Cruise control question/problem

JonR356

I fitted my cruise control at the weekend, but it doesn't seem to be working quite right - any advice on the issue and how to fix would be appreciated.

I've got the type of cruise stalk with the two buttons on the end (+ and -, or set and resume)

I can get the cruise to engage by getting up to speed and pressing/holding the + button. This also seems to resume when starting from a lower speed. When cruise is engaged, the + button works, adding speed.

But the - button doesn't appear to do anything, and when connected to vag com the ECU doesn't detect when this switch is pressed in the appropriate measuring block.

Does this indicate that the - button isn't wired correctly, and does anyone know which of the sets of wires relates to the - button?

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
Is someone checking VagCom for you while you're driving with the cruise enabled ?

I don't think it'll show anything otherwise (ie. if you're parked on the drive)

Could be a duff switch... or you just need to wait for the car to slow down

JonR356

The VagCom display works fine for all the other parts of the switch.

So I guess my question remains, does the - not work on the version of switch I have with the ECU I have, or can you tell me what wiring carries the - button?

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
I don't think there is any other wiring (not that would carry one signal anyway)

....and there's only one switch.

If everything else works, it sounds like a duff switch :(

greg

Aug 31, 2005
Where in Vag-com can i check to see if the cruise control switch is working???? I couldnt see a block labelled 'cruise control'. :shrug:

ajmally100

Oct 11, 2009
Edinburgh
Greg,

Here is how to check is the cruise control is working (from: carbasics.co.uk/vw_golf_mk4_cruise_control.htm) :D

There are two methods using VAG-COM to verify if your ECU has been successfully activated for cruise control.

Firstly, when you open the engine module the engine description will include a letter G if cruise is active, eg 1.8L 5V 110KW TLG V005.

Secondly, the outputs from block 6 of the engine module will show a 0 in the RH column if cruise is active, but 255 if it is still disabled. If you need to deactivate cruise you can repeat the login procedure above but enter the code 16167.

With cruise control enabled and all wiring completed, it is possible to view the outputs from the cruise switch with VAG-COM by viewing block 66 of the engine module. This may be useful for diagnosis of a wiring fault once installed.

ajmally100

Oct 11, 2009
Edinburgh
JonR356,

My stalk is like this one:
carbasics.co.uk/golf_mk4_cruise_control_1.jpg (I can't post URLS yet! so frustrating but nearly have enough posts....:lol:)

When using it, the switch is set to on, then I hit 'SET' to keep the constant speed. Then hold down 'RES' to pick up speed to set the new cruise speed.

I'm not sure if this is relevant to you as you have the + & - stalk. :blink:

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members