Cruise Control

Apr 10, 2021
So I bought my Ibiza 6L and then noticed it has cruise control buttons on the stalk.
Nothing happens when I switch it on/off so it might be just buttons on the stalk or they may be a problem. How can i tell if the car actually has cruise control installed or not ? Is there a fuse or something easy that would be tell tale sign ?

Apr 10, 2021
Read the manual. After switching on you also need to ser the cruising speed.
The manual covers every model under the sun I think and like I said nothing happens, no reaction, no display, no lights etc Is there any other way to tell if cruise control is actually installed ??

mgrays

Dec 9, 2006
Aberdeen
There is a difference in the wiring loom .. but the only part you need to add is the stalk. Cupras did not come with Cruise control and I DIY'ed mine in by adding 4-5 wires. Best way would be to pull the steering wheel and cowling off to check the wiring up to the stalk for extra wires. It also needs coded in so maybe it had it but lost it because of dealer recoding car.

Reactions: koanseat
Apr 10, 2021
There is a difference in the wiring loom .. but the only part you need to add is the stalk. Cupras did not come with Cruise control and I DIY'ed mine in by adding 4-5 wires. Best way would be to pull the steering wheel and cowling off to check the wiring up to the stalk for extra wires. It also needs coded in so maybe it had it but lost it because of dealer recoding car.
I was hoping there would be an easier way like "check for a fuse xx" or see if the brake light switch has x wires. I think i;ll have to pay the garage a visit and hook it up to the diagnostic program ...

Bustabloodklart

May 2, 2017
I’m pretty sure ours didn’t have it as an option but can be retro fitted by Ross Clarke (on here and Briskoda) but it could be someone has just put an CC stalk on yours. To see if yours is indeed fitted/working make sure the sliding button on tool of stalk slid over to the left (on) drive up to say 40 mph and click the bottom of the rocker switch on end of stalk then take your foot off the gas. If it’s fitted and working your cruise will now be on.
If it’s not working give Ross a call and he’ll get it working for you, he does a cracking job and mine has been perfect for over 80,000 miles, his No is,- 07854 965 069

Reactions: koanseat
Apr 10, 2021
I’m pretty sure ours didn’t have it as an option but can be retro fitted by Ross Clarke (on here and Briskoda) but it could be someone has just put an CC stalk on yours. To see if yours is indeed fitted/working make sure the sliding button on tool of stalk slid over to the left (on) drive up to say 40 mph and click the bottom of the rocker switch on end of stalk then take your foot off the gas. If it’s fitted and working your cruise will now be on.
If it’s not working give Ross a call and he’ll get it working for you, he does a cracking job and mine has been perfect for over 80,000 miles, his No is,- 07854 965 069
Tried it as you say but nothing happens and unfortunately im not in the UK at moment. Thanks.

Apr 10, 2021
FYI I stopped by a SEAT and they checked the specs in their system and it does have CC. I then agreed to one hour's worth of work for SEAT to diagnose the problem while being promised it would not take more than 30mins. It took the full hour and the best part was they said they were not able to identify the problem and would need to re-book an appointment ! SEAT said they repeatedly tried to "reprogram" the CC but the procedure kept failing ... I did not choose to pay for another hours work as it's beginning to sound like a very expensive fix (new parts at a SEAT).
So does anyone know what electronic components to try and source on eBay or the like that could be related to this ?

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
First off Cupras DID have cruise control. It was an optional extra from the facelift in 2006 onwards, mine has it from the factory.
Your issue is likely to be a faulty brake or clutch switch, mine was my clutch switch, changing that solved it.

Apr 10, 2021
First off Cupras DID have cruise control. It was an optional extra from the facelift in 2006 onwards, mine has it from the factory.
Your issue is likely to be a faulty brake or clutch switch, mine was my clutch switch, changing that solved it.
I think the car may be have been chipped by the previous owner and that's way the seat dealer could not reprogram (make sense?). A local vw garage could also not read the ecu properly...
Having said that I took out the clutch switch and tested it with a multimeter. The circuit was always closed regardless if the switch was pressed or not, so i guess it's faulty. But the CC still didn't work even with no switch in place (so the circuit open). I would have thought it would work in either closed or open state.
I'm waiting on a new switch, but I'm not too confident that's the problem.

Apr 10, 2021
so this is strange!. I got a replacement clutch switch, haven't had the chance to fit it yet, but testing it with a simple multimeter, the circuit is always closed.
i.e if the button is pressed or not it shows the two pins are in contact basically. That to me is weird. What am i missing here ?

mgrays

Dec 9, 2006
Aberdeen
My cruise stopped working when the brake light switch went. It did throw a fault code to dash and you could see it in VAGCOM. There are 2 brake switches I believe but only one is cruise control related. My rear brake lights did not work I think so check them. It is unlikely to be a chip issue as the cruise is controlled by the "central convenience controller" and the engine ECU only gets one wire added which maybe just "turns on" the "hold that rpm" function for the ECU.. my notes say;
"Engine fault, flashing heating coil, service symbol and no Cruise control
1 Fault Found = 16955 - Brake Switch (F)
P0571 - 35-00 - Implausible Signal
Measure block 006 .. second box labelled Brake Switch 000= pedal up 011 = pedal down
… the broken one only did 001
Removed a 380-945-511 switch which is brown and replaced with 6Q0-954-511 which is black
You have to rotate switch about 30 degrees until it clicks before it will become active."

The dealer can check for brake and clutch switches.. and cruise button. Maybe something silly like the brake switch as it was fiddly to turn the 30 degrees to get it to click and become active.

Mine is a 2005 Cupra .. so no factory CC so I DIY'ed it.

Apr 10, 2021
A local garage and a Seat dealer said there were no faults registered. The dealer tried to "re-program" the CC (i dont know what that means) but the process kept failing and "the program would not complete". That's what got me thinking perhaps i bought a chipped car that is now not standard.

mgrays

Dec 9, 2006
Aberdeen
A local garage and a Seat dealer said there were no faults registered. The dealer tried to "re-program" the CC (i dont know what that means) but the process kept failing and "the program would not complete". That's what got me thinking perhaps i bought a chipped car that is now not standard.
Sounds more like the convenience controller is playing up.. potentially someone put one in that cannot do CC as I dimly remember that was possible. In Vagcom you just "turn on" the CC by recoding one item .. it does take 20-30 seconds so it must be doing more than that. Otherwise it is wiring or stalk is wrong .. not an easy one to track unless you are skilled in electrics and have Vagcom etc to check stuff.

Apr 10, 2021
Changing the clutch switch did not fix the problem.
Also checked the k-line which seems ok with 4.0v.
Now waiting on a ELM327 just to give it a try.

@mgrays assuming it is the convenience controller, how do i approach fixing ? ebay and plug 'n play ? any advise ?

MW05

Oct 18, 2015

Just read answer #3 about the guy having to plug in the stalk for the cruise control. If your car didn't have it as standard this may be the reason yours doesn't work? Maybe not plugged in properly?

Apr 10, 2021
so this is strange!. I got a replacement clutch switch, haven't had the chance to fit it yet, but testing it with a simple multimeter, the circuit is always closed.
i.e if the button is pressed or not it shows the two pins are in contact basically. That to me is weird. What am i missing here ?
so swapped the clutch switch, but that didn solve the problem. Since the break lights work ok, i'm thinking it's not these two switches

Apr 10, 2021
My cruise stopped working when the brake light switch went. It did throw a fault code to dash and you could see it in VAGCOM. There are 2 brake switches I believe but only one is cruise control related. My rear brake lights did not work I think so check them. It is unlikely to be a chip issue as the cruise is controlled by the "central convenience controller" and the engine ECU only gets one wire added which maybe just "turns on" the "hold that rpm" function for the ECU.. my notes say;
"Engine fault, flashing heating coil, service symbol and no Cruise control
1 Fault Found = 16955 - Brake Switch (F)
P0571 - 35-00 - Implausible Signal
Measure block 006 .. second box labelled Brake Switch 000= pedal up 011 = pedal down
… the broken one only did 001
Removed a 380-945-511 switch which is brown and replaced with 6Q0-954-511 which is black
You have to rotate switch about 30 degrees until it clicks before it will become active."

The dealer can check for brake and clutch switches.. and cruise button. Maybe something silly like the brake switch as it was fiddly to turn the 30 degrees to get it to click and become active.

Mine is a 2005 Cupra .. so no factory CC so I DIY'ed it.
There's no fault showing on the dash and nothing on a cheap ODB scanned i bought and it's also been to the dealer once (for one hour's worth of checking).

Would the brake lights still work if the brake switch had failed ?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise