Cupra and 374 miles on one tank

Xe

I could get 600 miles per tank before the remap. Actually displayed 600 miles left on the dash :) Now its ~520, but I enjoy surging past everyone :p

*EDIT* I have just been thinking to myself I have only seen 1 FR/Cupra in the past few months that driving with a bit of speed. Is it because you are all trying to get high MPG?

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually get around 220 to 280 miles to 50 litres depending on where I've been but I excelled myself in my last Cupra and managed to get 154 miles from fully brimmed to creeping onto a petrol station forecourt where it swallowed 56 litres into the 55 litre tank. Incidently I was talking to the bloke who owns it now and he says out of the same car he's averaging 27MPG. Methinks my right foot may be slightly heavy!

Daffy

Detail Wizard
May 29, 2007
temperature is irrelevant!
its air density that counts. it just so happens that warm air is less dense than cold.
i really doubt youd notice the difference.

Certainly noticed the difference in the R32, thirsty 3.2 V6 in a fairly heavy car was not nearly as lively as cold fresh spring morning. This was commented on by many petrol heads on Tyresmoke on more than one occasion. Don't ever recall anyone saying the hotter it got the better the car performed.
Still don't fully understand what you are trying to say. My understanding is cold air is denser and therefore more 0xygen for any given amount. More oxygen = more efficient combustion. That is the reason why people put better less restrictive air filters on to get more air into the engine.
The heating up of the engine is surely just a by product of combustion and has no bearing on fuel efficiency.
I may be wrong, it has happened once before, but please can you explain your reasoning as I am intrigued.

kingkongsfinger

Feb 16, 2005
Bolton
I usually get around 220 to 280 miles to 50 litres depending on where I've been but I excelled myself in my last Cupra and managed to get 154 miles from fully brimmed to creeping onto a petrol station forecourt where it swallowed 56 litres into the 55 litre tank. Incidently I was talking to the bloke who owns it now and he says out of the same car he's averaging 27MPG. Methinks my right foot may be slightly heavy!

154 mile tank might have been the day you let me test drive it for a bit[B)]

My car is running as sweet as a nut Gary, not been beat yet!!:p

Jan 18, 2007
West Of London
Less oil is used up during warmer periods than cold so the efficiency comes in the reduction of in chamber friction because the oil is having to work less to maintain the efficiency.

So in short, running the engine in warmer weather gives better mpg, but less power. For more power, you need colder air which cools the oil slightly and makes the mpg lower.

I may be incorrect as I was led to understand this is the reason.

Last edited:
154 mile tank might have been the day you let me test drive it for a bit[B)]

My car is running as sweet as a nut Gary, not been beat yet!!:p
Hiya,

Glad its running well, I imagine its getting nicely loosened up now. When are you coming in to have the revolving plates fitted?

Don't think you'd have been good company after wearing that big fluffy slipper to drive with, I bet you went out the next day and thrashed the arse of it!

As good as the diesels are (and lets face it, they are good) having the ability to drive to the moon and back on 3 teaspoons of overpriced truck driver's insulin (sorry, derv) will never compensate for that shove in the back at about 4,000 RPM. If I wanted to save money I'd join The Woolwich!!!!

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
Well it's a 55 litre tank and the light comes on at 7 litres (acording to the manual).

It's currently costing me about £55 to £58 to fill up with v-power by the time I get to the pump from the light coming on.

£70 last fill up for me ..... yikes... the price of shell vpower diesel is scary .! :blink:

Steendp

I wont even begin to calculate my fuel economy... That's not the reason I bought the Cupra :)

(I saw 30L/100 this weekend over a full tank - but I had fun)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.