coolant disappearing?

sambo19

sambo
Oct 20, 2006
worcester
havent been using my car too much recently but took it out today and when i got back i saw the bonnet steaming and the fan on so put the bonnet up to see the expansion tank was empty, took loads to top it back up. took it out again later on and got back home to find the same problem, i cant actually figure out where the coolant is going? i ran it for a while at idle and could find no leaks anywhere, any suggestions?!

sambo19

sambo
Oct 20, 2006
worcester
the exhaust is fine, no smoke or anything. if its got a small leak im guessing it wouldnt be easy to spot if its running at idle? inside the car is fine aswell which would be a matrix problem wouldnt it?

Hangten

Could be you water pump. You will have to peer under the cambelt cover.

Mine just had that problem!

sambo19

sambo
Oct 20, 2006
worcester
naaa i havent really had the chance cuz of all the crappy weather, as soon as it clears up il give it a good going over. i asked the question first to see if you guys wud beable to give me sum things to look for. thanks for your help!

sambo19

sambo
Oct 20, 2006
worcester
yeh its all running completly fine, getting no hotter than normal, no white substance in the oil cap/ dipstick. i havent had chance to let it stand from cold and get hot to see if any leaks happen then. havent had the time or light so far, weekend job for me.

bwtalbot

Feb 10, 2009
If it helps...

My thermostat housing was leaking. Definately check that. Also, check that your thermostat and housing arent broken. I know the pin from the centre of the thermostat has a habit of breaking and going into the housing connected to the hose and ****ing everything up.

If water isnt circulating it will all piss out of the water tank. Feel the two pipes connected to your radiator, they should be the same temperature, if theyre not (1 hot, 1 cold) then water isnt circulating.

will cost you about £14 for thermo and housing. An 8mm ratchet spanner is useful also.

sambo19

sambo
Oct 20, 2006
worcester
If it helps...

My thermostat housing was leaking. Definately check that. Also, check that your thermostat and housing arent broken. I know the pin from the centre of the thermostat has a habit of breaking and going into the housing connected to the hose and ****ing everything up.

If water isnt circulating it will all piss out of the water tank. Feel the two pipes connected to your radiator, they should be the same temperature, if theyre not (1 hot, 1 cold) then water isnt circulating.

will cost you about £14 for thermo and housing. An 8mm ratchet spanner is useful also.

if thats a common fault then its worth gettin it changed anyway isnt it?!
anything will help so thanks chap, fom what eveyone has replied it seems that this thermostat housing could well be the problem, it would make sense as my heating gets warm with the car then all of a sudden the heat dissapears and the fan kicks in and theres no water, thats is when the thermostat kicks in isnt it?? problem is i was driving the car at the time so wouldnt have seen if any water was pissing out

bwtalbot

Feb 10, 2009
will check this on mine tomorrow, but want to ask why does my car never get warm, like i mean the water, and through vents, any ideas??

you either have no thermostat, or one that doesnt work at all. the thermostat is designed to let water circulate when it gets to hot. if you have no thermostat or it is letting water through freely, the engine will never get warm.

also, if your engine is never getting warm, it will not be running efficiently, so less power, less efficiency, and increased wear as the oil wont be heating up and thinning out to lubricate properly.

captin_urbis

Not a Member
Dec 2, 2008
Lancashire
i does get warm, but not much, well its not comming through the vents anyway, recently got a temp sensor tht goes in the rad but need to check other ones as well as it doesnt show on clocks tht its getting warm but it does sometimes if tht makes sense???

Wilson

May 19, 2007
i does get warm, but not much, well its not comming through the vents anyway, recently got a temp sensor tht goes in the rad but need to check other ones as well as it doesnt show on clocks tht its getting warm but it does sometimes if tht makes sense???

If its getting warm when the car is stationary (sitting in traffic) and going colder again when you get moving then you probably don't have a thermostat or maybe its stuck open.

bwtalbot

Feb 10, 2009
If its getting warm when the car is stationary (sitting in traffic) and going colder again when you get moving then you probably don't have a thermostat or maybe its stuck open.

i agree. its easy to check, you just need an 8mm spanner/socket. it to the right of the engine slightly underneath the engine cover, just follow the hoses from the radiator.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise