Couple of Q's

leedebs

Dec 12, 2006
Firstly does anyone use the door mirror folding feature at all, if so has anyone had issues with one mirror "sticking" and not moving into the closed position?
Doesn't happen all the time but really annoying. I will mention it to the dealer on the next service anyway.
Also I mentioned on another post about the noise from the engine & am beginning to think that the water temperature seems to have an effect.
The temp sometimes takes a long time to get to 90 degrees & in this instance the engine is fairly quiet, but other times when the temp reaches 90 degrees fairly quickly then the engine is very noisey. :cry:
Does this sound like something is wrong?
tbh at idle from start up and when cruising the noise is not too bad but it seems when driving around town at lowish revs the noise is more prounounced :confused:
Oh & what engine is the quietest of the 1.9 TDi or the 2.0 TDi versions?

Last edited:

Trident

Mirrors - mine used to creak and groan and almost seem like they were never going to make it closed or open.
Told the dealer at service and they changed the whole mirror housings and motor units under warranty.

ALT54

Dec 9, 2004
I had same problem with drivers mirror which was changed under warranty a couple of weeks ago. noticed yesterday that the passenger mirror is doing the same, so looks like another trip to the dealer.

Don't notice too much problem with engine noise.

Paul

leedebs

Dec 12, 2006
Mirrors - mine used to creak and groan and almost seem like they were never going to make it closed or open.
Told the dealer at service and they changed the whole mirror housings and motor units under warranty.
Mine started off like that, so now yours are okay then? No problems?

Trident

Yep - they seem quieter than ever and really smooth - I think there must have been a bad batch from the factory.

AR-CoolC

Feb 3, 2006
Lincoln
I've had my drivers mirror replaced under warranty also!

I had to fix the passenger one myself though when a seagul had a game of chiken with me:doh:

AN06DRW

Now You SEAT Now You Dont
Sep 19, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
I noticed that if you tap the mirror when it is trying to fold away it will stop probably some sort of safety measure to prevent the motor burning out if something was preventing it from folding so sounds to me like there a bit of friction between the joint dealer should be able to sort it.

leedebs

Dec 12, 2006
Any thoughts about the noise from the engine.
Is the 2.0tdi quieter than the 1.9tdi?

yell_oh

Nov 5, 2006
Folding mirrors... running in!

I've used the folding mirrors every single time I park, mostly from the remote fob rather than the switch inside (so you can use them to check for traffic before hopping out!)... and they automatically fold back out when you start the engine.

They get smoother with age, think they need to "run in" (probably just wearing the friction surfaces smooth). Mine work really nicely now. If they stuggle, it may be worth trying some silicone based lubricant around the two faces that swivel against each other.

leedebs

Dec 12, 2006
I test drove both, and I'd say the 2.0tdi is quieter than the 1.9tdi.

night & day difference or only slightly in your opinion?
Wondered because most people don't seem to have an issue with the noise on either version, maybe other peoples hearing is less prone to noise & mine is more sensitive.:(
I test drove both & on the test drive I thought the 2.0tdi was very quiet & smooth in comparison to the 1.9tdi, beginning to think there is something wrong with mine now because I stood next to a 1.9tdi Golf plus today & that seemed a lot quieter than mine [:@]
Could have got a better spec 1.9tdi version an all! :shrug:

AN06DRW

Sep 19, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
i put my mirrors away every time aswell but not tonight.....why i hear you ask :confused: last night after my nightshift i went out did the usual scrape of the windscreen for this time of year and the mirrors didn't fold out ther was a small layer of frost on the joint bit but it was enough for the motor to think it was jammed and cut off eventually i gave them a wee nudge round as they were trying to fold back out. thought this was worth a mention

Xe

Yello! if you do ever get that re-map in your sig, please post about where you get it and how much, as i also stay in Glasgow ;)

As for mirror, I have no problems at all so far, but then the car is parked under ground over night, so frost and ice is not an issue.

Don't know which is the most quiet as I have only driven the 1.9 tdi, but would be interested to know.

AN06DRW

Sep 19, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
It will be through Bickets they've got a contact that they use and they said when i was buying the car that it would not affect any warranty work as long as i wasn't putting the BHP up to crazy ammounts

BanziBarn

FR TDI & Type-R
Jun 5, 2003
Greater London
Visit site
Mine wouldn't fold out last night, took a few twists of the knob to make them work. Maybe it was frost.

How do you make the mirrors fold from the remote, I like the sound of that!

yell_oh

Nov 5, 2006
Just hold the lock button down for a few seconds, it will close all the windows and fold the mirrors. Similarly holding unlock down for a few seconds will open the windows, mirrors will unfold when you turn ignition on.

duncerduncs

Nov 17, 2006
Reading
night & day difference or only slightly in your opinion?
Wondered because most people don't seem to have an issue with the noise on either version, maybe other peoples hearing is less prone to noise & mine is more sensitive.:(
I test drove both & on the test drive I thought the 2.0tdi was very quiet & smooth in comparison to the 1.9tdi, beginning to think there is something wrong with mine now because I stood next to a 1.9tdi Golf plus today & that seemed a lot quieter than mine [:@]
Could have got a better spec 1.9tdi version an all! :shrug:

I'm used to driving a 2250bhp common rail diesel every day, so maybe I don't notice the noise of mine! :D

I would say the 2.0tdi is a lot quieter when warm, with no 'diesel rattle' on idle. I drove a Vauxhall Astra 1.7 (100bhp) CDTi before my Leon, and the difference is night and day!

leedebs

Dec 12, 2006
Thanks for your input guys I will mention the noisey engine & the problem with the folding mirrors on the first service visit

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.