Cupra overheating

ajaychavda

Hi all,

Got a bit of an issue with my cupra today. Driving along when temp gauge shot past 120 and three beeps came on.

On closer inspection fan is not coming on after car is parked up, checked the fuse and seems fine here. A/C still working as normal.

Any ideas if its the water pump/coolant sensor thats playing up?

Cheers,
Ajay

ajaychavda

checked the far right fuse on top of the battery, car has done approx 38k miles.

Not been changed sine i bought it. Can bypass the fuse box when the car is off to get fan working and it does kick in, so it may to do with the wiring heading down from the fuse cover?

ajaychavda

Dunno mate, not really sure but i'll get it checked out tomorrow or during week to make sure. Fan definetely is not coming on after driving around so could be the thermostat sensor thats causing the issue.

Feb 25, 2007
cheshire
to see if your water pump is working...start the engine and take off the header tank car, the top pipe going into the head take should be putting water back in to it! if it isnt the it your water pump!

cupra_on_wye

hey, i have had this problem with mine..........firstly have you been steam cleaning your engine bay? there is a black fuse box on top of the battery with 3 30 amp fuses in the far right one controls the fans, this may be corroded and need cleaning or renewing......sorted mine

ajaychavda

turned out to be the water pump, so i got it changed over for one with a metal impellor, and did the timing belt too at the same time.

common problem indeed.

Dec 31, 2005
London
mine is intermittent, just had a water pipe replaced as it had rusted, still a bit unsure of the whole thing but thats another story.
It overheated today and same thing happened as you, so put the heat on full until i could pull over and that helped a bit, checked the fans and they had stopped, the fuses looked fine but when i moved the end one they came back on. It took a while to get it out and it looked like it had started to burn onto the holder so gave it a clean and put it back in but will be getting new ones asap before it catches on fire

ajaychavda

So there was me thinking the problem was sorted...

car started overheating again yesterday, on inspection the far right fuse had melted into the fusebox and started melting away at the other two fuses. Needless to say not impressed and looks like i will be needing a new fuse box holder.

The old impellor has snapped off so why is the fuse box now causing an issue?

B3NPM_Cupra

Money = Power!
Dec 9, 2006
Tamworth (West Mids)
So there was me thinking the problem was sorted...

car started overheating again yesterday, on inspection the far right fuse had melted into the fusebox and started melting away at the other two fuses. Needless to say not impressed and looks like i will be needing a new fuse box holder.

The old impellor has snapped off so why is the fuse box now causing an issue?

had the exact same thing with mine this week....its prob the most common fault on the ibiza...everytime i get out i check to see if the secondary pump is runing now!

ajaychavda

car is drinking coolant at the mo too so it leads me to believe the head gasket could be gone.

i tell you one thing, the mechanics who fixed the problem initially are going to get words if i find out they didnt do a proper job. no way im paying for it.

Dec 31, 2005
London
check the water pipe, mine had rusted and was leaking coolant, basically from the back of the engine bay the left hand pipe circled in pic, which goes down underneath the inlet manifold near the dipstick. You can clearly see where mine had rusted, but there was also a split further up aswell.
DSC007982.jpg

DSC00802.jpg

_AJ

Ex - Ibiza Cupra
Apr 11, 2006
Essex
My car got a bit warm when sitting on the spot the other day, so after reading this thread l thought l check out the fan and secondery pump situation.

Car weren't on long enough for the fans to kick in, but after switching the car off l couldn't hear the pump :(

So l take it, the first place to start would be to check the fuses on top of the battery???

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
My car got a bit warm when sitting on the spot the other day, so after reading this thread l thought l check out the fan and secondery pump situation.

Car weren't on long enough for the fans to kick in, but after switching the car off l couldn't hear the pump :(

So l take it, the first place to start would be to check the fuses on top of the battery???

yeah spot on mate

B3NPM_Cupra

Money = Power!
Dec 9, 2006
Tamworth (West Mids)

yep, the fuse on the far left of the fuse box controls the fans and secondary water pump! new fuse box and mine was all sorted

_AJ

Ex - Ibiza Cupra
Apr 11, 2006
Essex
Right, so l checked the fuses and l think l found the problem.

The fuse on the right (closest to the wing) has totally corroded.
Pulled the fuse out, but it only had one tooth sticking out, so l believe the other one has melted and broken off in the holder?!?!?!?!?

So options, can l remove the holder, give it a clean up and re fit with new fuses?? Or will it be best to get a new fuse holder instead??

If the latter option, how much are they and where could l get one from??

Cheers.

_AJ

Ex - Ibiza Cupra
Apr 11, 2006
Essex
Is the Ibiza the only VAG car that has this Fuse holder on top of the battery design???

So l'd have to get a new one from SEAT or will other VAG dealers supply the part?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.