Cupra calipers help

Sep 20, 2006
Birmingham
Im pretty sure my front drivers side caliper is sticking. Done the wheel touching test and the drivers side seems to get hotter than the rest.
I believe the 8v cupra has 256mm brakes. Going to go to the local scrap yard this weekend, but i doubt they will have many cupra's so what other VAG car has the same size brakes?

Also should i replace the passenger side caliper as well?

Cheers.

j.cavo

8 valves of pure power
Aug 6, 2009
Liverpool
Ye I defo would just for piece of mind im thinkin of replacing all mine just cos they have some rust on them cos theyve sat there so long

raepaul

May 27, 2009
im sure the mk4 polo valver is the same size, also iirc the mk3 ibiza tdi is 256mm aswell

i may be corrected on this though

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
i had a sticker calliper on the mk2 golf, take the pads out and push it back in. then push it out with the pedal, not all the way obviously then back in. done this a few times to free it up and have had no hassle since.

Sep 20, 2006
Birmingham
i had a sticker calliper on the mk2 golf, take the pads out and push it back in. then push it out with the pedal, not all the way obviously then back in. done this a few times to free it up and have had no hassle since.

Well i managed to pick up a caliper from the scrappies. Got real lucky as they literally received an ibiza gti that morning. Might still try your advice as it will save me having to repaint the new caliper.

Will hopefully be able to sort it this weekend.

rubjonny

bit late now but Passats are a good source for these calipers, pretty much all of the base spec models will have 256mm brakes. Some MK3 Golfs had them too, but not so common. Be aware that you could get 256mm solid discs, so check the discs are vented before you buy.

also the stickyness could be down to the slider pins rather than the caliper itself, so worth poping them out and giving them + the hole a damn good clean to check for pitting and corrosion.

have a looky in the 'Caliper seal kits' thread for a list of part numbers, inc seal kits and new slider boots. If the boots have holes in water will get into the slider holes and bugger the pins

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
Well i managed to pick up a caliper from the scrappies. Got real lucky as they literally received an ibiza gti that morning. Might still try your advice as it will save me having to repaint the new caliper.

Will hopefully be able to sort it this weekend.

what scrappy was that krishen?
cos i need a single indicator (don't know which one atm, need to look at the headlights, going back to standard from crappy angel lights)

Sep 20, 2006
Birmingham
what scrappy was that krishen?
cos i need a single indicator (don't know which one atm, need to look at the headlights, going back to standard from crappy angel lights)

It was one in London. Think it's called hamiltons in alperton. In the midlands someone told me Sandburns had afew. If not they're only about £10 new.

Sep 20, 2006
Birmingham
bit late now but Passats are a good source for these calipers, pretty much all of the base spec models will have 256mm brakes. Some MK3 Golfs had them too, but not so common. Be aware that you could get 256mm solid discs, so check the discs are vented before you buy.

also the stickyness could be down to the slider pins rather than the caliper itself, so worth poping them out and giving them + the hole a damn good clean to check for pitting and corrosion.

have a looky in the 'Caliper seal kits' thread for a list of part numbers, inc seal kits and new slider boots. If the boots have holes in water will get into the slider holes and bugger the pins

Oh. How do you clean the hole that the sliding pins go into? I did take the pins out and give the a clean and re-grease them but it's still stickng.
I've got a new caliper but just thinking maybe I should give this a try first and see if it works. Saves me having to paint the new caliper lol

rubjonny

i wrap a ton of kitchen roll round a screwdriver, drown it in wd40/penatrating oil/petrol and poke it down the hole. twist as you go and be carefull the screwy doesnt pope thru the roll and scratch the carrier. then a few cotton buds down it to clean any stubborn bits off :)

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
It was one in London. Think it's called hamiltons in alperton. In the midlands someone told me Sandburns had afew. If not they're only about £10 new.

thanks mate, london is far lol
yeah i'm at cov uni, so will pop down sandburns, just thought you seen 1 in brum mate!

Sep 20, 2006
Birmingham
Ok. So thought I'd change the rear pads today. Managed the drivers side easy enough but with the passenger side just couldn't push the piston back in.
So took it to the local gararge and they couldn't push it in either. They reckon it's well and truely fooked.
Any one got any hints or tips on how to get the piston back in or do I need a new caliper?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.