Cupra 290 - Odd Chirping Sound on Cold Start

OptimusDecline

Feb 24, 2016
Scotland
As the title says really. I've had the car from new. It's done just over 2k miles now but I think it's always made this slightly odd noise on cold startup.

I never noticed it when I drove away from the dealers but when I start it up in my garage, it's a little more audible. To me it sounds like something is lightly scraping against one of the belts intermittently for the first 10 seconds or so. I haven't lifted the bonnet yet to see if I can find the source of the noise yet but I wanted to check if anyone on here knew if this was normal or a known fault?

Cupra Belfast

Jun 11, 2016
Mine too

Mine makes it. I'd hypothesised it was the crank shaft bearing not up to optimal heat to allow for expansion & lubrication, and since they're very low friction for stop start, not worried about it much. Perhaps 15-20 seconds, then quietens and then when up to temperature it's very smooth, unless you poke it of course. Then a touch shouty lol I always make sure to be nice and gentle until the oil is up to temperature.

Last edited:

Trettiosjuan

Jan 21, 2016
On german fora I've read about some noise originating from the wastegate on the turbo, wonder if it's that. Should open the hood and have a listen while someone else fires it up...