Cold Air Feeds

JamJay

California Bound
Hello all. The AMD RR day is approaching in just over a month so I want to get some testing done with different methods of increasing the airflow/decreasing air temps into the turbo.

1st up, air ducting for the Neuspeed seeing as it's already on there. So can anyone tell me what the maximum diameter is that I can use (without relocating things), is it 3"? And secondly, where can I get it? Is it neoprene that I need? I looked in Halfords and they wanted £30 for a short length of PX stuff :headhurt:

dg-1984

May 28, 2008
Glasgow'ish
Ebay is a good place to get the ducting, I got 3" stuff off there similar to this CLICKY will prob find it a bit cheaper if you do a bit of searching, I just found it quickly to give an idea.

dg-1984

May 28, 2008
Glasgow'ish
Yeah B&Q might have some stuff similar but not sure they do black stuff, might be white, they could be used as ducting for tumble driers or extraction systems for example, doesn't need to be automotive stuff just any ducting will do, I used aluminium stuff before on the old car.

JamJay

California Bound
If this doesn't work though, I think I'll go uprated panel filter but i'll miss the induction noise. Drilling the box is an option I know but won't quite be as loud.

Are there any dyno printouts with an Induction Kit (with air feed) vs Airbox & an uprated PF?

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
I went to b+q when I did mine, the only stuff they had was massive stuff for tumble dryers etc.....yours may be different tho.

That stuff on the ebay link is a good price :)

JamJay

California Bound
I worked out that I need about 70mm. I bet B&Q stuff is a little over that but i'm not pay more than 1/2 the price of a Green or Jetex filter for the PX stuff from Halfords.

I was reading a thread in the Ibiza MK2 section that PF's were better so right now I have no idea as they are 2 separate engines we have here. If I do find out that a PF is better though, there will be a Neuspeed P-FLO for sale :). I'll get hold of a senconf hand air box mind you just in case I want to put the car back to OEM.

Last edited:

dg-1984

May 28, 2008
Glasgow'ish
I have drilled my airbox and just have an oem filter and it sound a little deeper, not that great in the car but have been told its louder out the car, my wee bro heard me coming along the road which is a good 400-500 yards away from my house, heard me before seeing me :)

nicksxjr

Revo....whiplash!
Jul 24, 2009
Somerset, taunton
ive got ramair filter and drilled airbox.

only really notice it pre 2500 rpm or on the motorway otherwise no noticeble difference except dv was louder :S

nicksxjr

Revo....whiplash!
Jul 24, 2009
Somerset, taunton
uh it felt smoother... but i didnt notice more power but im still getting used to it to be honest

i think the inductions produce a more noticable gain but like you say the issue is keeping them cool
but ive not used one on the car to say but id be interested to know the out come on weather its a worthy spend.

JamJay

California Bound
Well I went for the Neuspeed P-Flo as it comes with a shield. In fairness, the filter is alot cooler than the rest of the engine but could be cooler still. The OEM air feed is poo pants and has holes in it that air escapes from on it's way to the filter. If I was a wizard with silicone or knew someone who was, i'd try to make my own one. I am confident that the P-Flo can give gains or at least help somewhere, I just need to play with it a bit.

nicksxjr

Revo....whiplash!
Jul 24, 2009
Somerset, taunton
my cupra is pre facelift... :( so im not sure where to run cold air feed from... where will you locate yours intake side???? where does the standard one start from??? cant find mine.

JamJay

California Bound
I have a Cupra R but I haven't had a look at a Cupra engine bay before. But they are both 1.8T so can't bee too much in it. To be honest, you might be at an advantage because you have 1 intercooler where as I have 2 so you could probably run a cold air feed down to the bumper providing that the intercooler doesn't sit on the passenger/intake side. If it does then we're in the same boat and the logical route would be to go round the battery along the inside of the wing where the OEM one goes. The OEM one starts just right of the passenger side headlamp, from that little grille. It's plastic and restrictive and you can tell that it's not that great if you inspect it.

nicksxjr

Revo....whiplash!
Jul 24, 2009
Somerset, taunton
fair point
well after what you say about the standard intake if i can make it fit the air box i will invest.
definatly benefit from a colder flow. noticed yesterday in the heat it was really bogging down.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.