Connecting Laptop to car (VAG?)

tobywuk

Feb 13, 2007
Hello,

I have read that it is possible to connect a laptop to a car and get information?

Im just wondering:

Where is the connection port in the mk2 leon?
Do i need special software, and if so what?
What hardware do i need?
What can i do with this?

AR-CoolC

Feb 3, 2006
Lincoln
Sounds like your talking about VAG-COM. I don't know much about it myself other than it's the diagnostic tool for VAG cars.

What I do know though is that the port is behind a panel below the headlight switch.

mattbeef

Apr 10, 2007
Sheffield
you need the rosstech website to get the software.
there are two versions of it though the free one and the paid version.

you can use the free one and get limited functionality with an ebay cable or go full hog and get the payed for version with all the bells and whistles

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
I do this alot.

Basically the most common way is a piece of software called VAG-COM from ross-tech.
This is a great fully functional piece of software that does many things. you really need to look at the website for the full list of features.

the diagnostic port is on the below the headlight switches behind a panel. just use a screwdriver to get this off.
It is a typical ODB2 port that all VW cars use, but as its based on the Mk5 platform you need to get a CAN-BUS compatible cable.
Rosstech do a CAN-BUS only lead on there webstore, this also contains the software licence embedded. This costs $249 and well worth it. Nows the best time to purchase from the USA as well!

for example you can:
read, graph, and log, a huge amount of sensors on the car. must be around 100 different ones.
you can read and clear error codes on the car ECU
Gain other info abut the car
Change settings in the ECU for car features like, weight of power steering and how the doors lock.
You can also run diagnotic tests on the car.

well worth the money.

Last edited:

tobywuk

Feb 13, 2007
do you always keep the laptop plugged in when your driving? if so where do you put your laptop?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise