Cone Filter or Panel Filter

andymarshall106

Nov 29, 2010
Larkhall
Got a green cotton panel filter fitted at the moment. was thinking of changing to a cone filter but mostley for sound..

Any suggestions to whats best? heard some rumours of cones loosing power?

Jun 14, 2009
Cones don't really lose power tbh but they sound mint! My engine sounds a bit louder now when you plant your foot down plus i get a nice whistle/sucking sound when at 6800 rpm :)

Jun 14, 2009
I got mine from AP Turbo i think its just an open cone filter bolted straight to the TB.

lawrieIbizaMk4

Team Boc!
Aug 31, 2009
Milngavie, Glasgow
www.bebo.com
Definitely have a look at the JR Jetex ones andy, they're dry so won't ruin your MAF sensor. Bill at badger5 on here is the best guy to speak to about getting the right one :)

Just remember to mention you're going stage 2 as the bigger the cone the better

Chriswaite130

Byebye TDI, Hello VTEC y0
Jan 24, 2008
Northumberland
Definitely have a look at the JR Jetex ones andy, they're dry so won't ruin your MAF sensor. Bill at badger5 on here is the best guy to speak to about getting the right one :)

Just remember to mention you're going stage 2 as the bigger the cone the better

+1 I run this filter and its good, meant to be one of the best.

£40 delivered from partbox

TALBOTL

Aug 2, 2011
Derbyshire
I was thinking more noise wise on the TDI pal as opposed to performance, is it worth it for that cone filters get mixed reviews, I wouldn't swap for an aftermarket panel filter as the OEM one is just as good, just have visions that the TDI would sound deadly with a good quality cone filter :)

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
I was just trying to find a cracking pic that was on the tdiclub recently, some guy had a really cheapy cone filter and it ended up jammed in his turbo lol, it was funny :D

Chriswaite130

Byebye TDI, Hello VTEC y0
Jan 24, 2008
Northumberland
To be honest I think it sounds pretty good for a tdi with a cone and turbo back exhaust, can really hear the turbo. As for performance, depends on what power you're searching for but the big turbo guys run cones - don't believe the hype about the 160 intake being amazing as apparently when going for big power its very restrictive.

If you're after a Jetex filter you want a jetex fr-08001 which has the right size neck for the pd130

Apr 13, 2011
hull
I have a Jetex cone filter on my pd160 mainly for the sound because I like the sound they give off but the size u need one a pd160 Ibiza is 80mm

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members