How To: Retrofit a heated steering wheel to a Mk3 Leon

Dasher

Nov 21, 2023

grabania

Aug 14, 2022
Gdansk, Poland
grabania.pl
I just found this topic, might give them a shout to activate the cupra/engine button.

As I said earlier some folks from Russian forum did this and list of parts that’s needed to be changed in mk3 is rather expensive: Formentor wheel with extra buttons, airbag loom from Formentor (1 or 2 more pins, I don’t remember), Formentor slip ring, newer BCM and Gateway, not mentioning required coding, component protections, immobiliser and parametrisarion. Also this mod is useless unless car is equipped with driving profiles and kessy

Dasher

Nov 21, 2023
I've asked them for a quote together with ACC/LaneAssist and Keyless Go (dont care about keyless entry). It's gonna be expensive either way needing a new windshield and everything, so might as well see what it would cost to integrate with the wheel. Indeed, not much point of having that button active without the keyless bit. We'll see what they say. I have my 2nd kidney up for auction, in case anyone here was looking for one.

• Haha
Reactions: grabania

Slavixs

Jan 24, 2023
@Slavixs I must say that it looks amazing with VC, great work! :love:

Regarding your issue with not working button - you might want to check coding in the gateway
@grabania Thank You very much for this hint. Now everything works excellent.

Probably somebody knows, like on Skoda Kodiaq when You press "seat heating button" on Infotainment display pops up heat level, and also steering wheel heat level soft buttons. Is it possible to do same on Seat?

grabania

Aug 14, 2022
Gdansk, Poland
grabania.pl
Probably somebody knows, like on Skoda Kodiaq when You press "seat heating button" on Infotainment display pops up heat level, and also steering wheel heat level soft buttons. Is it possible to do same on Seat?
I've tried to enable it in my MK3 but I was not able. My guess is that you need to flash HVAC firmware from Skoda in order to enable this.

Reactions: Slavixs
Feb 13, 2024
Can someone help me with this one pls ...?
Steering wheel work well but i want the buttons to be red ? Is it possible?
I have seat leon 5f and mib 1.

grabania

Aug 14, 2022
Gdansk, Poland
grabania.pl
Can someone help me with this one pls ...?
Steering wheel work well but i want the buttons to be red ? Is it possible?
I have seat leon 5f and mib 1.
There is no OEM option for MFSW buttons to be red. You can even google something like “Ibiza 2023 interior” or “arona 2023 interior” and you will see mix of white buttons on the steering wheel and red buttons everywhere else, even in the new Seat cars.

Of course with some determination, knowledge and skills you can try soldering red LEDs in place of the white ones, but I don’t know the size of those components

1707865545561.jpeg

Feb 13, 2024
I have one last question... I will add the loom tomorrow, but i wanted to enable in vdcs the heated steering wheel... But even if i see the bit i can't enable it for some reason? Is it because it need the loom installed? Or is it bc my car doesn't support it ? (The new steering wheel was not installed too !)

grabania

Aug 14, 2022
Gdansk, Poland
grabania.pl
I have one last question... I will add the loom tomorrow, but i wanted to enable in vdcs the heated steering wheel... But even if i see the bit i can't enable it for some reason? Is it because it need the loom installed? Or is it bc my car doesn't support it ? (The new steering wheel was not installed too !)
You should be able to code it in module 08 regardless of heated steering wheel being installed or not.

How does your HVAC panel looks like? Is it automatic or manual? I've heard that automatic HVAC is required in order to make this work

Feb 13, 2024
You should be able to code it in module 08 regardless of heated steering wheel being installed or not.

How does your HVAC panel looks like? Is it automatic or manual? I've heard that automatic HVAC is required in order to make this work
Look above 😅

Feb 13, 2024
That's it ... I can't ... And i have a issue with my cruise control not working anymore and another one...
Vcds don't ask me for experimental too ? For some reasons.
1000030271.jpg
1000030266.jpg

grabania

Aug 14, 2022
Gdansk, Poland
grabania.pl
And i have a issue with my cruise control not working anymore and another one...
Relax! There is a lot to check and change in order to make it work, especially if you have installed used parts. My guess is that you have coding for accessories that your car is not equipped with. That's why cruise control is not working and you have those warnings on the dashboard.

First of all what kind of cruise control do you have, normal or ACC? Look in Module 19 (Gateway) -> Adaptations -> Multi Function Steering Wheel Control Module - Version and change it accordingly to you equipment (GRA or CCS for standard cruise control, ACC for, well... ACC)

Next you should check long coding of Module 16. For me worked value 0C 10 for DSG and 0C 20 for manual gearbox.

After each change turn ignition off, remove key and turn ignition on again in order to let modules adapt to itself. If this does not help then please provide autoscan and we will try other things.

Reactions: Slavixs
Feb 13, 2024
Does the coil warning mean the cruise control and start and stop are not working 🥲🥲 ? Bc the do not work anymore 😭

Feb 13, 2024
Relax! There is a lot to check and change in order to make it work, especially if you have installed used parts. My guess is that you have coding for accessories that your car is not equipped with. That's why cruise control is not working and you have those warnings on the dashboard.

First of all what kind of cruise control do you have, normal or ACC? Look in Module 19 (Gateway) -> Adaptations -> Multi Function Steering Wheel Control Module - Version and change it accordingly to you equipment (GRA or CCS for standard cruise control, ACC for, well... ACC)

Next you should check long coding of Module 16. For me worked value 0C 10 for DSG and 0C 20 for manual gearbox.

After each change turn ignition off, remove key and turn ignition on again in order to let modules adapt to itself. If this does not help then please provide autoscan and we will try other things.
I alway forgot to it the reply button 🙃
All above ! I can't try vcds now bc someone give me his unit ... Now i don't have it anymore... So i need to buy one 🥲 so have to wait t'ill then .

Slavixs

Jan 24, 2023
I alway forgot to it the reply button 🙃
All above ! I can't try vcds now bc someone give me his unit ... Now i don't have it anymore... So i need to buy one 🥲 so have to wait t'ill then .
CC is not working because it is more likely that it is programmed to stalk not to steering wheel. You need VCDS or OBD11 or other programming device to do correct coding and it will work like it should. Of course if You get correct parts. Also error about abs, steering wheel, wheel pressure, etc., will disapear after a short drive with steering wheel turns, it must adapt angle sensor, then alarms will disapear.

From my case, NEVER buy steering control module from China, e.g. aliexpress.. I Got same error as @grabania. Aliexpress module just stopeed working heated steering wheel. I checked module, wires and etc is ok, something wrong in board itself. Other things was still working.

As we have still winter here in Latvia, and I can't get correct module fast enough but got module form Kodiaq (5Q0953569B) laying around, I decided to use it. So Wiring pinout was same as needed, but unfortunately it not fit to the stalks. I was lucky to get very cheap stalks from Tiguan (5Q0953502AJ) that fits these module. I was need to cut one place to fit it on steering column, and wuola, I got heated steering wheel again. :sneaky:
Photo 05-02-2024, 18 27 47.jpg

Photo 10-02-2024, 14 33 24.jpg

Just one thing is when turn ignition on, it drops fault about heated steering wheel in VC, but immediately disappears. Heating works ok, and all 3 heating levels are working ok (instead aliexpress module have only 1 - max heat). In OBD11 error it is like something about temperature sensor, but in live data it shows correct temperature. So for now I leave like it is, but later when some correct original module will be available for reasonable value I will get one for sure.
Photo 10-02-2024, 17 36 45.png
Photo 10-02-2024, 15 12 53.png

Last edited:
Reactions: grabania