Cupra 300 ST end of term report

Dyno2012

Nov 4, 2017
Sadly, my two year lease is up and car went back today, so I thought I’d jot down a few reflections in case of use to others.

In short, this has been all I wanted. I had read lots but not driven one but the lease deal was so good I couldn’t justify going for anything else comparable anyway.

To my eyes the ST, in grey, is a fine looking car and nicely subtle.

It’s quick – at times on the right road in 3rd and 4th the overtaking performance feels proper quick.

Mine is a two wheel drive manual and on good tyres (the original Contis went at 7500k, replaced by Michelin SP4S) I didn’t find traction too much of a problem and not at all in the dry. When tyres worn and roads damp/wet then can be interesting,

Economy was fine – around 30mpg, low 20s when thrashed and just over 40mpg on a gentle trip to Belgium with mates and beer onboard.

Car was solid and faultless apart from a groan at low speeds over bumps that I gave up getting the useless dealer to sort as you couldn’t hear it at normal driving speeds.

The only minor gripes are that the digital dash doesn’t change to reflect driving mode – a unique Cupra mode would be good (I think later ones do?) – and the exhaust is too quiet; Some pops and bangs for a sporty car would be fun.

You cannot beat the overall package for the money, especially the amount of kit including stuff like adjustable dampers that you don’t typically get as standard elsewhere.

I know from reviews that there are better hot hatches out there but not for the money.

I’ve enjoyed driving it very much and it’s an excellent blend of performance, practicality and value.

If the rather attractive price to buy had arrived just a few days earlier I may have kept it but I had already agreed to buy a TT that my wife has wanted for a long time. I scratched my itch with the Cupra so it was her time.

I shall miss it and I would certainly recommend one based on my experience.

My choice next time so I may be back!

Thank you to everyone on these forums, I haven't posted much but have found it a really useful resource.

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
Mimincks my experience too.

I have the speed bump groan too and think this is actually caused by the rubber seals around the doors when the body flexs over the bumps. Might be bullsh*t but thats my feeling.

I was offered £13k to keep mine!

Brackett

May 12, 2019
From my 10 month (so far), 8k miles, experience, all sounds right to me.

apart from a groan at low speeds over bumps that I gave up getting the useless dealer to sort as you couldn’t hear it at normal driving speeds.
Did the dealer actually do anything to try? Or just say they couldn't hear it and give you the car back? Weighing up how to progress this with the dealer with my car as well.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.