Cupra R surging when cold and long raised idle time

Cupra_power

torque ain't cheap
Nov 1, 2004
the burbs...
Hi all,

Getting a very slight surging when the car is cold, for about 2 minutes after start up if I hold the pedal constant, which I never had in my cupra, anyone else get this surging on start up ?

Also my raised idling +- 3 minutes, when the car has just been started seems to lasted much longer than in my previous Cupra which lasted max 30 sec or so, the R seems to take 1 or 2 minutes before the idling returns to normal. Is this just an R thing, or is my damn temp sensor on it way out ?

Last edited:

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
hard to say, it could be down to the secondary air injection, aslong as you water temp doesnt dance up and down the dial sensor should be fine

i know mine (1.8t toledo) has a fast idle for a min or so on cold start

Legohead

Feb 11, 2006
Hertfordshire
I get a sensation of the car surging when running cold, hold the throttle steady so you carry a steady slow speed, say 30 in 3rd and the car feels like your pulsing the throttle.

Sound like your problem?? Not sure what it is, was gonna raise the issue at the next service

panholio

Jun 26, 2006
Leeds
Thought jerky cold LCRs were fairly normal. Mine does it and has just had a CTS replaced.

If it's not normal I'd be interested to hear any possible causes.

Cupra_power

torque ain't cheap
Nov 1, 2004
the burbs...
It is a very sight surging, it only happens while the idle is high, once the idle returns to normal the surging disappears at steady throttle. The time it takes for the idle to return to normal is much longer than my previous cupra, which seems strange.

I had this surging in the cupra and it was caused through a duffed temp sensor, although this happened all the time, no fault code but after they replaced the sensor cured the problem.

Last edited:

D3DNA

May 14, 2006
Cov
As bushybeaver has stated, its likely to be the choke on during the start, this would explain the surging/pulsing when driving. On colder days I tend to start the car and leave it idle for a good few mins to help the engine, plus helps demist/change out cd changer.

sargey

Escaped mental patient
Aug 16, 2006
Weston-super-crapland
hey, what do you mean by surging? As my cupra when cold sounds as if its blowing, the idle is higher, about 1200 rpm and after about 1 minute it stops and is fine.

Is this the same? or is something wrong with mine

Cupra_power

torque ain't cheap
Nov 1, 2004
the burbs...
If you maintain a steady position on the throttle, there is a verys light surging which can be felt. All of them have the raised idling when first started seems the Cupra R has a longer raised idle time than the cupra.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
mine is terrible due to the bigger turbo. it exagerrates it. at idle revs can surge by 500rpm. i run her for a miniute or so and restart the car. shes ok then.

its common on lcs and lcrs. i think theres a problem with the cold start up map but who knows. i dont really understand the differences on cold start. id love to be able to check everything that comes into play

Steamy

Jan 5, 2002
Scotland
Visit site
Have to say I don't think the surging is a trait if all LCR's. For example mine only started doing this last week and I have done over 30k miles.
If anyone gets a solution I would be pleased to hear it too!

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
Steamy said:
Have to say I don't think the surging is a trait if all LCR's. For example mine only started doing this last week and I have done over 30k miles.
If anyone gets a solution I would be pleased to hear it too!

yep same here. mine seemed to occur at exacly the same time as a temp sensor fault appeared. its never been right since

Cupra_power

torque ain't cheap
Nov 1, 2004
the burbs...
it does seem related to temp, when it is warm above 10 degrees then then surging does not occur, but any colder and the surging shows. Been watching it for the past week or so.

cupra-c_ya

I love da boost!
Oct 4, 2004
devon
img124.imageshack.us
I get this on mine too, ive had a temp sensor fitted back along but I suppose this could be faulty again but no fault codes.
I was gonna give my TB a good clean to see if this had anything to do with the poor idle, could be full of **** as not cleaned in 50k miles to my knowledge, worth a try. just waiting for my air intake cleaner to be delivered.

si-mate

Jai Ho or Jay Ho?
May 31, 2004
Kunt Centryside
Mine has always done it and I raised it with the dealer a few months ago. They spoke to Seat technical who suggested cleaning the throttle body.
It's better than before but still noticeable.

I just accept it now as a trait of the car - like rattles.

foon

si-mate said:
I just accept it now as a trait of the car - like rattles.

Yep, I just treat it as a reminder not to cane the car before it's warmed up ;)

D3DNA

May 14, 2006
Cov
I was looking at my car earlier on a cold start idle and without the climate control on I was looking at ~1100rpms for the first few minutes then it gradually dropped to around 800rpms. When holding the pedal open slightly I did get the surging but a recent VAG-COM diagnosis revealed the car being in top shape.
I've spoken to my mate who is a Ford technician and he seems to thing because of the colder weather and wetter weather the condensation that will build up in the engine bay will have an affect on the intake system. He has a Cossie and has similar issues where cold starting and the car being temprimental.