Cupra 300 DSG Advise please

jack rush

Jan 16, 2019
Well
I had a test drive today. Cupra 290 DSG. Link in the post

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202002287832129

l
ovely car. Super quick, could not believe how long it holds onto 2nd gear in Cupra mode. The grip it has for a FWD was superb

car did sound good but am not sure if this is pre or post the exhaust filter thing lol.

the car does have a lot of plastic inside & the difference in quality to my A3 saloon is clear to see. I just need to decide now if the cupra and the power is what I want.

That's a 2016 so doesn't have the GPF, not sure about other silencers though. I think that would be louder than a new 290.

Quality wise, I think the 300 in your original post would be nicer to be in for sure, but not on the same level as an A3.

My 290 lux has alcantara seats / door panels, but there's still a lot of plastic. Seems silly to have hard plastic on the top of the door and then alcantara leather directly underneath it... But I can let that slide because of the price.

For me the lower quality interior is made up for by how fun it is to drive. I've got a JB1 tuning box on it and it absolutely flies!

Reactions: Notleks

Notleks

Mar 28, 2016
Yeah, the only issue I could see with the car was the plastics used. The dash on the A3 is very nice and the screen can be hidden into the dash.

The power and sound was ultimately what a would be paying for.

Couldn’t believe the wheels can be spinning at 40 plus mph.

jack rush

Jan 16, 2019
Yeah, the only issue I could see with the car was the plastics used. The dash on the A3 is very nice and the screen can be hidden into the dash.

The power and sound was ultimately what a would be paying for.

Couldn’t believe the wheels can be spinning at 40 plus mph.

I think if you sat inside the 300 you'd like it more. From the old 290 to the 300 / new 290 there was a jump in quality. Still not amazing, but definitely better.

I prefer the interior of mine to a golf gti / gtd for example, whereas I'd choose a gti over an older cupra for interior quality.

Wild card, but have you thought about a golf gti? You could get a 2016 for around the same price as the Cupra you test drove, and the underpinnings are essentially the same. More power in the Cupra, but the gti is still fun to drive, and would be nicer to be in. And you could always get a tuning box / state 1 remap for that extra power boost.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Well

l
ovely car. Super quick, could not believe how long it holds onto 2nd gear in Cupra mode. The grip it has for a FWD was superb

car did sound good but am not sure if this is pre or post the exhaust filter thing lol.

the car does have a lot of plastic inside & the difference in quality to my A3 saloon is clear to see. I just need to decide now if the cupra and the power is what I want.

This is a pfl. The facelift was the 300. The new fl 290 is the 2019 WLTP version of the 300 with the GPF.

The interior in the 300 and fl 290 have improved from what you test drove.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Notleks

Mar 28, 2016
I like the GTI but only the 7.5 performance and trying to find one with Tartan, DSG, 5 door and Silver is like trying it to win the lotto.

the cupra is growing on me. Never been a badge snob - just feel the Audi quality is something I may miss, even though mine is a 65 plate

Notleks

Mar 28, 2016
DECISION TIME

Having taken the test drive and then given myself time to think of the past 12 hours and sleep on it. I have decided against going for a Cupra of any varient.

The reasons of which are:
  • The interior quality of the Leon i would not be happy with after a few days. I know this myself.
  • My current car is a 65 plate and only has 23k miles so plenty left in the tank. Depreciation has almost flattened now, so i am close to money free motoring.
  • Going from 4WD Quattro back to FWD, given I live in Scotland will no doubt become a factor in the winter.

I had seriously consider the Cupra, given I was happy with my Leon FR Supercopa back in 2015. But my main gripe would have to be interior build quality. So, for me it will be either an S4 or S5 next.

Finally, I would like to say thank you to all for there help and input. I did appreciate all of your time.

Safe motoring to all, and please stay safe.

Thanks again

jack rush

Jan 16, 2019
DECISION TIME

Having taken the test drive and then given myself time to think of the past 12 hours and sleep on it. I have decided against going for a Cupra of any varient.

The reasons of which are:
  • The interior quality of the Leon i would not be happy with after a few days. I know this myself.
  • My current car is a 65 plate and only has 23k miles so plenty left in the tank. Depreciation has almost flattened now, so i am close to money free motoring.
  • Going from 4WD Quattro back to FWD, given I live in Scotland will no doubt become a factor in the winter.

I had seriously consider the Cupra, given I was happy with my Leon FR Supercopa back in 2015. But my main gripe would have to be interior build quality. So, for me it will be either an S4 or S5 next.

Finally, I would like to say thank you to all for there help and input. I did appreciate all of your time.

Safe motoring to all, and please stay safe.

Thanks again

Given your concerns regarding the quality of the interior I think you made the right decision.

While the new Cupras are nicer inside, they still cut corners to keep costs down (no felt lined door pockets as an example... My bottom spec Mk7 golf had this.)

An S4/S5 would be a huge step up in quality, so you'd have the power and the nicer interior.

Good luck in finding what's right for you!

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Well

l

Its not a GPF/PPF car, they were late 2018 (Model Year 2019 cars) onwards.

Sorry a bit slow I see someone else has replied.

On the interior front, have you been in the facelift car? I know Audi's have great interiors, and although the changes to the face lift are subtle. Combined it does make a big difference (well it did for me going from a 280 to a 300).

As for 4WD, there is always the ST with the bigger boot anyway ;)

Last edited:

Mikertroid

May 31, 2019
I have an 11 yr old BMW E91 325i (Manual) and a 2019 (MY 2020) ST 300 4Drive

The BMW’s interior, while a little dated, is a step up in quality from the Cupra.

That said, my Cupra has reasonable perceived quality...I can compare it favourably with a Mk6 Golf I owned previously. In general, although the car feels built to a lower price point than my beemer, the ride quality is leagues ahead and it’s a great machine for eating up the miles.

It’s also much more punchy and economical than the 3.0 IL-6 in the BMW. It doesn’t sound as nice though, but that’s not what I bought it for.

Audi position themselves above Seat in the VAG hierarchy and are renowned for their interiors, an S3/4/5 is going to feel a nicer place inside.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.