Cupra has spoilt me

Boj27

Dec 15, 2015
London
Hey guys,

I was thinking about swapping my Cupra 280 for a 4wd VAG variant (Audi tts, golf R). I test drove a golf R today and took it on some "spirited driving roads". The nose felt very heavy compared to the cupra, and it actually didn't feel quite as quick. Even off the mark, my Cupra has PSS on the fronts and the difference between the fwd and 4wd was very minimal. It was a dry sunny day, so in the wet I'm sure the 4wd car would have the advantage off the mark there.

The fact of the matter is, the Cupra has spoilt me. What do you possibly replace such a great car with in a 20k budget? The only thing I can really say could use some improvement, is the interior compared to the golf's. But then you have to think VAG have to cut the costs somewhere.

The only thing I could possibly think about swapping the Cupra for is a dirty 5 cylinder TTRS, but then again it would be a 12 plate at the oldest as I'm sure the new TTRS's will not be 20k any time soon!

Piran

Jun 2, 2015
Kent
I was having a look the other day at this and funny enough ended up with the ttrs. Only problem is the size of them since I have only once car. They do sound gorgeous and can tune to silly numbers. Maybe wait for the new to come out and then they'll drop in price a bit.

SiR26

Mar 21, 2015
Manchester
Hey guys,

I was thinking about swapping my Cupra 280 for a 4wd VAG variant (Audi tts, golf R). I test drove a golf R today and took it on some "spirited driving roads". The nose felt very heavy compared to the cupra, and it actually didn't feel quite as quick. Even off the mark, my Cupra has PSS on the fronts and the difference between the fwd and 4wd was very minimal. It was a dry sunny day, so in the wet I'm sure the 4wd car would have the advantage off the mark there.

The fact of the matter is, the Cupra has spoilt me. What do you possibly replace such a great car with in a 20k budget? The only thing I can really say could use some improvement, is the interior compared to the golf's. But then you have to think VAG have to cut the costs somewhere.

The only thing I could possibly think about swapping the Cupra for is a dirty 5 cylinder TTRS, but then again it would be a 12 plate at the oldest as I'm sure the new TTRS's will not be 20k any time soon!

could try a Renault sport 275 trophy but the quality and equipment isn't as good . Very capable cars tho and exciting to drive and could pick one up for around that budget if you press the seller hard enough

pmmcbl

May 13, 2016
I would go for a BMW M135i. The engine and the auto box are miles better and being RWD adds to the fun factor. I came from a 335i and I miss it very much.

simonsaunders

Jan 5, 2016
I would go for a BMW M135i. The engine and the auto box are miles better and being RWD adds to the fun factor. I came from a 335i and I miss it very much.

140i is on its way. Hold off for now...

If I had to change mine tomorrow, bugger knows what I'd get. Covers so many bases for the price.

pmmcbl

May 13, 2016
The original post only has £20k to spend so it will be M135i and the 140 is mainly a badge change like the 335i and 340i.

Aaron87

Nov 19, 2013
I'd suggest an M135i or if your budget can stretch the M235i is also very good!! I only chose the 290 over them due to cost and I think it looks better than the M135i

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OptimusDecline

Feb 24, 2016
Scotland
I'd suggest an M135i or if your budget can stretch the M235i is also very good!! I only chose the 290 over them due to cost and I think it looks better than the M135i

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I came from an M135I so it always makes me nervous when people with cupras suggest it as a better alternative. I'm still waiting on delivery of my cupra 290 but I've already sold my m135 to buy my wife a 325d.

The m135I was a very nice car and the engine was so smooth and torquey and sounded much more special than the 4 cylinders I was used to. Nicer interior than the SEAT in my opinion as well but it was just a bit too lazy feeling in terms of body control. Too much body roll for my liking and really needed an LSD as it gets really scrappy when you start throwing it around. I used to have Renaultsport megane so the M135I just wasn't as fun in the corners as I was used to.

Had a good couple of hours of test drive in a 280 on the country lanes and felt once it was no longer traction limited in the first few gears, it was just as accelerative as the m135 and streets ahead in terms of body control and steering feel. The m135 does have a lot of appeal though and if someone was after more of a GT premium feeling hatch then I'd recommend one.

Boj27

Dec 15, 2015
London
I could of had 135i for the money spent on my Cupra, but I couldn't get a test drive in one as I am only 21, they said I had to be 25 everywhere I looked and I wouldn't buy a car unless I could test drive one first unfortunately :(. It would of been my first rear wheel drive car too, the interior is a lot nicer I don't doubt, but sometimes the thought of a powerful RWD car scares me a little :D I've a feeling it's going to be a mk3 TTS next, or if I can get one of the jobs I've applied for in the past few days, then maybe a mk3 TTRS! Or if the a45 AMG grows on me, possible one of those in the hatchback or CLA format. The hatch is an ugly ugly car though. there's also the golf R, but I think there are WAY too many on the road, maybe a mark 8? Too many S3's as well. Maybe a new RS3 if funds permit.

Last edited:

Daz68

Apr 18, 2002
Somewhere up north
Personally, I would go for a Mazda 3 Sport 2006. I happen to know a guy who's got one for sale and I'm pretty sure you'd get it for less than 20k.

:p;)

Trettiosjuan

Jan 21, 2016
I came from an M135I so it always makes me nervous when people with cupras suggest it as a better alternative. I'm still waiting on delivery of my cupra 290 but I've already sold my m135 to buy my wife a 325d.

The m135I was a very nice car and the engine was so smooth and torquey and sounded much more special than the 4 cylinders I was used to. Nicer interior than the SEAT in my opinion as well but it was just a bit too lazy feeling in terms of body control. Too much body roll for my liking and really needed an LSD as it gets really scrappy when you start throwing it around. I used to have Renaultsport megane so the M135I just wasn't as fun in the corners as I was used to.

Had a good couple of hours of test drive in a 280 on the country lanes and felt once it was no longer traction limited in the first few gears, it was just as accelerative as the m135 and streets ahead in terms of body control and steering feel. The m135 does have a lot of appeal though and if someone was after more of a GT premium feeling hatch then I'd recommend one.
Happy to read your M135i experience. It alignes with my prejudices and preferences, for me the total handling package is more important than the driveline. I've had a previous one series and a lot of work had to go in it to get it to really handle and hear similar tjings of the M135i. There's the M2 but delivery time was awful.
The Cupra is a more polished version of the Megane, bit more tied down, nicer interior, better comfort, more practical and stylish (esp. the eSTate) imho. Having had two rwd and lots of fun, a good fwd is surprisingly refreshing still except the purposeful corner exit oversteer antics, obviously but even that (or me?) can grow a bit old...

Last edited:

pmmcbl

May 13, 2016
This is why I love the fact people have different views and taste in cars. The world would be boring if everyone drive the same car. Having driven most of the current hot hatch's I would still go for the M135i as a great balance between everyday use and fun. If I was looking for fun the Megane would be my choice. I haven't driven the new focus RS yet but could be the new option.

The Leon cupra is a great car but in a world of extreme at both ends, it doesn't outshine the competition.
Shame really since I love the looks of the car.

Aaron87

Nov 19, 2013
Focus RS is looking like a serious contender @ £30k list price.. I'm not a huge Ford fan and don't get on with their seating positions personally.

M135i would of been my choice in car but I just really don't like the look of the front end with the 2016 Face lift.. I drove the auto version and it was very good!!

Trettiosjuan

Jan 21, 2016
Also considered the Focus RS. Love the idea of the 4wd. But with this dynamic promise, four things for me decided against:
- The RS is quite lardy, close to 200 real kg more then a comparable Cupra (except 4wd obviously) which is reflected in the more critical reviews
- Because of the above it isn't noticeably quicker with its 350hp and fuel consumption is rumoured to be downright awful too
- Tiny boot 260l
- No discount and no test drive when I was ready to order

Still like it but not enough obviously.