Cupra 290, anyone?

jmh0804

Jan 12, 2011
Southampton
I couldn't comment as that's not a deal I'm taking. And I couldn't comment on discounts either as I'm under a different arrangement.

But yes. I've cancelled the order and my local dealer will place the order as soon as it physically becomes available to do so.

golf gti dude

Lottery win needed.
Sep 2, 2012
Chester/Shanghai
Email I got from seat

Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding the Leon Cupra 290. I apologise for the delay in my response.

I am delighted to learn of your interest in SEAT and particularly the Leon Cupra. At the moment, the development of the Cupra
290 is still very much at the concept stage. We currently have no official launch date or specifics of the vehicle which may
eventually enter the production process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stagsfell

Feb 16, 2015
According to this week's Autocar, VW are doing a Golf GTI "Clubsport" from early next year. This will have 261bhp/265ps with temporary overbost giving 287bhp/290ps. The suggested price of £27,500 is the same as the current car, but if correct, where does this leave the Cupra?

Last edited:

JK1

May 15, 2002
Bedford
Visit site
Email I got from seat

Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding the Leon Cupra 290. I apologise for the delay in my response.

I am delighted to learn of your interest in SEAT and particularly the Leon Cupra. At the moment, the development of the Cupra
290 is still very much at the concept stage. We currently have no official launch date or specifics of the vehicle which may
eventually enter the production process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amazing, they announce it, send out the press releases.

People want to buy it, now suddenly it's 'concept' and may or may not 'eventually enter the production process'

Do Seat UK get all their information from Seat HQ in Spanish and they only have one translator?

:rolleyes:

Deepdiver72

Jul 29, 2015
Another advertising ploy to get people talking. We're only talking 10 bhp?

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

myriad

Sep 16, 2015
We're not talking any hp. It's just a change of exhaust and full link

Reading the press release it also seems to include sat nav high (that's makes sense since you need it to spec full link at the moment). They claim the torque range is wider too, either the existing car already had that range or there is an improvement there, they can't really lie. There may be an increase in hp but I would guess it is purely a result of the new exhaust.

The way the release is worded for me doesn't leave much ambiguity as to the likely release of the model so for someone to claim it is "a concept" and "may eventually reach production" is stupid. Perhaps one of the contacts at the bottom of the press release would be a better source, but I guess an official statement on first customer ship date will not be coming until they run out of 280 badges.

C_ED_99

Jan 27, 2010
Reading the press release it also seems to include sat nav high (that's makes sense since you need it to spec full link at the moment). They claim the torque range is wider too, either the existing car already had that range or there is an improvement there, they can't really lie. There may be an increase in hp but I would guess it is purely a result of the new exhaust.

The way the release is worded for me doesn't leave much ambiguity as to the likely release of the model so for someone to claim it is "a concept" and "may eventually reach production" is stupid. Perhaps one of the contacts at the bottom of the press release would be a better source, but I guess an official statement on first customer ship date will not be coming until they run out of 280 badges.

Changing the exhaust may affect turbo spool and therefore torque spread -

Free-er flowing = faster spool = wider torque spread?

It seems pretty much agreed the 10bhp is just on paper as they all make >280 anyway... unless the 290s are all going to make >310bhp...

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Changing the exhaust may affect turbo spool and therefore torque spread -

Free-er flowing = faster spool = wider torque spread?

It seems pretty much agreed the 10bhp is just on paper as they all make >280 anyway... unless the 290s are all going to make >310bhp...

Can we nip this in the bud right here and now - the 280 has the same ECU software as the R and S3 and all 280s that have been on a rolling road have made more than 300bhp (mine is at 307PS). The 290 will have the SAME software. The 290 will be no faster than the 280, I can guarantee it. It's all marketing. They have 20 or so bhp to play with. It could be called the 295, it would still be fine.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.