cupra fsi t V astra vxr

H8T WP

both 237 bhp ish..

the cupra is quicker though ???

discuss...

Last edited by a moderator:

H8T WP

i dont mean it like that...my friend has one and we are meeting at the pod in a few weeks... what are my chances?

leviathan18

Jan 30, 2007
Venezuela, Caracas
which has more torque?????

and which is lighter????

if they are similar it comes down to who is the best driver or who has the better tires or maybe who was the luckiest that day

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
I have driven both and performance wise, probably much of a muchness both being very similar stats depending what magazine you read with the 0-60 times etc.

The Cupra however should be better at handling the power, so may be quicker in real life.

The VXR I drove which was one of the first the dealers got suffered from torque steer and felt like the car couldn't handle the power that well. I think SEAT learnt from the mistakes of other manufacturers and is a better balanced car.

flakmunky

Olympic Knitting Champion
Aug 23, 2005
Marmitehampton
Before buying my FR I test drove the big 3 - VXR, ST and Golf GTI (as well as the FR obviously!)

Coming from a rear wheel drive 300 bhp platform I was completely shaken by the VXR & ST; I found the power delivery and resulting torque steer was border line frightening!

I did not like the VXR at all - the torque steer is the worst I have ever experienced and took all of the fun out of a B road blast... Worrying that the next slight bump might send you in to a tree is not my idea of fun! The ST was similar but not quite as bad.

I found the FR (and its stuck up cousin) managed to get the power down a lot more smoothly, I suspect it is partly to do with the lower power but I think the VAGs may have better electroincs... I seem to recall reading that they use Bosch kit, whereas Ford and Vauxhall use their own but I might be wrong on that one so don't flame me if I am, but please do put me right!

I never took a Cupra out - the garage didn't have one and anyway I just had to have the DSG once I'd played with it... I guess I must be from the Playstation Generation! One thing I will say, in real world situations (i.e road driving) 0.8 seconds difference in 0-60 is feck-all - perhaps a car length - what is more important is driver enjoyment and so handling starts to play a bigger part than flat out power. I stopped playing the 'my cars faster than yours' game on the roads a few years back...

On a track its a completely different matter!

I would be interested to know what the torque steer is like in the Cupra, though. Is there any? I suspect there is but that the electronics keep it under control...

fM

Last edited:

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland
to be honest i never felt much torque steer when my cupra was standard, and even now when it s remapped there is minimal wheels spin from the cupra, this is helped by the very good traction control system that the car has... saying this when i switch the traction control off (nearly always) there is still very little wheel spin bearing in mind it a front wheel drive with 300+bhp, i am very happy with it.

P.S. i still wish it was 4 wheel drive lol

flakmunky

Aug 23, 2005
Marmitehampton
Don't the VAGs have some kind of electronic based limited slip diff? Not as great as a proper lsd, but better than nothing at all... I'm sure I read this...

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland
you are more than likely right, as all other cars i drove in the same performance area i was lesser impressed with, that is why i chose SEAT again, i would be interested to find out if there is a differant diff in the car

flakmunky

Aug 23, 2005
Marmitehampton
I'm trying to remember where I read it - it was only the other day - but I'm sure what I read said that it worked up until 80km/h and could control a small amount of differential slip by applying the brakes independently, so like I said, not a true mechanical lsd... But something over and above other manufacturers ESP and TCS...

DandB

My other car
Jul 20, 2007
London
Coming from an Audi Quattro (260bhp) i was pleasantly suprised at how the Cupra copes with applying the power to the road, even with 300+bhp!!!

I hated driving the VXR and i'm sure the Cupra would out pace it and would definately out corner it!

Ben CTR

Still Part Of VAG
May 6, 2003
Open Road...
Visit site
The VXR is slightly heavier and maybe a little down on power from what some examples have been getting on the rollers..
But @ Pod it'll be down to the driver i'd say. If both the same, then you should nip it..

leviathan18

Jan 30, 2007
Venezuela, Caracas
yaw is the distribution of torque between the wheels usually in RWD cars

the ESP we have in our car works with the ABS and EBD to control the wheel spinning what a a real LSD quaife limited split differential costs like 1000$