Cost for Seat garage to reconnect rear washer?

punk beatz

Apr 11, 2009
Hi guys,

This is a common problem by the looks of it! My rear washer has stopped squirting water, although there is no leakage in the boot (or anywhere else I can see.)

I've seen guides on how to take off the boot trim using a Torx 20, but I'm wondering how much it would cost at a Seat garage? If it was a reasonable price I'd pay it to save me the aggro. I didn't realise Seat's service teams were all off this weekend, so I can't get a price from them. My dad is visiting Sunday so I wanted a rough idea so we could decide whether we'd do it ourselves.

I don't mind doing it myself, but since I can't find leakage anywhere I'm worried that when I get the boot trim off it might not be where the pipe has disconnected. If there's no leak in the boot could this still be the place where the pipe is disconnected? Where else can the pipe become disconnected and how can I check? As you may have worked out, I'm a bit of an amateur!

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
This is a very common problem with Ibizas and tends to happen in the winter if you run just water in the reservoir. I now run concentrated windscreen washer stuff, to stop it freezing again!
Mine went in the engine bay. There is a join under the airbox (on the 20VT lump) and ECU, just before the pipe runs into the bulkhead between engine and cabin. To check where the leak was, I ran the washer jet for about 10 seconds to see where the split was. The water was pissing out of the engine bay, so I knew it was in there. There is a join at the reservoir and the one where mine went!

The general area you need to look in
DSC00089.jpg

You can see the suds in this one!
DSC00090.jpg

punk beatz

Apr 11, 2009
Thanks Gooner_Mike, I'll have a look at that.

Any idea on how much it would cost at a garage though? It happened just before I had my first year service and they did it for free, but now it's out of warranty I'm not sure what the cost might be.

Mar 16, 2008
Wiltshire / Bristol
The washer pump is by the front passenger wheel, and there is a connection on that. It could have gone there, which has happend to me before. To get to it I took the front bumper off, but you should be able to get to it by removing the wheel arch lining at the front of the wheel arch.

You could try undoing a few of the toex screws on the front of the wheel arch and seeing if you can see the leak before you pull the whole car apart.

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
Has happened to me in two places, the same as Mike and where the pipe actualy goes onto the wiper motor. PITA to do.

Not as bad as doing it on a mk4 Golf though. Took me about 2 hours to find the one in the rear 1/4 panel in the gf's golf. She came out to se how I was getting on and foung half of her interior out and me swearing at the car. She just turned round and went back in the house shaking her head :lol:

Dan_Biza_Boi

189 bhp 312 touqe
Mar 29, 2008
gillingham kent
thanks i will try and and find it
the first place i looked was in the boot and 1/4 panel its still a pain doing it in the ibiza but when i held the pump running then i see the puddle at the front cheers dan

Mar 16, 2008
Wiltshire / Bristol
Can you get someone else to hold the wash on to see if you can see where the leak is coming from? Might give you an indication of whether its the connector at the bulkhead or pump.

mymorph

Feb 21, 2005
wolves
i took the rear panel off about 2 weeks ago to try and find the missing link - to no avail all looked connected. that rear panel feels pretty flimsy and easily damaged i reckon.

Dan_Biza_Boi

189 bhp 312 touqe
Mar 29, 2008
gillingham kent
is that why the connectors pop off to stop the pump from getting damaged in cold weather like when the pipe is frozen
this what i got told by seat dealer

Mar 16, 2008
Wiltshire / Bristol
Never heard that excuse before! Doesnt make any sense to me... running the pump for a few seconds when there is a slightley larger back pressure on the pump than usual wont damage the pump.

Its down to a poor design, and a seat dealer either not knowing what they are talking about or trying to make up for the design flaw!

Mar 16, 2008
Wiltshire / Bristol
Never heard that excuse before! Doesnt make any sense to me... running the pump for a few seconds when there is a slightley larger back pressure on the pump than usual wont damage the pump.

Its down to a poor design, and a seat dealer either not knowing what they are talking about or trying to make up for the design flaw!

Mar 16, 2008
Wiltshire / Bristol
Agreed, but if the pipe has become disconnected at the pump then it should be a one off fix. When I had my bumper off, I also found that the pipe had been rubbed through - that could also be your problem. Its worth a look through the wheel arch to check.

If you use screen wash and not plain water, the pipe shouldnt pop off behind the wiper. It happens when it freeses and expands, pushing the pipe off.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
is that why the connectors pop off to stop the pump from getting damaged in cold weather like when the pipe is frozen
this what i got told by seat dealer

I think that that is partially the correct answer, its all down to owners being too tight to "up" the concentration of the washer fluid - or too thick to realise that not doing this could cause problems, the many inline fluid pipe connections actually do, it seems stop the pump dead-heading under cold conditions - but the piping will be arranged this way to easy assembly at the fatories.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members