• Guest would you be interested in CUPRA or SEAT valve caps? let us know in the poll

• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

Coolant Leak help

Jul 9, 2024
Bristol
Hi all,
I've got a coolant warning light come on and discovered a leak front drivers side RHD, of engine dripping down at the front of the belt cover.
I'm thinking it's probably a gasket somewhere?

See attached photo.

Anyone know where it might be coming from and what the fix might be? Also cost involved?
20240709_173343.jpg

20240709_173323.jpg

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
If it's a tdi it could be the water pump, it's driven off the timing belt and sits down there. Not sure if the petrols are the same but think they use timing chains?

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Is it a slow gradual leak - or a sudden loss?
Common for the heater matrix to block up on tdi's which causes your coolant to locally boil and escape out your header tank, causing a sudden coolant loss.
If a slow gradual loss then your coolant pump is down there as mentioned.

Jul 9, 2024
Bristol
Is it a slow gradual leak - or a sudden loss?
Common for the heater matrix to block up on tdi's which causes your coolant to locally boil and escape out your header tank, causing a sudden coolant loss.
If a slow gradual loss then your coolant pump is down there as mentioned.
Medium loss, not leaking from header tank overflow so guessing coolant pump. Local garage suggested the same. Booked in for Friday for investigating/ replace water pump and cambelt.

Jul 9, 2024
Bristol
Just to complete this thread incase it happens to anyone else it was the coolant / water pump. Local garage replaced pump, cam belt and tensioners for me. Cira £600.

Mechanic showed me the old pump which was grinding like a good in, luck I caught it in time...

Reactions: mty12345

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Just to complete this thread incase it happens to anyone else it was the coolant / water pump. Local garage replaced pump, cam belt and tensioners for me. Cira £600.

Mechanic showed me the old pump which was grinding like a good in, luck I caught it in time...
Sounds like a very fair price. Not familiar with the engine but gotta be a fair bit of labour

SuperV8

May 30, 2019

Nice.
What's the mileage/age?
Was that the original/genuine pump - or has it had the cam belt/pump changed?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.