Couple of questions on tuning the Cupra...

dannemare

Dreamscience do a sexy as unit where you can adjust settings. Am hoping revo will come out with something similiar in the future.

As a note, with revo, say your car breaks down and you want to get it towed to the dealer, if you disconnect the battery for 20 minutes, it will reset the revo settings to 0 across the board, ie revo's version of stock mode, and the car will drive as if it isnt mapped. A handy tip there. ;)

Errrm, is the select plus switch not what you want?

Don't forget APR's cool EMCS feature:

"Want chipped mode? Want to be able to switch back to your stock settings? Want a race mode to run 100 octane fuel at the track? How about a valet mode that limits power? EMCS is the lone technology on the market that can give you all of these options. No changing of the chip or ECU is required. These programs are available at the touch of a button."

"APR's EMCS features and program modes are activated via your OEM cruise control buttons for ease of use and stealth. Your cruise control will continue to function as normal, but will give you the ability to scroll through the programs you have purchased with your APR ECU Upgrade. The procedure is simple and involves only two steps."

goapreu.com /products /ecu_upgrade_20tfsi_trans_265hp.htm (sorry, can't post real links yet)

See a video demonstration of EMCS here: youtube.com /watch?v=XOEiFbSHKqk

Vidal Baboon

Right then.

I tried & failed to get hold of my local REVO dealer in the time I had spare to get the job done.
I'd like to thank Kevin Hall for taking the time discussing the remap & replying to this thread.
I was'nt looking to waste your time, unfortunately it did'nt work out & I could'nt get down there on my day off.

Next port of call was Custom Code, who did'nt get back to me. Lost customer as a result.

So, I went with Superchips.

Regardless of the apparently dubious sales shpeil, I looked on their webpage at the Stage 1 remap, up to a 44bhp gain- as a bonus the dealer was 8 miles away as opposed to 60odd.

SC sales dyno graph here: http://www.superchips.co.uk/curves/LeonCupra 240bhp.pdf

Sales shpeil here:
http://www.mybluefin.co.uk/index.ph...e&task=searchblue&action=AllModels&Itemid=135

I've had the stg 1 fitted & TBH I was surprised, when I read the results initially.

Well, dissapointed really.

I was expecting alot more from what I hear everyone else gets from a stg 1 map.

The car was running 97octane & managed 240.7bhp as standard.
With Stg 1, it made 261.4bhp- a 20bhp gain at peak bhp.

But, it gained up to 50bhp across lower parts of the rev range.

I have the dyno sheets in my car I'll try & scan in tomorrow while at work to show you what it made.

After driving it, I am pleased, it's deffinately more alive & urgent.
But it's not got the OMG acceleration I was expecting before I read the peak figs.
Maybe was bigging it up too much in my own mind, meh... Who knows.

So, call it a day, or keep going?

If I keep going, the last thing i'm interested in doing is the Stg 2 map for a few quid more.

Seeing the rather paltry figures I got for sgt 1, what should I expect for the next level?
What i'm trying to ask is- is a SC Stg2 map the equivalent of a REVO stg 1?

http://www.mybluefin.co.uk/index.ph...e&task=searchblue&action=AllModels&Itemid=135
It states to get the figures on their page, I'd need a sports cat & filter.

If these are not fitted, will it run lean- does it require an upgrade of the HPFP, and lastly, will it melt my cat after time?

And, what to expect from that? Are the Superchips maps bordering on the side of conservative?

A mate of mine who's run an Audi S2 with SC remap certainly thinks so...

I'm almost wondering if I have any underlying problems with my car, should it make more than that?

Vidal Baboon

Steve,

Initially- as I've only driven the car straight back home from the tuners, alot more eager low down, but does seem to run out of puff higher up.

Obviously, it does pull harder all the way through than before & will now red line with less tail off in power.

Poverty

Give the ecu time to adapt, when I first got revo I was also disapointed, but a day later and OMG. The revo just transforms the car and makes it pull HARD in any gear.

Vidal Baboon

Ooooohhh! I'm all excited now!

That honour will go to the wife though- if she comments on it- which I doubt, i'm blaming the power on super unleaded:cartman:

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Ooooohhh! I'm all excited now!

That honour will go to the wife though- if she comments on it- which I doubt, i'm blaming the power on super unleaded:cartman:

The ecu on the mk2's takes ages to adapt , dont worry you will soon have a grin on your face while driving and all the other drivers will wonder what you are smiling at ;)

Kev Hall2

Oct 7, 2009
Bristol
Sorry if I'm being thick, how does an ECU adapt - does it not run to fixed code? Does it mean that if you drive slow it reduces power and visa versa.

Poverty

Sorry if I'm being thick, how does an ECU adapt - does it not run to fixed code? Does it mean that if you drive slow it reduces power and visa versa.

yes potentially. The ecu adapts to your driving.

Vidal Baboon

Right then, I think the car has got quicker, but only marginally from the first drive.

What to do about the Stage 2 remap?

My car is standard, and pretty much staying that way- i.e. I don't want to mess around fitting hi-flow cats etc...

Panel filter, yes, but thats it I think.

So, is it safe to run the Superchips stg 2 software this way?

I understand things may wear out quicker, but that's par for course;)

Poverty

Right then, I think the car has got quicker, but only marginally from the first drive.

What to do about the Stage 2 remap?

My car is standard, and pretty much staying that way- i.e. I don't want to mess around fitting hi-flow cats etc...

Panel filter, yes, but thats it I think.

So, is it safe to run the Superchips stg 2 software this way?

I understand things may wear out quicker, but that's par for course;)

If its only marginally quicker the superchips map must be rubbish or there might be a underlying issue with the car. Revo completely transformes cupras. Night and day difference.

A std cupra vs a revo cupra doesnt stand a chance, it will go past std ones as if the std one is going backwards.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
If its only marginally quicker the superchips map must be rubbish or there might be a underlying issue with the car. Revo completely transformes cupras. Night and day difference.

A std cupra vs a revo cupra doesnt stand a chance, it will go past std ones as if the std one is going backwards.

Not sure about that lad although it feels a lot quicker with the extra torque.

As an example, look at the 2 clips below. Admittedly Owens car was running GIAC, but 309bhp with no other modifications which is much the same as a Revo Cupra with no other mods.

Look here -

Run 1 - My stock Cupra vs Owens GIAC mapped Cupra - here
Run 2 - Owen getting a better start - here

Superchips cars will be somewhere in the middle.

InfernalBadger

Sep 6, 2006
Berkshire
My bluefin completely transformed the car. Above 4500rpm it pulsl savagely compared to before.

Main reason I bought it was that it was about £200 cheaper (Yes, I'm a pikey!) than the revo with sps and much easier to install and remove.

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
Don't forget APR's cool EMCS feature:

"Want chipped mode? Want to be able to switch back to your stock settings? Want a race mode to run 100 octane fuel at the track? How about a valet mode that limits power? EMCS is the lone technology on the market that can give you all of these options. No changing of the chip or ECU is required. These programs are available at the touch of a button."

See a video demonstration of EMCS here: youtube.com /watch?v=XOEiFbSHKqk

GIAC also offer the same options - you can even change between maps on the move.

Photo0634.jpg

Vidal Baboon

Apologies for being unclear- I was refering to the time taken for the ECU to adapt.
It feels quicker than the first drive home from having the remap done.

I have a picture of the map on my phone which I'll down load in a minute- I just need to blank out my number plate;)

Although initially the figures from the RR were a let down to say the least, I have to say it drives a whole lot better & dare I say it better (ish) on fuel than before.

It's deffinately more muscular lower down, which is what I was after.

I'd be interested to see what another brand Stg 1 Cupra feels like to compare.

Vidal Baboon

graph.jpg

BTW, this was running on 97 Octane at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.