Cupra 300 4Drive feedback from owners so far

perkman1969

Feb 25, 2015
NE England
Greetings All

My 280 has been at my local dealers for a week while they try to get the car to accept a new infotainment system after my old one started freezing in the nav screen, usually when I was somewhere I didn't know [:@]. But that's another story...

Went to collect a courtesy car yesterday and they have a Mystery Blue 300 ST DSG with panoramic roof, adaptive cruise, Seat Sound and some other bits I can't remember, that is a cancelled customer order (unregistered). The deal they are offering is very tempting and I'm going to do the final "negotiations" on Tuesday, having put a deposit down on it. Hadn't planned on replacing my 280 at 3 years but hey, you only live once, right?

Was wondering therefore what owners of that model think of their purchase, and particularly the 4WD system. I'm driving this car on Tuesday and it'll be my first time in an ST, a 300 and a 4WD model. My hesitation is that my wife had a quattro A5 sportback and I really didn't like the feel of the 4WD on that, plus it added noticeable weight and therefore reduction in performance compared to my A4 with the same motor.

So decisions, decisions it is and any feedback would be most welcome.

Cheers

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Its good for a daily driver but not as fun as FWD, unless you do 0-60 launches all the way to work lol.

madvello

Jul 6, 2017
Estonia
Greetings All

My 280 has been at my local dealers for a week while they try to get the car to accept a new infotainment system after my old one started freezing in the nav screen, usually when I was somewhere I didn't know [:@]. But that's another story...

Went to collect a courtesy car yesterday and they have a Mystery Blue 300 ST DSG with panoramic roof, adaptive cruise, Seat Sound and some other bits I can't remember, that is a cancelled customer order (unregistered). The deal they are offering is very tempting and I'm going to do the final "negotiations" on Tuesday, having put a deposit down on it. Hadn't planned on replacing my 280 at 3 years but hey, you only live once, right?

Was wondering therefore what owners of that model think of their purchase, and particularly the 4WD system. I'm driving this car on Tuesday and it'll be my first time in an ST, a 300 and a 4WD model. My hesitation is that my wife had a quattro A5 sportback and I really didn't like the feel of the 4WD on that, plus it added noticeable weight and therefore reduction in performance compared to my A4 with the same motor.

So decisions, decisions it is and any feedback would be most welcome.

Cheers

What I can say, FWD is fun if you have good weather all the time. But last 1600km with brand new ST 4drive cupra I think I will never miss any FWD. In Estonia we have 9 months with lots of rain, 3 months we have rain, snow, ice.
I cannot say it feels heavy, more like you have grip and control all the time and no wheel spin. You can have wheel spin, but only when you want not like with FWD where you will have wheel spin every time you want to "use" the car.
As we have snow (not very much in last 3 years) then fun in the snow with AWD is totally different from FWD where only fun is using the handbrake which in Cupra is electronical.

dronius

May 17, 2017
Estonia
Surprising amount of Estonians here. I'd second that, even if not so much fun due to no-wheelspin, AWD is a must-have for rainy/snowy countries. Otherwise all those 300hp have no use every other day.

Unrelated: I wonder why SEAT has such a price policy in EE -- ST 4drive is such a sweet deal, a ~10KEUR less that a similarly equipped Golf R. If only they had a 4drive hatch version :(

alper

Feb 28, 2016
I've been tempted by the ST 4Drive myself as in Sweden (and basically every other country outside the UK), the difference between the Cupra ST and an R estate is between 5K-8K, it's crazy. Plus the Leon is a much better looking estate than the R. In the UK though with only 1000 gbp between them I struggle to see how the ST can be a decent proposition. It's not badge snobbery or anything but purely down to depreciation and residuals.

The thing is, almost every review I've read so far has pointed out that a) it has lost the FWD model's sharpness and b) the Golf R estate drives better. So ok I expected that loss of agility anyway and was my complaint with the Golf R as well but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make in exchange for the extra space that I am after. But the Golf driving significantly better or at least to a noticeable degree to be mentioned in every single review? sounds a bit weird. The underpinnings of both cars are probably identical and the Seat even weighs 30 kg less. Plus SEAT has the FWD variants set-up nicely already so it doesn't make sense. Now given that an R estate does not exactly turn like a Porsche either I wonder how much objectivity there is in these claims. The only other thing I can think of is the Haldex being programmed less "sporty" than in the R but do we really know anything about it?

So please 4Drive owners share your experiences!

Last edited:

madvello

Jul 6, 2017
Estonia
What can I say more? No FWD and no Manual gearbox anymore.

I have had from 2001 FWD cars. All of them 110kw+ ,manuals + last one with DSG. Petrols + diesel engines.
2015 I got Octavia 135KW TDI 4x4. TDI wasn't for me, so I got the Cupra ST. I have also Octavia 2 147kw with DSG. Fun to drive, but no grip when you need it. I cannot say it feels different from Cupra. With Cupra ST 4drive you have that feeling "you have the GRIP" all the time and this is what matters in everyday driving.
During one month I have not seen any ST Cupra 4drive, but few Golf R's, a lot of Octavia VRs models etc.
Yes FWD Cupra can be faster from 100-160, but from 0-160 with snow and rain, FWD will never win. In Estonia, we have speed limits, but from 70/80 upto 110/120/130 I need full grip when driving on the motorway with rain and snow/ice (overtaking).

So far the average fuel is about 9.5l/100km, on a motorway, it will be about 8l (120km/h). Done so far less than 3000km.

Alper - if you live in Sweden I think you know what means snow :). 300hp and FWD no go. FWD yes for a racetrack.
In youtube, there are some good videos from Finland lake driving with ST Cupra.

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
I have had mine since May. Now done 7k miles so have a pretty good feeling for the car now!

Just returned from 2 weeks in the Italian and French Alps for the two purpose of downhill mtn biking and alpine road driving! I did 3000 miles in just this trip and although the car is on the weighty side, she makes up for it with grip by the bucket load. I had numerous hill climb "races" with other drivers doing the various switchbacks up and down the mountain passes and surprised a few 911 drivers who couldn't get their power down or use it all as that would be dangerous. I could essentially use all the power all the time. Also kept up with a trio of Ferraris driving the St Bernard Pass, again they were miles faster than me in the straights but i also caught them in the acceleration zones and hairpins - they couldn't put the power down. The odd GTI didnt have a chance uphill but was a definite match on the downhills.

I did encounter some significant brake fade, but with warm brakes she has some impressive stopping power.

Of course, all this was done with a car full of mtn bikes and camping gear!

The down side is the lack of exhaust - i have removed the centre silencer which gives me a little more sound, but i don't get any pops or cracks. On the plus side, i could listen to the Ferraris!

alper

Feb 28, 2016
Thanks, both write-ups appreciated. I've had my fair share of powerful FWD's and while it can be frustrating at times to access the power at low speeds, it's not as bad as some times implied. Sure you need to initially treat the pedal with finesse but above 40mph there is usually no problem. Drag-racing was never my thing and probably never will. By the way, I'm totally in the south end with minimum snow so I don't really need the awd as such but I reckon it would be interesting to get a car with it after all my FWD experiences, it's something I haven't had the chance to evaluate myself yet.

Also, with less and less time available for proper b-road driving where you can properly enjoy a FWD Cupra, the most accessible sort of enjoyment for me has become the occasional short flooring at average speeds when and where road conditions allow it. And that's usually while at 2-digit speeds below 50 mph otherwise it could prove too costly. So in that sense there might actually be a place for the 4Drive in my garage.

The only actual problem I see (and that's not a joke) is that with the FWD Cupra, I would easily settle with a quick an' easy stage 1 (or 2 at most) since there is no point for more than 400bhp through the fronts (stage 1 torque is already enough to break traction in 3rd if you really go for it) but with the 4Motion, well, sky is the limit and I am afraid I won't be able to look past a BT sooner or later. Especially in a sleeper like the ST, it makes it just so much tempting.

Last edited:

perkman1969

Feb 25, 2015
NE England
I hope to add to this thread as mine is being delivered to the dealer this week. Can not wait!!!

You're going to love it mate!

I eventually took the plunge, not with the Mystery Blue one I mentioned at the start of this thread, but with a 3 month old one that had £7k off the new price.

Without exception, everyone who has been in it has mentioned how much more refined it is than my 280, and it's nicer to drive according to my wife (had to let her have a go but threatened divorce if she curbs my alloys on this one like she did on my 280 :D)

I only have one gripe and that's with the Start/Stop system - it is far too eager to cut in, doing so before I've even come to a halt! It's disconcerting and at times downright dangerous but I'm wondering if it's a programming thing and may be adjustable with OBD11. I've used the latter to do all the usual mods with success apart from changing comfort blinking to 5 flashes instead of 3, which I also couldn't get to work on my 280...:shrug:

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
I've used the latter to do all the usual mods with success apart from changing comfort blinking to 5 flashes instead of 3, which I also couldn't get to work on my 280...:shrug:

If you did this on OBD11 you have to restart the media system in order for it to take affect. i think its to hold the power button down so it reboots.

perkman1969

Feb 25, 2015
NE England
If you did this on OBD11 you have to restart the media system in order for it to take affect. i think its to hold the power button down so it reboots.

Thanks mate. I tried that but still no joy. It's not a game changer as I got the more important things to work like alarm chirps, one click mirror fold and actuator down to 20% but I'm like a dog with a bone when something doesn't work like it is supposed to, so will keep trying.

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
True - annoying though. I activated the alarm chirps and the mirror fold stuff.

I paid for the removal (obd11 app) of the driving restriction with media (DVDs). It is ace to sit in traffic jams and watch Family Guy dvd! Also enabled the display of the fan state LED when in Auto. its nice!

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Just seen my first on the M23. Looked fantastic in white, especially as it approached from behind. Surprised how different it looked to pre Facelift.

alper

Feb 28, 2016
I only have one gripe and that's with the Start/Stop system - it is far too eager to cut in, doing so before I've even come to a halt! It's disconcerting and at times downright dangerous but I'm wondering if it's a programming thing and may be adjustable with OBD11.

At least on the Golf, disabling this stupid feature is very straightforward: 19-CAN Gateway > Adaptation > Start/Stop voltage limit: enter "12". Have you tried that?