Cone, or box filters

waylander

Dear All,

My first post here, though read for a while.

I have a Leon FR 1.9tdi (150 bhp 55 plate) and have been thinking of starting to sorting the air flow out, and intake seems the cheapest place to start. Now i know you can just drop a new panel filter into your box with minimal effort and no insurance kick backs.

But the cones look like they would be more effective? but I'm fairly sure these must be dealred on your insurance? what are peoples opinions and what would you guys do?

Cheers and regards

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
I rang my insurance company to check, told them the panel filter I'm about to fit wouldn't make an appreciable difference to bhp so they said they wouldn't put the premium up but would have to note it on the policy as a mod.

I gather open cones and other stuff that you'd replace the OEM airbox with will be more effective than a panel filter in the OEM box but you might struggle to get that past the insurance company.

marv_n69

Standard'ish Cupra R 225
Jul 30, 2009
Open cone filters don't add that much BHP anyway, 2-3BHP so you wouldn't notice much difference from a panel filter!!

sambryant

RoadRunner meep meep
Mar 26, 2009
Bristol
dont tell the insurance company. its a easy swop to put the air box back on. also they always ask to your knowledge is the car standard. so if it springs up, play dumb, you didnt no that was a mod and its always been there.

Twiggy86

New Here, Old There
Mar 2, 2010
Stockport
Have done that with all my cars to be honest "bought the car like that, so I thought it was normal" but then again I have never had a crash :)

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
They can still refuse to pay out if you have to claim though, ignorance (feigned or genuine) doesn't cut it with insurance companies.

For something like an air filter or even an induction kit just ring them, say you'd like to do it but make it clear it doesn't add any bhp to the car. Chances are they'll want it noted on your policy but not charge you anything extra for it. My lot are happy for me to change the air filter and dump valve on this basis.

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
They can still refuse to pay out if you have to claim though, ignorance (feigned or genuine) doesn't cut it with insurance companies.

For something like an air filter or even an induction kit just ring them, say you'd like to do it but make it clear it doesn't add any bhp to the car. Chances are they'll want it noted on your policy but not charge you anything extra for it. My lot are happy for me to change the air filter and dump valve on this basis.

Excatly right although most will put air filter down as a peformance increase its just how much of an increase you can get away with without the policy going up to much.

Having dealt with loads of insurance assesors in the past they will get out of paying any way they can.

Lying to them and ignorance is not excuse.

sambryant

RoadRunner meep meep
Mar 26, 2009
Bristol
when i had my fiesta st. that was stage 2. so it had ss manifold, decat and cat back. K&N typhoon induction and remap. that car was written off. what happen i drove throught a flooded road. the car sucked up water and blew up. as it was water damaged it also needed a new loom. so the insurance write it off. i got 7k back for it.(i only paid 5.5K for it :))
anyway i didnt tell them about the mods i had done to it. so i guess i was very lucky, didnt feel so luck the night it happend tho :(