Condensation

AdamC11

Jan 24, 2015
Bolton
Hi.

Is anybody else struggling with condensation? When I got in the car this morning, it was frozen on the inside.

Most days there is a lot of condensation inside the car. It takes ages to get rid of.

Any tips on how to stop or get rid of it easier?

Cheerz

fastnfat

Dec 4, 2010
Birmingham
Hi.

Is anybody else struggling with condensation? When I got in the car this morning, it was frozen on the inside.

Most days there is a lot of condensation inside the car. It takes ages to get rid of.

Any tips on how to stop or get rid of it easier?

Cheerz

I find using the climate control all of the time helps to dehumidify the interior.

Dt-spd

Sep 1, 2015
Rugby
I had the same issue despite climate always being on. Bought some moisture trap bags that I keep in the car and now I don't get the condensation.

Porker3

May 17, 2015
Crystal cat litter inserted into something like a pop sock works too. May be a cheaper option. Same sort of thing really.

andycupra

status subject to change
ok..

condensation...
the qty of moisture that air can hold changes with temperature. in short, warmer air can hold more moisture than cold air, - this is why you get the term 'relative humidity' as this takes into account air temperature. eg 50% relative humidity at 20 degrees - if the air then reduces in temperature the relative humidity % will increase even though the qty of moisture in a volume of air is the same.

when the air gets to 100% it cannot hold the qty of moisture and so condenses..

this time of year is perfect for condensation as air is relatively humid and then reduces in temperature.

example:
you get in the car, you breath, your clothes are damp, you keep the windows closed as its cold - these all increase the humidy of the air.
in tandem you turn the heaters on, this allows the air to hold more moisture...
then the car is parked up.
the air reduces in temperature, the car is relatively sealed so the air doesn't circulate/change and eventually the air reaches the point it cannot hold the moisture, (dew point)
the glass of the car, particularly the windscreen tend to be cold (compared to say the dash) and so the air across glass tends to be the area in which condensation occurs.

(similar to people getting condensation in headlights, particularly after washing the car, and it may go if you put the lights on and hear up the air)

anyway, what can we do to reduce this:
using air con is mentioned above, this can dehumidify the air and reduce the chances of condensation.

but other factors can be:
1 - the wet rag you used to wipe the window, - this sits in the car? adding to humidity? (consider a sealed bag)
2 - the wet coat, did you leave this in the car? - in fact anything wet, damp or moist in the car? (the mrs?)
3 - probably not in this case, but older leon's suffer with leaking door seals...
4 - when near to your destination the cabin will be warm and humid. so try and reduce the humidity before you park up. open the windows and give the cabin a blow through. (you can also turn the heaters off but not critical).

these will help reduce the opportunity for condensation, - but ultimately its something that occurs and you cant get rid of it entirely. - air circulation is the typical approach, (eg extractor fans or open window in bathrooms). so an option is also to leave the window slightly open, but then this can allow rain in!

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
ok..

condensation...
the qty of moisture that air can hold changes with temperature. in short, warmer air can hold more moisture than cold air, - this is why you get the term 'relative humidity' as this takes into account air temperature. eg 50% relative humidity at 20 degrees - if the air then reduces in temperature the relative humidity % will increase even though the qty of moisture in a volume of air is the same.

when the air gets to 100% it cannot hold the qty of moisture and so condenses..

this time of year is perfect for condensation as air is relatively humid and then reduces in temperature.

example:
you get in the car, you breath, your clothes are damp, you keep the windows closed as its cold - these all increase the humidy of the air.
in tandem you turn the heaters on, this allows the air to hold more moisture...
then the car is parked up.
the air reduces in temperature, the car is relatively sealed so the air doesn't circulate/change and eventually the air reaches the point it cannot hold the moisture, (dew point)
the glass of the car, particularly the windscreen tend to be cold (compared to say the dash) and so the air across glass tends to be the area in which condensation occurs.

(similar to people getting condensation in headlights, particularly after washing the car, and it may go if you put the lights on and hear up the air)

anyway, what can we do to reduce this:
using air con is mentioned above, this can dehumidify the air and reduce the chances of condensation.

but other factors can be:
1 - the wet rag you used to wipe the window, - this sits in the car? adding to humidity? (consider a sealed bag)
2 - the wet coat, did you leave this in the car? - in fact anything wet, damp or moist in the car? (the mrs?)
3 - probably not in this case, but older leon's suffer with leaking door seals...
4 - when near to your destination the cabin will be warm and humid. so try and reduce the humidity before you park up. open the windows and give the cabin a blow through. (you can also turn the heaters off but not critical).
5. Are you (or your passengers) chubby, sweaty people?
6 are you indulging in in-car aerobics which could be producing sweat, you dirty, dirtyboy?

these will help reduce the opportunity for condensation, - but ultimately its something that occurs and you cant get rid of it entirely. - air circulation is the typical approach, (eg extractor fans or open window in bathrooms). so an option is also to leave the window slightly open, but then this can allow rain in!

Added the points I'm sure you wanted to but forgot... :D

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
See you are getting technical as usual Andy.
currently bored and playing at being a house elf as unable to drive ( medical reasons) so have to amuse myself somehow, being a bit of a chubster myself know only too well how sweaty you can get :sick:
As for in car aerobics ,my days of any such nonsense are long gone...:D

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
My old Leon was terrible at leaking so the condensation was terrible in winter, just never cleared. My Cupra now has water tight door sills and i have never had problems with condensation. The only steaming up it gets is when things are getting a bit fruity. :D

pmmcbl

May 13, 2016
If you have condensation on the inside could also mean you have a water leak. I had a water leak in the boot of my mk3 and made the rear window pretty impossible to clear.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
currently bored and playing at being a house elf as unable to drive ( medical reasons) so have to amuse myself somehow, being a bit of a chubster myself know only too well how sweaty you can get :sick:
As for in car aerobics ,my days of any such nonsense are long gone...:D

Not being able to drive and having the 290 sitting there must be a bummer, hope you recover soon. I had similar last year after my op and couldn't drive for two weeks, no bike riding and just stting watching daytime tv is murder.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members