Cupra Leon Mk4 Number Plate

Jun 14, 2022
Has anyone removed the front mounting bracket for the number plate? If so can you share any pictures as I am fitting a smaller plate when mines arrives and unsure how this will look or fit
Cheers

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Has anyone removed the front mounting bracket for the number plate? If so can you share any pictures as I am fitting a smaller plate when mines arrives and unsure how this will look or fit
Cheers
Are smaller plates legal now, as there have been a lot of changes to the regulations, even the fixing screws (if sticky pads not used) have to now be at the top corners of each plate, to stop being used to change the appearance of the numbers.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Setting aside the regulatory issues, I dare say the front number plate mounting backplate is screwed directly into the front bumper, and depending on the position of the screws, removing it and fitting a short(er) registration plate could leave the backplate screw holes exposed.

Jun 14, 2022
Setting aside the regulatory issues, I dare say the front number plate mounting backplate is screwed directly into the front bumper, and depending on the position of the screws, removing it and fitting a short(er) registration plate could leave the backplate screw holes exposed.
Yeah this is really why I’m asking, just had new plates made up (JO22 DYY) got it made in the smallest legal size but didn’t know if the outer screws of the bracket went through the bumper or if it was more centred, if it’s centre then will be all good if outer then will need to get a bigger plate

Jun 14, 2022
Are smaller plates legal now, as there have been a lot of changes to the regulations, even the fixing screws (if sticky pads not used) have to now be at the top corners of each plate, to stop being used to change the appearance of the numbers.
yeah they were just made two weeks ago and comply with all the new rules and regulations, these were done by a local plate supplier, not to sure on they fixing situation I have friends with magnet backed plates and they have all had no trouble or issues with the law in regards to this, I think the main issue is plates not mounted centre and the ANPR cameras struggle to record them of off to the side

Last edited:

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
yeah they were just made two weeks ago and comply with all the new rules and regulations, these were done by a local plate supplier, not to sure on they fixing situation I have friends with magnet backed plates and they have all had no trouble or issues with the law in regards to this, I think the main issue is plates not mounted centre and the ANPR cameras struggle to record them of off to the side
Did you end up removing the bracket?

I found pictures of a used mk4 Seat Leon bumper for sale on eBay - see below. Not a Cupra Leon bumper, but I dare say the manner in which the number plate holder is attached to the bumper would be the same. You can see in the picture that there are four holes (circled) where the fixings for the number plate holder pass through the bumper cover. They are quite widely spaced, so if anyone were to remove the number plate holder and fit a smaller, shorter number plate, then those holes wouldn’t be covered by the number plate. It would be necessary to get the holes filled and that section of the bumper (or the whole bumper?) repainted.

The number plate holder on the mk7.5 VW Golf is attached in the same way. A guy on one of the Golf forums recently posted a picture of his car with a short number plate fitted and the plate holder removed, and the fixing holes are visible.

36B56A91-2232-4C00-9EA7-38EBDFDE00A8.jpeg

Reverse side;
332E9659-3275-474F-873A-63AD1462F40D.jpeg

dartsi

Jun 5, 2017
I found pictures of a used mk4 Seat Leon bumper for sale on eBay - see below. Not a Cupra Leon bumper, but I dare say the manner in which the number plate holder is attached to the bumper would be the same. You can see in the picture that there are four holes (circled) where the fixings for the number plate holder pass through the bumper cover. They are quite widely spaced, so if anyone were to remove the number plate holder and fit a smaller, shorter number plate, then those holes wouldn’t be covered by the number plate. It would be necessary to get the holes filled and that section of the bumper (or the whole bumper?) repainted.

The number plate holder on the mk7.5 VW Golf is attached in the same way. A guy on one of the Golf forums recently posted a picture of his car with a short number plate fitted and the plate holder removed, and the fixing holes are visible.

View attachment 35237

Reverse side;
View attachment 35238
Good find. I wonder if anyone is up for trying to plug the holes with colour-coloured plastic plugs - that might be a reasonable alternative to painting the whole bumper just for a few small holes. E.g. https://bumperplugs.com/bumperplugs-for-volkswagen

I had this same issue with my 2016 Passat, but “luckily” I had a small accident and ended up having the front bumper resprayed and covered by insurance. I asked the workshop if they wouldn't mind removing the plate bracket and filling the holes during the work, to which they kindly obliged.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.