Coolant Level Drop

FR3000

Feb 14, 2008
North East
Been noticing very slow drop in coolant level over a period of time with my Ibiza FR Petrol (2005). If it's topped to mid-way between min and max when cold it will eventually drop below the min mark over a period of about 2 months or so (on average that would mean about 2500 miles based on the mileage I do)

There are no obvious reasons for this; the head gasket is pukka (i.e no marks, oil loss, chuffing noises, power or mpg drop).

Before I go 'hunt the cooling system leak' in and/or under my engine bay has anyone else seen similar things and - does anyone know of a common place where the cooling system is likely to show a weak point? (e.g a known point in the system where people have reported leaks)?

Only likely places that spring to ming would be a joint somewhere or the water pump.

Cheers

S

bubbles1

Nurburgring Lover
Dec 28, 2008
Llandudno
Sometimes the expansion tank can leak slightly.

Mine looses a very small amount like yours but has been doing it for years with no ill effects.

I just top up every few months with a g12 mix.

FR3000

Feb 14, 2008
North East
Cheers

I spoke to my mate today who has an Audi A4 and he tells me he's seen the same thing and that his has been running below minimum over winter.

Also when I popped the bonnet after the 18mile drive to work today it was sitting between the max and min levels (this should be when it's cold) but still it shows there still a fair amount of expansion so perhaps this will improve in warmer weather

I'll be picking up some G12 tomorrow should I need to keep giving it the odd top up.

Guess I'll just keep an eye on it for now.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members