BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
That's what will happen, I looked hard at a Hyundai i30 N Perf and Toyota GR Yaris before I got the CUPRA.
Even Skoda. I have had 2 mk1 fabia vrs's and 1 mk1 octavia vrs in the past. Even Skoda has got somewhat confused with it's identity.

The new octavia vrs is crazy money new. It used to be the sensible mans choice. They are knocking on 40k now for a bloomin' Skoda 😵💫

Reactions: Seastormer

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
But then where does the new premium brand sit?

Is a rebranded Seat as Cupra going to be on par with say a VW badge? Or are they aiming higher than that? Surely that's then Audi.

I think they are confused with their identity. I suppose it is 2022 and thats not an uncommon thing
That’s a very good question.

I read somewhere (sorry, can‘t remember where) that VAG had aspirations of Cupra slotting in below Audi but above VW in the VAG brand hierarchy. I suppose that would make sense with Audi recognised as the premium brand, Cupra would be up there with Audi; probably in second place in the pecking order.

I personally don’t consider VW to be a premium brand; I’d see Cupra above VW in the pecking order. IMHO VW are VAG’s volume manufacturer, although I dare say there’ll be VW owners who’d disagree and consider their VW’s to be a premium product 🤣.

Agree, there does seem to be confusion around identity 🤔.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I would say VW is a premium brand but it is a brand that the inconspicous person would purchase. Those that want a nice car but don't want the flash that comes along with it.

Reactions: '& Son' managed

KoenG

Jan 3, 2023
That's what will happen, I looked hard at a Hyundai i30 N Perf and Toyota GR Yaris before I got the CUPRA.
And both of those are also incredible fine machines to drive, I also considered both. To me the Curpra Leon was the only car I didn't have to be embarrased about at +50yrs because it's a sleeper and actrually even car enthousiast are incredibly ignorant about the cupra brand (what is it? where is it coming from?). The only thing that gives it away is the double round exhaust tips, and go figure, I had to mentally accept it! ;)

deveh

Dec 5, 2021
Lithuania
For me it was an easy choice.

GR Yaris - a two seater is a no go. We have a baby now. And the dashboard - oh my god. Single piece of plastic with white numbers just painted on it. That isn't acceptable at GR Yaris price point. That isn't acceptable at Dacia Sandero or Kia Rio price point. That wasn't acceptable 20 years ago. Is this some kind of a joke Toyota did? How poorly can they make it (costs them two cents each?) and if people will still buy it? They did normal dashboard for GR Corolla.

Hyundai i30N Perf - the first model deserved a good look. It was 28k eur. If facelift would costed the same - I probably would have went with Hyundai i30N. But facelift model here in Lithuania is sold only with DCT and costs... 36k. Cupra Leon ST costed me 35k. So, for more money I would get a slower car, less powerful car (more than 30 BHP difference), only FWD (vs AWD) and a smaller car.

Reactions: axeriano

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
For me it was an easy choice.

GR Yaris - a two seater is a no go. We have a baby now. And the dashboard - oh my god. Single piece of plastic with white numbers just painted on it. That isn't acceptable at GR Yaris price point. That isn't acceptable at Dacia Sandero or Kia Rio price point. That wasn't acceptable 20 years ago. Is this some kind of a joke Toyota did? How poorly can they make it (costs them two cents each?) and if people will still buy it? They did normal dashboard for GR Corolla.

Hyundai i30N Perf - the first model deserved a good look. It was 28k eur. If facelift would costed the same - I probably would have went with Hyundai i30N. But facelift model here in Lithuania is sold only with DCT and costs... 36k. Cupra Leon ST costed me 35k. So, for more money I would get a slower car, less powerful car (more than 30 BHP difference), only FWD (vs AWD) and a smaller car.
Japanese cars generally are sketchy inside 🤣🤣

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.