Crazy Fuel Prices!

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
It’s caused quite a debate and I have to say, I wasn’t sure when I saw pictures of it but it looks much better in the metal - especially in black! I forget all that when I drive it as it drives superbly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Definitely a bit of controversy on the front end. I agree they look better in the real world. I've just had an convertible M sport diesel through work. I think it was badged M40i or something (no knowledge on the BMW's) but it was a lovely looking thing!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
I’ve got a mk3 Cupra 280 stage 1. It is good one fuel. I only use Shell V-Power now after having the remap. It is better for the engine in the long run, and slightly improves mpg. In Stoke-on-Trent it ranges from £1.95 to over £2 per litre depending on when are where I go. I like to call the stations beforehand to get the prices, but some don’t disclose. It’s sad.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I’ve got a mk3 Cupra 280 stage 1. It is good one fuel. I only use Shell V-Power now after having the remap. It is better for the engine in the long run, and slightly improves mpg. In Stoke-on-Trent it ranges from £1.95 to over £2 per litre depending on when are where I go. I like to call the stations beforehand to get the prices, but some don’t disclose. It’s sad.
Maybe join PetrolPrices and download their app so that you can check your preferred petrol brand availability and price from your mobile phone. There is one slight issue though, as I discovered when down near Canterbury a month ago, and that is, some, or at least one nasty/naughty Esso filling station probably manager, was using PetrolPrices to maintain their footfall and so that meant, that when I chose the one I did basically by location and price, price quoted was maybe 178.9 a litre for UL+, checked within the past 24 hours, when I pulled up it was 189.9 a litre for UL+ as a PetrolPrice member you are encouraged to report/update prices, I did that and that corrected their UL+ price - but only for a few hours, it went back down to it's previous price, so later on I again reported/corrected that price and that time it stayed at least for a day or so. So was that an error on the part of PetrolPrice, or as I suspected, a bit of naughtiness from that Esso filling station management. Either way that app is very useful when away from home or when willing to change your route to include a filling station visit to safe a bit a money without wasting a lot of money to make that saving.

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Maybe join PetrolPrices and download their app so that you can check your preferred petrol brand availability and price from your mobile phone. There is one slight issue though, as I discovered when down near Canterbury a month ago, and that is, some, or at least one nasty/naughty Esso filling station probably manager, was using PetrolPrices to maintain their footfall and so that meant, that when I chose the one I did basically by location and price, price quoted was maybe 178.9 a litre for UL+, checked within the past 24 hours, when I pulled up it was 189.9 a litre for UL+ as a PetrolPrice member you are encouraged to report/update prices, I did that and that corrected their UL+ price - but only for a few hours, it went back down to it's previous price, so later on I again reported/corrected that price and that time it stayed at least for a day or so. So was that an error on the part of PetrolPrice, or as I suspected, a bit of naughtiness from that Esso filling station management. Either way that app is very useful when away from home or when willing to change your route to include a filling station visit to safe a bit a money without wasting a lot of money to make that saving.
Yes, I was using that when I used regular unleaded, and it was very accurate. Obviously it’s only as accurate as it’s members, and relies on regular updates. I tried using it for V-Power but found, as it’s not as popular as regular unleaded or diesel, the prices weren’t updated as regularly, unfortunately. This is why I had to call beforehand to check prices.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUM4MO

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
@H Rafiq , that is a bit annoying for you, there is one Esso filling station sort of on my usual route but it changed hands and the prices have gone sky high even before the recent price rises - the downside of that seems to be that PetrolPrices are not receiving enough updates as obviously smart people avoid it, so a lot of the time its prices are "blank". So it will probably be visitors filling up as they head South as it will be their last fuelling point before the motorway and crazy prices.

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
@H Rafiq , that is a bit annoying for you, there is one Esso filling station sort of on my usual route but it changed hands and the prices have gone sky high even before the recent price rises - the downside of that seems to be that PetrolPrices are not receiving enough updates as obviously smart people avoid it, so a lot of the time its prices are "blank". So it will probably be visitors filling up as they head South as it will be their last fuelling point before the motorway and crazy prices.
It would be good if all petrol stations were required to publish their prices on a website or an app. They have their prices on a sign by the roadside, so why not a website? The only issue is, with premium fuels, they don’t show their prices at the roadside. We have to pull in to check these prices.

Reactions: RUM4MO

moriarty

Apr 6, 2015
Edinburgh
A couple of years ago the Morris Minor Owners Club gave members option to get a Fuel Pecker discount card, 3p off unleaded and 6p off Super at Esso or 1p off all at Shell. I used V-Power for years and rarely used the card but at current prices I'm buying Esso most of the time.
It looks like the Caravan Club also have/ had an agreement with them and i found some posts from 2020 that Petrolprices.com we're inviting people to join it. I guess we all had other things to think about back then.
I can't find any contact details for Fuel Pecker or Horizon Fuel Ltd, looks like they've stopped taking new customers at the moment but worth keeping an eye out in case they open it up again.

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
A couple of years ago the Morris Minor Owners Club gave members option to get a Fuel Pecker discount card, 3p off unleaded and 6p off Super at Esso or 1p off all at Shell. I used V-Power for years and rarely used the card but at current prices I'm buying Esso most of the time.
It looks like the Caravan Club also have/ had an agreement with them and i found some posts from 2020 that Petrolprices.com we're inviting people to join it. I guess we all had other things to think about back then.
I can't find any contact details for Fuel Pecker or Horizon Fuel Ltd, looks like they've stopped taking new customers at the moment but worth keeping an eye out in case they open it up again.
That’s a good idea. Perhaps fuel prices are being hiked to deter people away from petrol and diesel cars, and towards EVs.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
That’s a good idea. Perhaps fuel prices are being hiked to deter people away from petrol and diesel cars, and towards EVs.
I think that the original idea behind PetrolPrices.com was to come to an arrangement with some fuel suppliers, or at least their outlets, but that never managed to happen.
Round about that time, I think, a few car clubs regionally set up arrangements with regional fuel outlets, the only one I ever heard about localish to me, was in Central Scotland and the single fuel outlet was somewhere near Stirling - so that did not work for me.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I have experienced something similar with a local Shell station - petrolprices.com showing a good (recent, as in that day or the day before) price but when I got there was like 8p more! At the time I was angry as I had gone out of my way to get to that garage - but looking back on it I bet a similar thing was being done as you experienced.

SteveW

Jul 1, 2020
Salisbury, Wiltshire
So this week I've started playing a new game, given our current climate for fuel prices....

I have to take my daughter to work five days a week because she starts at 4am, doesn't drive and there are no buses at that time to get her there - and I dont' really want her walking 3 miles in the middle of the night!

It's a 6 mile round trip of 40/30/20mph limits. So I'm trying to get the best MPG I possibly can every trip... :D

Currently my best attempt was today.

20220622_041000.jpg

The best prior to that was 57.2 - but that was in "sport" mode. I've switched to "Eco" now to see if it makes any real difference, so we'll see. Today's could have been better possibly if the traffic lights on the roundabouts had been kinder to me :)

Reactions: SRGTD

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
So this week I've started playing a new game, given our current climate for fuel prices....

I have to take my daughter to work five days a week because she starts at 4am, doesn't drive and there are no buses at that time to get her there - and I dont' really want her walking 3 miles in the middle of the night!

It's a 6 mile round trip of 40/30/20mph limits. So I'm trying to get the best MPG I possibly can every trip... :D

View attachment 32527

The best prior to that was 57.2 - but that was in "sport" mode. I've switched to "Eco" now to see if it makes any real difference, so we'll see. Today's could have been better possibly if the traffic lights on the roundabouts had been kinder to me :)
That’s pretty impressive on a short journey - presumably starting with a cold engine. Which model of Leon do you have?

SteveW

Jul 1, 2020
Salisbury, Wiltshire
Yes, cold engine. 2016 Leon FR 184 ST manual.

my target is 60mpg but I reckon I'll need ALL the lights to be green and also have to remember to handbrake on/neutral to enable stop/start when I stop to achieve that :D :D :D

Still, it makes the stupidly early morning "dad taxi" run a bit more interesting.

And it only works if she gets up on time, otherwise we've got no chance :roflmao:

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Here's ours-2018 1.4TSi manual. This is mainly local journeys and we're about 40 mins by A and B roads to the nearest bit of dual carriageway where a decent average speed in 6th on cruise is possible, so I don't reckon our long term figure is too shabby (if it's accurate that is) (y)
20220519_134413.jpg

MATT RILEY

Oil burner
May 9, 2004
My best effort...

When you are young it's all about BHP
When you are old it's all about MPG.

TDI 150

Attachments

• PXL_20220616_160751830.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220616_160751830.MP.jpg
    546.5 KB · Views: 102
Reactions: queen and H Rafiq

SuperV8

May 30, 2019

Haha, yes I'm doing the same in my 184 - when you work out what 5+mpg over 15,000 miles can save you at nearly £2/L! why wouldn't you.
I now generally stick to 58 - 60mph - which sounds slow (and feels it at first!) but actually when you time the journey it's literally a minute or two slower for my commute! 1x red light can cost more time!
57 is good for such a short journey.
I usually get 60-62mpg on my 25mile work commute 70% dual carriage way at 60mph 30% negotiating traffic. If I only get 55 I guess its done a regen.
My long term ave is also around 62 - I think it was more like 52-55 last year post lock down - but pre stupid prices!
I have got 70mpg a few time now - first time I let out a little 'yip' and nearly work my sleeping girls up in the back :D above 70 I find is rare, my best ever for a trip being 74mpg on a 25mile run back from the inlaws. I think the wind must have been with me -

I find on a 20+ mile run;
Above 60mpg is quite easy with sensible driving as long as its not regening, although the other week we went to the beach for the day - 120mile trip - and I wanted to get there so sat at GPS 70mph and still got 66mpg!! I think it must have been down hill with the wind behind me!
Above 70mpg requires some effort - good traffic - green lights - no rain - little wind
I'm using standard 32ish pressures, and normal throttle - with sport steering - tried ECO but didn't really find any noticeable difference.

My rules::rolleyes:
less than 60mph - unless going down hill with free acceleration.
NEVER accelerate going uphill - I actually back off a little.
I use cruse control but only on the flat. Constant speed going uphill is equivalent to accelerating.
Try to gently accelerate going down hill when I know there is an uphill next to use my momentum working with gravity.
Try to avoid driving at busy times.
Avoid driving around my local town. Always walk or cycle.

Reactions: SteveW

SteveW

Jul 1, 2020
Salisbury, Wiltshire
Haha, yes I'm doing the same in my 184 - when you work out what 5+mpg over 15,000 miles can save you at nearly £2/L! why wouldn't you.
I now generally stick to 58 - 60mph - which sounds slow (and feels it at first!) but actually when you time the journey it's literally a minute or two slower for my commute! 1x red light can cost more time!
57 is good for such a short journey.
I usually get 60-62mpg on my 25mile work commute 70% dual carriage way at 60mph 30% negotiating traffic. If I only get 55 I guess its done a regen.
My long term ave is also around 62 - I think it was more like 52-55 last year post lock down - but pre stupid prices!
I have got 70mpg a few time now - first time I let out a little 'yip' and nearly work my sleeping girls up in the back :D above 70 I find is rare, my best ever for a trip being 74mpg on a 25mile run back from the inlaws. I think the wind must have been with me -

I find on a 20+ mile run;
Above 60mpg is quite easy with sensible driving as long as its not regening, although the other week we went to the beach for the day - 120mile trip - and I wanted to get there so sat at GPS 70mph and still got 66mpg!! I think it must have been down hill with the wind behind me!
Above 70mpg requires some effort - good traffic - green lights - no rain - little wind
I'm using standard 32ish pressures, and normal throttle - with sport steering - tried ECO but didn't really find any noticeable difference.

My rules::rolleyes:
less than 60mph - unless going down hill with free acceleration.
NEVER accelerate going uphill - I actually back off a little.
I use cruse control but only on the flat. Constant speed going uphill is equivalent to accelerating.
Try to gently accelerate going down hill when I know there is an uphill next to use my momentum working with gravity.
Try to avoid driving at busy times.
Avoid driving around my local town. Always walk or cycle.
That's some good figures you're getting there for sure!

I bought my Leon 184 back in June 2020, thinking that I'd be going back to work in the office (24ish miles each way commute). Back in the "olden days" I used to easily cover between 13-15000 miles a year. I've so far done 11,500 since June 2020 because I'm still working from home! Had I known I'd have probably bought the petrol version, but never mind, what's done is done.

My long term average is sitting at around 48mpg at the moment - but a lot of that is short journeys. I've done a couple of trips with it up to York from Wiltshire and the average for that is well into the 50s - but I've not been careful when driving, just driving normally - so I'm sure I could get it a fair bit higher if I tried.

For this morning's trip I switched mode to "eco" to see if it made any difference (I pretty much always run "sport" because I prefer it and especially prefer the red lights on the doors :LOL: ). I was lucky with the lights on the roundabouts this morning too, ALL were green.....

20220624_040934.jpg

DigitalSushi

Sep 7, 2020
60 mpg...

If i drove off a cliff i might stand a chance of that.

My drive to work is approximately 20 miles mostly 30, 40 or 50 zones on A roads.

Usually i am around the 28mpg but that is because a lot of it is country roads so i like to play. having sent the last couple of weeks driving miss daisy I am getting about 36mpg. Mostly killed by a couple of long hills. But it is torture to not put my foot down in the bends.

Have to say i have tried the "Eco" mode buried deep in the menu settings and it seems to actually make things worse, it disengages the gearbox when not accelerating (like rolling up to lights etc), which seems utterly counterintuitive as then the engine then needs to use fuel to keep running. In all the other modes the wheels would turn the engine meaning no fuel is needed to keep the engine turning. There also seem to be no noticeable difference in the MPG whilst actually driving, tested it using cruise control on t he same stretches of road and the MPG is always about the same as in any other mode, so i don't understand what the point of it is.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I got around 50mpg on a 55 mile round trip from my VW yesterday - 2.0 litre 200ps petrol Polo GTI+. I’ve not really changed my driving habits but there did seem to be noticeably less traffic on the roads in my part of the UK in spite of yesterday’s rail strike, so less traffic meant I could maintain a steady speed with few stops. Many other drivers did seem to be adopting a more economy-focused driving style though - presumably to get the most mpg from their fuel.

Reactions: Seriously?
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members