Collinite 845

Stebb

Dec 28, 2010
Machynlleth
I have an Audi s5 owning pal who uses this to wax his black paintwork. Anyone got any experiences of it? Good/Bad? Is there better??

PS I've had my car a week now and it needs a wash.......!

irf

Feb 5, 2014
I've only just started using it on mine. Before I was using R222 which is brilliant but not very long lasting. The colinnite is meant to be good and last a good few months if not more.

Didn't have a problem buffing it off but was a bit more fiddle to apply but that could be me being used to the r222 which was like soft butter.

Been a couple of weeks since I've applied and still beading perfectly.

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
TBH I prefer Bilt Hamber Finis Wax. It's no harder to apply and seems more durable. I'm actually disappointed by the lack of durability with the Colli.

Chemical Guys hardcore paste wax is pretty good too and good value. Carnauba/nautrual waxes are better on dark cars.

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
Colli on the wife's Zetec S:

Beading wasn't that great and sheeting was visibly poorer after one month. I also think the depth to the shine was due to the DA correction with Sonax Perfect Finish rather than the Colli.

Flake pop with Finis Wax, on my ST:

Last edited:

twitchynik

Sep 12, 2006
Not used Collinite but Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection after Super Resin Polish once or twice a year and Rapid Aqua Wax after every wash (spray on whilst you're drying) keeps the water beading just fine.

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Jmac cars look great especially the Deep Impact Blue Fiesta. If you want really intense beading pop some Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer on top, you will have the protection and looks and beading then.

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
Jmac cars look great especially the Deep Impact Blue Fiesta. If you want really intense beading pop some Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer on top, you will have the protection and looks and beading then.

Thanks! I tried Sonax BSD when it first came out. Agreed the durability and beading is amazing but it's a PITA to apply; I found it too thick and grabby. This is probably why they've brought out a new (improved?) version

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/detailing-sprays/sonax-turbo-detailer/prod_1381.html

Once I get through the gallon bottle of Chemical Guys Pro Detailer then I might give it a go….

Stebb

Dec 28, 2010
Machynlleth
Cheers Guys - I'm going to 'borrow' the Collinite this weekend (weather permitting) and give it a go. It will be the cars first wash since I picked it up from the showroom.
I got the car that was on display and I'm convinced there's no polish at all on there yet. I've not had metallic black before either so hoping to bring up the finish something like in JMAC's blue?

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
Make sure you give it a good clean before you apply wax or the wax will just seal the dirt in and won't be bonding with the top coat of the paint. You might get an initial good finish but it won't last and you're just throwing money down the drain.

Good thing to do is put your hand in a sandwich bag/petrol forecourt glove and run it over the paint of the car, after you've washed it. If it runs over it smoothly then you're good to go. If it's rough and grabby then you should think about claying the car and maybe polishing first.

See here (good site if you take the Americanism's with a pinch of salt):

http://www.chemicalguys.eu/detailing-flow-chart/

Good advice here too, see the 'Decontaminating Paint' section:

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/car-care-advice.html

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Thanks! I tried Sonax BSD when it first came out. Agreed the durability and beading is amazing but it's a PITA to apply; I found it too thick and grabby. This is probably why they've brought out a new (improved?) version

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/detailing-sprays/sonax-turbo-detailer/prod_1381.html

Once I get through the gallon bottle of Chemical Guys Pro Detailer then I might give it a go….

I agree can be crabby, and initially hated it. I find using one microfiber to spread and another new or super clean one to bring up the shine works best for me.

Stebb

Dec 28, 2010
Machynlleth
Thanks for the advice JMAC. I started Saturday morning with the washing and found a few tricky areas: the gloss plastic between the windows had some strange marks about 5mm from each edge, along the top of the windscreen and between the rear screen and the metal work were harbouring muck, plus a definite line across the bonnet took some shifting.
The wheels/tyres must have thrown some fitment 'gloop' out to with some awkward streaks to deal with.
There was no beading at all evident so I guess no polish on the car yet.

So, after the wash I grabbed some lunch, only to find some lovely person a few doors down the road had decided to take an angle grinder to some concrete blocks, covering the whole thing in fine dust. Bah.
As he was still cutting I had to stop for the day.

So, I know the plan for next weekend....... !

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.