Coolant level drop cupra 280

DougCupra280

Feb 17, 2019
I have never seen this in 40+ years in the trade and fiddling with all sorts of cars. It could only possibly happen with unreinforced hoses which are never used in pressurised systems.
How about some photos?
OK - try releasing the cap on your car while the system still has some residual pressure heat and watch the level rise in the tank. There will be some expansion in even reinforced hoses. This should only be a small amount. If the level goes up too much it would indicate air in the system somewhere.

MGCupra

Mar 28, 2016
Had the same issue with our 16 plate 290.32k on the clock. Sorted with 2 months left on the warranty

arronleeds

Jul 27, 2017
Had the same issue with our 16 plate 290.32k on the clock. Sorted with 2 months left on the warranty

Funnily enough same mileage roughly, did you have any mods on your car when you took it in? I’m worried they will refuse it due to my exhaust.

MGCupra

Mar 28, 2016
No mods. Was waiting for this to be sorted then getting a milltek cat back put on. :). It's a common fault as has been said. A lot of threads on vw vortex with the golf r. Only issue I had was getting all paper work for the services as I did t use a seat dealer for the servicing.

arronleeds

Jul 27, 2017
No mods. Was waiting for this to be sorted then getting a milltek cat back put on. :). It's a common fault as has been said. A lot of threads on vw vortex with the golf r. Only issue I had was getting all paper work for the services as I did t use a seat dealer for the servicing.

What il do mate is print loads of forum posts and say look this is a common issue I want it sorting under warranty otherwise I’m just gonna make it worse for you

Ken H

Dec 20, 2015
Cork , Ireland
Had the thermostat housing replaced on mine just before warranty ran out. Pretty sure it was faulty 1/2 years before it was done. Dealers told me just to top up, it’s normal. I told them it wasn’t , it uses none now.

arronleeds

Jul 27, 2017
Had the thermostat housing replaced on mine just before warranty ran out. Pretty sure it was faulty 1/2 years before it was done. Dealers told me just to top up, it’s normal. I told them it wasn’t , it uses none now.

I’ve looked at my thermostat housing mate and it looks fine, I have a video of underneath the car and was told by a vw technician it’s the pump, here’s the screenshot he took, you can see coolant on it

Attachments

• F69898EE-8D43-4CAE-A439-53095494BFCD.jpeg
    F69898EE-8D43-4CAE-A439-53095494BFCD.jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 96

Ken H

Dec 20, 2015
Cork , Ireland
Good stuff, at least you know where you are with it now. If anybody is topping up their coolant level often it means you have a problem. Dealer did that with mine for 2 years I reckon ! I didn’t make too much of a fuss until the warranty had 2 months left. At least now I have some come back if the problem arises again.

Reactions: arronleeds

arronleeds

Jul 27, 2017
Good stuff, at least you know where you are with it now. If anybody is topping up their coolant level often it means you have a problem. Dealer did that with mine for 2 years I reckon ! I didn’t make too much of a fuss until the warranty had 2 months left. At least now I have some come back if the problem arises again.

I know what dealers are like mate that’s the only reason I’m concerned they will try void my warranty because I’ve had my silencers removed. Anyhow here’s a better picture of where I believe to have the leak, someone on the fb page has kindly put a pic up of his and I’ve highlighted the area in the pic

Attachments

• A893FA35-EEF1-4608-958F-514D2D051B48.jpeg
    A893FA35-EEF1-4608-958F-514D2D051B48.jpeg
    432.9 KB · Views: 88

arronleeds

Jul 27, 2017
Getting worried now, started car up earlier and there was some smoke and I can smell something sweet if I put my nose to the exhaust

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
Getting worried now, started car up earlier and there was some smoke and I can smell something sweet if I put my nose to the exhaust

White/non dark sludge if you remove the oil cap and look underneath it?

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
Was it purchased from trade or a dealer etc? I’d be taking it back by now.. signs point towards slightly more serious issue than a leak or pressure block :)

arronleeds

Jul 27, 2017
Was it purchased from trade or a dealer etc? I’d be taking it back by now.. signs point towards slightly more serious issue than a leak or pressure block :)

Was purchased at a dealer in Kendal, I’m starting to think this issue was already present just not as bad, I have 1 years manufacturers warranty so it should cover everything. It’s booked In for next saturday

Redline

Nov 3, 2016
The only liquid that should be top upped on a car is PETROL and wind washer fluid.
Unless you have a unique engine that eats OIL and manufacturer states TOP UP OIL.

Every other liquid should be in a sealed closed system that needs to be replaced every now and then but not "topped up"
If it's gone it's going somewhere it shouldn't.

VW never did an official statement about these busted water pump seals.
It's just neglect / bad work as i think this part is done manually at the factory.
If you put the new seal there and torque it down wrong again it will bend the seal again.
VW changes the whole pump unit with a new seal instead of just the seal. I am sure you can order just the seal and replace just that.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
The only liquid that should be top upped on a car is PETROL and wind washer fluid.
Unless you have a unique engine that eats OIL and manufacturer states TOP UP OIL.
All IC engines use oil by design. That's why manufacturers have a spec for normal oil usage. If they didn't, you would be replacing pistons and rings every 10,000km's.
Often this usage is not noticed by owners because by-products of combustion that accumulate in the sump, fuel, water, carbon, dirt, etc, compensate for any slight amounts of oil usage and the level doesn't change.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.