Cold Air Feeds

nicksxjr

Revo....whiplash!
Jul 24, 2009
Somerset, taunton
yes please. mines out of warranty for that recall!
my friend has a golf 20vt and hes chopped up the drivers side wheel arch to allow better flow to the standard intercooler.
im not sure if thats one to risk.....

mike2926

vroom vroom
Mar 18, 2009
Just outside Colchester
increase in noise.....it felt a little more responsive but not massivly. in the MKII golf there is a 3" cut out in the inner wing for this so i stuck it there. if i had mounted it so it went into the inner arch or grill it may have done a bit more.

from memory (a while back) it was by the brake bads and stuff on a shelf.

good stuff and stays rigid when bend which is good.

cheers

bristolsparks

Jun 24, 2009
i have a k&n 57i kit on my LC, i have used the cold air feed thats comes with it but also left the standard air feed that used to go to the airbox.

Should i replace this for a bigger feed so i will have 2 cold air feeds then suppling my induction kit or should i just remove it?

bristolsparks

Jun 24, 2009
ok so ill standard feed with 3'' running around the side of battery and then keep the feed that come with the kit running from the grill?

sounds like a plan

mike2926

vroom vroom
Mar 18, 2009
Just outside Colchester
? i dont quite understand what you are saying im afraid. if i were you i would just have 1, 3" feed from the grill to the k&n. if you can fit more in there go for a larger bit of ducting i.e 4" as having two feeds would look very messy and i think you are going to really struggle to get 4" ducting to fit in there let alone two feeds.

cheers

Jun 10, 2009
Newbury
i fitted an evo ms intake kit with the heat shield and for now bodged on some of that cheap halfords ducting for now. its only a few quid, but max size is 2 1/2".

jake

I AV MOSTLY BEEN BEATING
Feb 2, 2003
rochdale
Visit site
the only trouble you have with the lcr is the second intercooler where the lc filter would sit in the bumper,

on my last lcr i did manage to get some pipe down there but tbh you'd be better doing something with the inter coolers either the tt arch vent or fmic, once the air is through the turbo it will be up to silly temps anyway, so i dont think you'd get massive benefits other than sound from the relocated filter

EmDee

Omnishambolic
I've just managed to get a cold air feed down through the bumper on mine. I removed the fogs a while ago as I figured they're just blocking the SMICs and also adding weight, draining power etc etc. Anyway, I used some of that ebay neoprene ducting (76mm or 3") and set about the bumper with a stanley knife so I could get it past the intercooler.

Bumper-Chunk.jpg

Cold-Air-Feed.jpg

Foglight-Intake.jpg

The TT arch vent will finish it off nicely ;)

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
Jamjay if your just aiming for RR figures I would guese you'd be better off with an open cone filter as the bonnet will be up and AmD now have 3 massive fans so your fillter will get all the air it need's,
For everyday use defo get ride of the OE feed pipe and replace it wth a 3" one, as the guy's have already said you are a bit limited as to where you can run the feed due to the SMIC,
The figure's in my sig where achived with a modded airbox with PiperX panel filter and 3" feed pipe located behind the head light.
Mine make a nice noise too ;)

Last edited:

EmDee

Omnishambolic
The figure's in my sig where achived with a modded airbox and 3" feed pipe located behind the head light.
Mine make a nice noise too ;)

I gotta say, DK drilled and dremeled my OE airbox for me and it did sound hella good! I had a Pipercross filter in there and had no reason to change it other than I got a really good deal on the green cotton dual cone powerflow badboy. I reckon you could just run that same feed up from the foglight duct into a stock drilled airbox with a decent panel filter and that would be just about as good as anything. I especially liked the bark it gave when you boot it from low revs. :D

EmDee

Omnishambolic
the whooshywhooshy is waaaay louder, but that low rev bark is quieter - I think it's cause it used to echo round the box. I love the new improved noise, but I liked the grunt from the box too. I still get the bark but its not as loud as it was.

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
Thanks for the advice, I will try and ram a 3" feed in there tomorrow or Sunday. Any more info on this TT arch vent, links, pics etc?

There's a few ways of doing this, The "proper" way is to buy the inner archs from a TT225 from Audi or just cut vent's in you OE inner arch's. It allows the air to pass through the intercoolers better allowing better cooling.