Cupra 300 - Clutch riding

A_5mith

Jun 14, 2017
West Yorkshire
Hi guys, apologies for the wall of text, thought this would be better than "clutch weird, plz help"...

Had my 17 plate Leon Cupra 300 for ~18 months, 15k miles, running into an odd issue over the last week. Was crawling home in the usual slow moving traffic (2nd gear, 1,500rpm - 2k), car in front turned off so i accelerated to catch up to the car in front, throttle was no more than half way (certainly not far enough to hit the button under the pedal, which has caught me out once or twice), but the DSG decided to change into 1st gear, as soon as it dropped to 1st i got what can only be described as learner drivers clutch control, nothing but revs. Removed my foot from the accelerator before it revved too high, once the revs came back down, the car jolts into 2nd and accelerated normally (albeit gingerly as i thought I'd bust it).

Through an inquisitive mind, i let a gap form, and it did exactly the same thing again. Car dropped to 1st and didn't actually go anywhere. These two were both in drive (comfort mode).

Once I'm above 2nd into 3rd/4th, the car pulls like it should through all the gears in any mode, with no riding or slipping of the clutch to speak of.

Fast toward to my drive home today, sat at the lights (front of the queue), thought id see what happens with it in Cupra & Manual (no LC, TC on), car pulled away normally, but then feels like the clutch re-engages at about 2.5-3kRPM where it usually either takes off or throws a load of traction control back at me. It still has a little forward momentum like it's still accelerating, but the revs climb faster like I may as well be in Neutral. Foot off the accelerator, revs calm down, slight jolt into to second, accelerates normally.

I've seen some videos where the revs go up in stages on older DSGs with clutch slip, and I've not noticed if it's still in D1 when it does it or just D. Don't want to do too much "experimenting" with it and make it worse. Going to ring SEAT in Wakefield tomorrow as had a woeful experience with the SEAT / JCT600 guys in Menston, see if I can get it booked in for piece of mind, half way through my lease.

Anyone care to throw some possible hypothesis in my direction?

Cheers

Edit: Was supposed to be a question mark at the end of the title...

Paul1979

Mar 30, 2018
Sorry slightly off topic...what is the button under the pedal and what does it do?

K12

Jan 25, 2016
Sorry slightly off topic...what is the button under the pedal and what does it do?

It's a kickdown button, calls for max power.

Kickdown is a downshift in an automatic transmission triggered when the driver pushes the car's accelerator to the floor.

Automatic transmissions kick down to a lower gear to make use of the greater power delivered at the engine’s higher rpm

A_5mith

Jun 14, 2017
West Yorkshire
Have the car booked in tomorrow morning, if I leave it in manual and put just enough accelerator in, as it goes past 3k RPM I can now physically feel a judder instead of it just revving northwards.

Hoping it's covered under warranty as it's £85 an hour + VAT for them to diagnose it if not...

davidstarkey11

Jun 7, 2015
Newcastle upon Tyne
Have the car booked in tomorrow morning, if I leave it in manual and put just enough accelerator in, as it goes past 3k RPM I can now physically feel a judder instead of it just revving northwards.

Hoping it's covered under warranty as it's £85 an hour + VAT for them to diagnose it if not...

Hmmmm weird one. Good luck for tomorrow!

Nora2004

Oct 15, 2017
Hopefully it'll just need an adaptation reset, this should "reset" the clamping pressure of the clutch, although if there is a mechanical problem this might just mask the issue!

Interested to hear the outcome!

A_5mith

Jun 14, 2017
West Yorkshire
Update time: We couldn't replicate it...

I know, anticlimactic. Nothing on the diagnostics, two test drives, one by the mechanic, another with me driving. Didn't do it once in drive or manual. Offered to keep it for the day and try again once it had been sat for a few hours and cooled down after the 30 minute trip to Wakefield, but need it tomorrow. If it does it again then I'll take it back next week and let them keep it until they replicate.

Knowing my luck it only does it when it's cold, or enjoys commutting less than I do...

Will update if anything new happens.