Crazy Fuel Prices!

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
I know a lot of us are using Premium fuel in our cars. What have you guys being paying in your area?

I had to top up in an Esso at £1.859 for their golden elixer known as Synergy+ in Perth.

I just put £20 in to get me home before topping up with the faithful Tesco Momentum 99 at Bathgate, West Lothian.

My local Tesco cost was £1.669 but 2 days earlier the Tesco in Inverness was £1.659.

I suppose it's cheaper than diesel at the moment! I'm gonna start putting the car in eco mode at this rate.

It would be interesting to hear what folk are paying. The hybrid Cupra I disliked now seems like a good idea

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Reactions: xyz

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
This is the first time in my life I’ve ever moaned about the price of petrol I put £90.00 worth of v power in my car Friday to last me this weekend. Driving is going to turn into a bit of a luxury in years to come o think. It’s going to be like mad max.

Reactions: Peller

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I seem to consider Esso as my "aim to go to" brand of filling station when away from Costco, but Esso do seem to know how to be trend setters in terms of "beat our price if you can" - which is a bit annoying. My local Esso filling station at the edge of Edinburgh, and so "last filling station for miles, or until A74/M74" excluding small village filling stations, used to be extremely well priced - then it changed hands!

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I’d just like to be able to buy some just now!

Thanks to the actions of the fuel protestors at the fuel distribution depots disrupting delivery supplies, and the frenzied actions of the panic buyers, all of the 6 filling stations closest to where I live were out of fuel when I needed some at the end of last week.

I’ve had to change my plans for this week in case I still can’t get any petrol. Hopefully my experience of last week was just a one-off and things will soon be back to normal………🤞

Reactions: ABZCupra

ABZCupra

Jan 30, 2022
It‘s just a nightmare!! Currently only using Premium for one in every 4 fills to save a bit of cash. Minimum impact on performance. About £1.85 per litre around Aberdeen 😬

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
Its not the actual fuel prices but the crazy duty the government put on it that makes it so expensive which is over 53% which is a joke lol , so at £1.80 a liter over £0.95 is government tax.

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
I know a lot of us are using Premium fuel in our cars. What have you guys being paying in your area?

I had to top up in an Esso at £1.859 for their golden elixer known as Synergy+ in Perth.

I just put £20 in to get me home before topping up with the faithful Tesco Momentum 99 at Bathgate, West Lothian.

My local Tesco cost was £1.669 but 2 days earlier the Tesco in Inverness was £1.659.

I suppose it's cheaper than diesel at the moment! I'm gonna start putting the car in eco mode at this rate.

It would be interesting to hear what folk are paying. The hybrid Cupra I disliked now seems like a good idea

I’ve got a (mild) hybrid BMW. Over 400 BHP (standard) and 48 mpg on a run. 60 in under 4 seconds.
46e91b598e73c5007090178f91da1f86.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

moriarty

Apr 6, 2015
Edinburgh
I seem to consider Esso as my "aim to go to" brand of filling station when away from Costco, but Esso do seem to know how to be trend setters in terms of "beat our price if you can" - which is a bit annoying. My local Esso filling station at the edge of Edinburgh, and so "last filling station for miles, or until A74/M74" excluding small village filling stations, used to be extremely well priced - then it changed hands!
I'm guessing Esso at Hillend? I drove past on Saturday on way to Straight, on the totem board it was showing £163.9 for unleaded, both Shell at Maybury and Dreghorn were the same, about 14-15p more for Diesel. On Sunday I filled up at Esso Craigleith, it was £162.9. Days of buying Super have gone for now.
Nowhere shows Super on the big boards and in the past have seen massive difference between 95 and Super. BP always seemed to be the most expensive around Edinburgh.

Reactions: Peller and RUM4MO

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Heading for Wales at the end of the week so will be squeezing as much of Tesco’s finest in before I leave home, refills en route will be off motorway but it might be a long trek down (possibly) at steady sensible cruise, my Honda might hit 25+mpg if I keep within the 70 limit. Saturday club run in Wales May well be a little? less sedate though. Haven’t paid attention to the price since if you want fuel you just have to bite the bullet, standard unleaded at around 163p on the totem I think.

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
I'm guessing Esso at Hillend? I drove past on Saturday on way to Straight, on the totem board it was showing £163.9 for unleaded, both Shell at Maybury and Dreghorn were the same, about 14-15p more for Diesel. On Sunday I filled up at Esso Craigleith, it was £162.9. Days of buying Super have gone for now.
Nowhere shows Super on the big boards and in the past have seen massive difference between 95 and Super. BP always seemed to be the most expensive around Edinburgh.
Esso at Hillend is daylight robbery! The independent owners charge what they want! It makes Dreghorn Shell look cheap

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
I’ve got a (mild) hybrid BMW. Over 400 BHP (standard) and 48 mpg on a run. 60 in under 4 seconds.
46e91b598e73c5007090178f91da1f86.jpg

Nice car! The front end is a love/hate thing! I personally like it!

Reactions: xyz

SteveW

Jul 1, 2020
Salisbury, Wiltshire
I can't remember the price I paid last for the posh diesel for the Leon, although I know it was a lot!

I've been putting the premium diesel in the Leon all the time at the moment because I am mostly doing shorter runs due to still working from home. I'm very grateful that I'm still able to work from home because my fuel bill used to be around £200 a month in my old Mondeo ST TDCI when commuting to work five days a week (50-ish mile round trip), so I dread to think what that would cost in today's prices!!!

I bought the Leon in July 2020 so have been working from home the whole time I've owned it. Had I known this was going to likely be a permanent thing with at most 2 days per week in the office when we finally go back to work, I'd have probably bought a petrol one!

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Nice car! The front end is a love/hate thing! I personally like it!

It’s caused quite a debate and I have to say, I wasn’t sure when I saw pictures of it but it looks much better in the metal - especially in black! I forget all that when I drive it as it drives superbly.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Managed to actually buy some petrol yesterday to see me through the Easter break, after my previous failed attempt to buy some last week (the 6 filling stations in my area were all out of fuel, thanks to the actions of the protestors at the fuel distribution depots and the panic buyers).

Filled up at Tesco; £1.589 per litre unleaded - had to queue up for around 10 minutes. I usually buy their Momentum 99 but with supply issues they didn’t have any. Beggars can’t be choosers, so had to make do with the standard E10 95RON stuff.

Fester999

May 17, 2020
I put normal unleaded in the car but run the motorcycle on the expensive stuff.
Usually esso but none of the stations had any, so tesco momentum it was.
Sunny Stoke-on-Trent I am from.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Filled my 1.0eTSI till the max last week of Feb. At that time it was slowly creeping up at £1.49 at Texaco near SB Westfield. Didn't use car much, done 250 miles since, tank is around half left and shows about 230 miles remain. My local tesco is £1.57 today for 95RON. Got a £5 tesco voucher, will def use it either at a Esso with TescoExpress for 95, or perhaps 99 Momentum at a Tesco stn.

Fishbowlhead

Mk3 CupraST 280
Nov 20, 2020
Of all the hot hatches im dam glad i got a mk3 cupra, 44mpg on average today cruising at 60 from Southend to the Cotswolds, thats on e10 as well. I recon if i’d of got anything else with these crazy petrol prices I’d be looking to chop it for a Kia sportage or something economical.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.