Cupra 290 - Slight misfire on idle?

OptimusDecline

Feb 24, 2016
Scotland
As the title says. My car has done around 4.5k miles. I've started to notice that when sitting idle, there's a slight cough from the exhaust which can be felt through the car. It's very slight and there's no hint of it once moving with no interruption in the power delivery. I had an R26 Megane a few years ago and it developed a misfire at idle as well which was down to one of the injectors starting to fail at low flow rates. Not sure if these direct injectors in the Leon are still susceptible to the same issues though.

Anyone notice something similar in their car?

MEZ44

Aug 7, 2016
Check your spark plugs, it could be corroded. SEAT warranty would replace that for you.
Also these engines are design to be run on premium fuel, they also have additives to avoid things corroding...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OptimusDecline

Feb 24, 2016
Scotland
Check your spark plugs, it could be corroded. SEAT warranty would replace that for you.
Also these engines are design to be run on premium fuel, they also have additives to avoid things corroding...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. The car has been run on an exclusive diet of V-power from new except for whatever 95 RON tank was in it when i first collected it. Only affected at idle so i reckon id notice it through the rev band if there was a plug. Will note it to dealer when it goes in for first service

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
Thanks. The car has been run on an exclusive diet of V-power from new except for whatever 95 RON tank was in it when i first collected it. Only affected at idle so i reckon id notice it through the rev band if there was a plug. Will note it to dealer when it goes in for first service

I would be inclined to take it into the dealers asap to have it investigated mate. If there is a fault you should have it sorted sooner rather than later.

rozer1974

Feb 6, 2017
wirral
I have the 280 dsg am on 26k mine has always had a lumpy idle I have changed plugs and the latest revision coil packs and guess what its still there car drives perfect .I think this engine does this for some reason on the golf forums the mk7 gti and r has the same problem with no cure. I did find changing the spark plug to the latest njk rs7 plugs has helped loads very smooth. I don't think its an injector I think its just the characteristic's of this engine.

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
As the title says. My car has done around 4.5k miles. I've started to notice that when sitting idle, there's a slight cough from the exhaust which can be felt through the car. It's very slight and there's no hint of it once moving with no interruption in the power delivery. I had an R26 Megane a few years ago and it developed a misfire at idle as well which was down to one of the injectors starting to fail at low flow rates. Not sure if these direct injectors in the Leon are still susceptible to the same issues though.

Anyone notice something similar in their car?
I have previously posted about a similar problem.

I've had the very same issue with my Cupra 280. Booked the car into the dealer to check out and they couldn't find any issues.

It can be quite jumpy at times but it's perfectly fine once on the move.

I've heard that this maybe a character of the car but I disagree as I've been in a few Cupras and even had an overnight loan of a friends 14 plate 265 with 50k on it and was totally smooth.

I don't expect this from my car with only 15k let alone the lower milage with your car.

To be fair the dealer has offered to take it for a few days for testing but I've been for a couple of test drives in different models (BMW 140 & Golf GTi) I may jump ship if the numbers are good.

My previous 2 Mk3 Leons have been amazing. I just feel that this Cupra has let me down. It's a great car but will now go for a higher quality manufacturer from now on.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Raven

Mar 10, 2014
Very common on the new ea888.3 engine. Id say most have the lumpy idle..

If you connect vcds or similar you wont have any misfires.

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Last edited:

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
its normal, I checked mine the other day for misfire counts and it had 0 across all cylinders.

OptimusDecline

Feb 24, 2016
Scotland
It goes in for it's first service in a few days and I mentioned it to them to check. It's pretty subtle and not as obvious as the R26. Had an M135i before the Leon and was creamy smooth all the time so maybe I'm just being over sensitive to any little blips on the idle. Tacho needle doesn't jump around on idle.

If it's normal, has anyone nailed down why they idle like this?

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey
It goes in for it's first service in a few days and I mentioned it to them to check. It's pretty subtle and not as obvious as the R26. Had an M135i before the Leon and was creamy smooth all the time so maybe I'm just being over sensitive to any little blips on the idle. Tacho needle doesn't jump around on idle.

If it's normal, has anyone nailed down why they idle like this?

The 225/R26 misfire is more noticeable on idle as you can hear the cough from the exhaust (I'm a 225 owner also) and noticed what I thought was a misfire the first day I had my 290. Hearing other EA888 engines, it just sounds like it's 'normal' which is odd. These engines have also confused a few workmates who thought it was a diesel...

Last edited:

Ken H

Dec 20, 2015
Cork , Ireland
Noticed this with my 290 also. It's a very rare occasion I'd plant the foot from low rpm and experience a slight lag in the car. I did also notice twice maybe three times feeling the car misfire at idle . I do recall looking at the rev counter and it looked all ok . It wasn't jumpy one bit. What I can tell you is since I have bought the car (1.5 years ago) I have always bought petrol from the same garage and from different garages I'd say a mere handful of times. Last week was one of these times and yes I've noticed it again. It idled funny. Very slight though. I'd recommend same fuel for awhile and fill before low petrol warning light comes on . That's what I have narrowed it down to!!!

Clazzer

Mar 17, 2014
Stoke on Trent
I've noticed the same twice on my 5k mile 290, first reaction was to check the rev counter which was stable. I then wondered if it my be a slight vibration from the DMF as I had one replaced under warranty on a golf I owned previously. It reminded me of that.

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
I've even started to notice a judder when idling in my 1.4 eco tsi fr so guessing it could be a seat thing?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise