How To: Retrofit a heated steering wheel to a Mk3 Leon

Purple Tom

Sep 7, 2008
Derbyshire, UK
Hi,

I'm a long term member but small time poster on this forum. I'm on my second mk3 Leon and thanks to Lozzy's guide I did a heated seat retrofit on the first Leon I owned. What I really wanted for that car was a heated steering wheel - I suffer from raynauds and work outside a lot, so having warm hands is a big deal for me.

When I ended up in another Leon I started researching and found that a HSW retrofit did seem to be possible on the mk3, albeit there wasn't a huge amount of info online. It involved using the steering wheel from a mk4 Leon.

I cobbled some information together and set out on the retrofit, which I'll detail as best as I can here with what is required. It's actually a really easy retrofit once you get the right parts and if you look around it needn't be mega expensive. I have to thank Kieran at East Yorkshire Retrofit who was helpful with providing part numbers and some moral support along the way (y)

The total cost for me to do this retrofit is in the region of £450. So it's not the cheapest by any stretch however if you keep an eye out on eBay and other selling sites the parts do come up for sale at reasonable prices as more and more mk4's get crashed, broken etc.

*I'm not writing this as an idiots guide and won't include how-to's for things like removing the glovebox, airbag, steering wheel or other things. There are guides for that online if you need them, but please only attempt this if you're competent to do so*

(Click on the thumbnails for bigger images)

Parts required:

- Mk4 Leon heated steering wheel - there are plenty of variations of part numbers depending on whether you need DSG or manual, FR trim, Xperience trim, SE trim, Cupra trim etc but a good starting part number for eBay searches is 5FA 419 091. Then look for wheels with the tell tale heated steering wheel button on the bottom right of the right hand multifunction button unit. None heated wheels will have a phone symbol in that place:

IMG_2383.jpeg

If you find a bare wheel with no button units then you're looking for the extra two wires on the wheel itself that provide power to the heating elements:

IMG_2387.jpeg

- Mk4 Leon airbag - this is shared across all cars as car as I can tell albeit with different covers depending on if its a Cupra or Seat. A good starting point for eBay searches is 5FA 801 201

-
Steering wheel wiring loom - I don't know the P/N for this because it came with the airbag that I bought however it's crucial so if you find either a wheel or an airbag for sale with it included then snap it up. It looks like this:

IMG_2382.jpeg

- Steering wheel control module (also known as clock spring or slip ring) - 5Q0 953 549 B or 5Q0 953 549 D. The 'D' suffix is the newest part number, supercedes the 'B' suffix and is available new on eBay for around £150. These control modules have a different type of plug (14-pin as opposed to 16-pin) which has larger power and earth pins for the HSW, pictured here:

75D7423E-1BCC-4C90-9853-F184393DE64F.jpeg

- MQB platform NONE CRUISE CONTROL wiper/indicator stalk unit. There are hundreds of minor variations of P/N but you're looking for stalks that match those of the Mk3 Leon that don't have cruise control on the indicator stalk. That's because the mk4 steering wheel has the cruise buttons integrated into the wheel.

- Kufatec MQB heated steering wheel retrofit loom - the Kufatec part number for RHD cars is 43696-1.

OR*

- 14-pin multiplug so you can re-pin the existing 16-pin plug - 5Q0 972 726
* if you choose to repin the existing plug (as I did) then you'll need to sort out some wiring and pins to suit the power feed and ground wire needed to power the HSW.

The Kufatec loom makes it pretty much plug and play.

Tools needed:

Standard workshop tools including Torx bits
12mm triple square (splined) bit for the steering wheel centre bolt
VCDS (or equivalent) for coding - Hex-Net or Hex-V2 as a minimum for MQB coding.

Procedure:

- Grab a quick VCDS snapshot of the long coding on your current steering wheel module in case you ever return the car to standard.

- Disconnect the battery

- Remove the airbag, steering wheel, cluster trim and column shroud trim:

IMG_2355.jpeg

- Remove the steering wheel control module and column stalk unit.

- Remove the glovebox, head unit and both centre console side trims.

- Unclip and pull out the fusebox

- Run the Kufatec loom from column to the fusebox using an appropriate routing where it won't chafe on anything

- Fit the power feed and earth of the Kufatec loom to the fusebox and surrounding area according to their instructions
(if building your own loom, you can use fuse position SC24 or any along the same row - they are a terminal 30 feed)

-
Refit the fusebox

- Fit the new column stalk unit and steering wheel control module

- Plug the Kufatec loom into the steering wheel control module
(if building your own loom, now is the time to re-pin the original column plug into the new 14-pin plug - this is well documented on other forums however the pin-out is as follows:

Pin 1 (16-pin) red/white to Pin 2 (14-pin)
Pin 2 (16-pin) brown to Pin 4 (14-pin)
Pin 3 (16-pin) orange/brown to Pin 5 (14-pin)
Pin 4 (16-pin) orange/green to Pin 6 (14-pin)
Pin 5 (16-pin) black/white to Pin 7 (14-pin)
Pin 6 (16-pin) black/red (if present) to Pin 13 (14-pin)
Pin 7 (16-pin) purple/red to Pin 12 (14-pin)
Pin 8 (16-pin) purple/blue to Pin 14 (14-pin)
Pin 11 (16-pin) blue/grey to Pin 9 (14-pin)
PIn 14 (16-pin) black/grey to Pin 10 (14-pin)
Pin 16 (16-pin) black to Pin 11 (14-pin)

Pin 1 of the 14-pin plug goes to a 15A fuse protected terminal 30 feed
Pin 8 of the 14-pin plug goes to earth.

- Refit the centre console side trims, cluster trim and steering column shroud.

- Refit the glovebox and headunit.

- Fit the heated steering wheel

- Fit the small wiring loom to the new steering wheel. **Depending on how it's wired you may need to move the blue horn feed wire from the small multiplug in the wheel to the yellow airbag multiplug to allow the horn to work. It's dead obvious when you compare the loom with the loom from the original steering wheel - use that as reference because the wire colours are different.**

- Fit the new airbag

Double check you're happy with everything, then reconnect the battery. Should look something like this:

IMG_2361.jpeg

Fire up VCDS again, do the relevant coding.

Module 08 (HVAC) - Coding - Long Coding Helper (and say "yes" to the "trying experimental features" to see more descriptions of bits)

- Byte 11: Add a tick to bit2 and bit3
- Byte 13: Choose whether you want the wheel to come on automatically with either outside temperature or wheel temperature or not at all.

Done!

Enjoy a little HSW logo come up on your HVAC control screen:

IMG_2421.jpeg IMG_2422.jpeg

Enjoy the extra screen where you can alter the temperature:

IMG_2423.jpeg

Check on VCDS to see what's going on in the measuring blocks within Module 16 -Steering Wheel:

IMG_2424.jpeg

Look forward to having warm hands come the winter.

NB - Mine is a 2016 manual FR so I didn't have to worry about any coding of the DSG paddles etc. All of the steering wheel buttons worked on my car without any issue. Yours may not be the same, but any issues would be easily solvable with the relevant coding alterations I'm sure.

Thanks (y)
Tom

mjj4

Sep 30, 2019
Awesome write up! I am about to embark on a rather large project with my MK3 Leon but when it's done I will be looking to do this for sure! Thanks

Reactions: Purple Tom

Slavixs

Jan 24, 2023
Does ACC and other assistants work with buttons from steering wheel? Just I have ACC and Line assistant and would like to retrofit this steering wheel.
Do we need some additional coding for acc, or just change to correct stalks and everything works well trough buttons?
Thanks In advance!

Purple Tom

Sep 7, 2008
Derbyshire, UK
My car hasn’t got ACC or Lane Assist so I can’t answer those questions definitively.

However, the buttons on the steering wheel function through the can and lin buses so I can’t see any reason why they wouldn’t work on a car equipped with those options.

Slavixs

Jan 24, 2023
Thank You Tom for fast answer. I think it's worth a try. Will collect parts slowly until summer and then will try to do retrofit. Any way, thank You for great write up, this definitely will help to do this retrofit.

Reactions: Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Sep 7, 2008
Derbyshire, UK
In case anyone is interested, I’ve now sold my Leon so have listed the steering wheel and airbag on eBay:

I’ll be keeping the steering wheel module and loom that I made because the next project is also MQB so they’ll come in handy, it’s just not a Leon.

Thanks
Tom

Feb 28, 2023
Hi @Purple Tom

Do you need the different wiring loom AND the kufatec ?

If i wanted the new wheel and didnt care about the heated element what would i need ? Just the Wiring loom and slipring ?

Thanks in advance!

Purple Tom

Sep 7, 2008
Derbyshire, UK
Hi @Purple Tom

Do you need the different wiring loom AND the kufatec ?

If i wanted the new wheel and didnt care about the heated element what would i need ? Just the Wiring loom and slipring ?

Thanks in advance!
If you just want to fit the mk4 wheel then all you need is the wheel, airbag and small loom inside the wheel. It’s a plug and play fit to get the majority of the buttons working. Of course it depends on your cruise control/ACC/cluster set-up as to exactly what will work in terms of those functions but the basic buttons should work without any issue.

Feb 28, 2023
If you just want to fit the mk4 wheel then all you need is the wheel, airbag and small loom inside the wheel. It’s a plug and play fit to get the majority of the buttons working. Of course it depends on your cruise control/ACC/cluster set-up as to exactly what will work in terms of those functions but the basic buttons should work without any issue.
Thats good news thank you.

I have a 2019 Leon Cupra Lux. Picked up a MK4 cupra wheel with the push start and mode change buttons. Got the cruise control on the stalk so not worried about that or the heated element. As long as the standard buttons work like view change and volume etc ill be happy. Then just need to find someone to code in Push Start and M,ode Change i think.

You dont have the part number for the airbag wiring loom do you ? Im fairly certain its this (3C8971584F) but not 100%.

Purple Tom

Sep 7, 2008
Derbyshire, UK

I have a 2019 Leon Cupra Lux. Picked up a MK4 cupra wheel with the push start and mode change buttons. Got the cruise control on the stalk so not worried about that or the heated element. As long as the standard buttons work like view change and volume etc ill be happy. Then just need to find someone to code in Push Start and M,ode Change i think.

You dont have the part number for the airbag wiring loom do you ? Im fairly certain its this (3C8971584F) but not 100%.
I’m afraid I don’t know the PN for the loom because the one I bought didn’t have it on; it came with the wheel.

jt20vt

Sep 17, 2010

East yorkshire retrofits can do this. Had this fitted on my cupra st by them.

Feb 28, 2023
East yorkshire retrofits can do this. Had this fitted on my cupra st by them.
I have emailed them (as i saw their post about it) but they dont seem particularly interested in doing it to be honest.
Also asked VW retrofit who said they wont do it either.

Purple Tom

Sep 7, 2008
Derbyshire, UK
Just completed this retrofit by myself, thanks for detailed instructions. New wheel looks way better than the old one and the heating is just gorgeous!

Leather is new, thread is red instead of FRs original red-orange and the trims are from Cupra in order to fit better in FR interior.

pRerMVF.jpg

Nice 👌🏻 Glad to hear it went successfully 😎

Tom

Reactions: grabania

Dasher

Nov 21, 2023
@grabania doe you happen to know the part number for that steeringwheel and airbag module? All I find is the gold cupra one, not the chrome trim like you have. Thankyou!

grabania

Aug 14, 2022
Gdansk, Poland
grabania.pl
@grabania doe you happen to know the part number for that steeringwheel and airbag module? All I find is the gold cupra one, not the chrome trim like you have. Thankyou!
In my experience the Cupra ones are much more popular and easier to find. For the steering wheel there are so much options that I have prepared table for myself based on ETKA and available photos in the Google. Here is the list:

NoVersionACC buttonTravel Assist buttonPaddles
5FA419091LStyle / othernonono
5FA419091MXcellencenonono
5FA419091PFRnonono
5FA419091AAStyle / otheryesnono
5FA419091ABStyle / othernonoyes
5FA419091ACXcellenceyesnono
5FA419091AEFRyesnono
5FA419091AMFRyesnoyes
5FA419091DNCupranonoyes
5FA419091DPCuprayesnoyes
5FA419091DQCuprayesyesyes
5FA419091EGStyle / othernonoyes
5FA419091EKXcellenceyesnoyes
5FA419091ELXcellenceyesyesyes
5FA419091EMFRnonoyes
5FA419091ENFRyesnoyes
5FA419091EPFRyesyesyes
5FA419091ETStyle / othernonoyes
5FA419091FBStyle / othernonono
5FA419091FFStyle / othernonoyes
5FA419091FGStyle / otheryesnoyes
5FA419091FKCupra with extra buttonsyesyesyes
5FA419091FLStyle / otheryesyesyes
5FA419091FNCuprayesyesyes
5FA419091FPCupra with extra buttonsyesyesyes
5FA419091FSCuprayesyesyes
5FA419091FTCupra with extra buttonsyesyesyes

For the Airbag with Seat logo there are three available part numbers, where "lower" numbers has been substituted with "higher" ones. I don't know which one you should buy, but each of them should fit to any Leon KL/Formentor steering wheel. You can buy 5FA880201N, 5FA880201AS or 5FA880201BD

• Love
Reactions: Dasher

Dasher

Nov 21, 2023
Oh wow, thank you so much. You really put a lot of effort into that!

I found a nice FT here, I wonder if I can get the start and cupra button working :)? now for the other bits.

Last edited:

grabania

Aug 14, 2022
Gdansk, Poland
grabania.pl
Oh wow, thank you so much. You really put a lot of effort into that!

I found a nice FT here, I wonder if I can get the start and cupra button working :)? now for the other bits.
It's not that easy to enable those buttons. I have found somewhere on the Russian forums that in order to make them work you need to change Slip Ring to specific one, also BCM and GW needs to be in specified version ("at least version X" which I don't remember). I am not going to discourage you, but be careful what you order!

P.S. if you are going to buy steering wheel from Formentor with those extra buttons then you also have to buy Cupra airbag, or at least buy cable between airbag and slip ring from Formentor, because there is one or two extra pins

Slavixs

Jan 24, 2023
Had done this retrofit to my Leon 5F. Done everything by instructions mentioned here.
ACC buttons and paddles works as they should work. No coding was needed for them.
I removed original ACC stalk as got everything on steering wheel.

Only got one issue, steering wheel heat button is not working. I can turn on from HVAC setting screen, or it can turn on automatically if temperature is low, but button is not working on wheel. is there any other coding for button, of for You guys who had done it, it is just working stright away?

Photo 02-12-2023, 14 50 20.jpg

Photo 02-12-2023, 12 41 22.jpg

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.