Cupra report 2 years on

saintelise

Having had my Cupra since Feb 08 now I thought I would share a few random view points of my ownership experience so far.

The link below is entitled First impressions after I'd had a test drive and bought it there and then!

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=155844

First off I really thought I was going to miss my Lotus Elise much more than I have.

The Elise was like owning a mini super car; lots of attention and positive comments, great fun to take on track days as well as a racing series and loads of history attached to the marque.

Driving to work on cold mornings was now a pleasure as the Cupra's heater is far better than the best efforts of the little plastic sports car, as was the radio, headlights and interior noise levels!

I often had questioned whether I should have test driven a few rivals before buying the SEAT, i.e. Megane, Focus ST, Golf GTI and Civic Type R. However the Cupra seems so rare (I hardly ever see any when I'm driving around) and being an old bugger (43) I'm not sure I want the attention an orange Focus would attract.

My neighbour didn't even know it was a SEAT - saw the 'S' on the front and thought it was a Suzuki!!

The most pleasing aspect is the engine, which seems to get most praise from magazine reviews - it is so smooth for a four pot, pulls well through the rev range and has never misbehaved once.

Although some critisize the dash I really like the layout, centrally mounted rev counter and the logical layout of the main controls. Door plastics are a bit on the cheap side but not a major problem. The other aspect which deserves a mention is the complete lack of any squueks or rattles - I'm fairly sure every new car I have ever owned has developed a few in the first couple of years.

The seats have proved to be comfortable although I always cast envious glances at other hot hatches fitted with Recaros.

Ride and handling are on the other side of firm but as I usually drive on my own there is nobody to complain!! The wife and kids have had a bit of a moan on journeys of 2 hours or more though.

The general fit and finish of the car is as good as the day I bought it - garaged every night and washed and waxed every couple of weeks.

I've only done 14500 miles and just had a second service at a local independent in Portsmouth who I incedently found out about on here.

The two front tyres now need replacing, I keep a close eye on the oil level but the engine is loosening up nicely now and feels better than ever.

It has been interesting to see the initial comments regarding the new Cupra R - I will need to see one in the flesh and take a drive but it does not have seemed to move the game on too much further than the standard Cupra - the dash in particular does not seem as 'racey' as the current layout.

All in all I have really enjoyed the car so far and have no thoughts to changing foir anything else in the forseeable future.

If you're still awake, thanks for getting to the end of my ramblings!! :D

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Cool. Glad to see you are still happy :)

Have you modified the car at all?

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
Glad it's still working out for you.

I have a petrol FR and the engine never fails to impress me - it's just passed 11500 miles and is really starting to loosen up now - shame it's going on Saturday really! (I'm having to go back to diesel!)

Personally the interior doesn't cut it for me - the A3 is miles ahead in terms of quality of materials and fit - even if it lacks the styling flair of the Leon.

Good news on the rattle front - mine isn't so good - it never rattles from the engine or road vibration, but even moderate volume levels on the stereo make it buzz - and I only have the bass on +1!

2zeroalpha

Chippin at the chalkface
Feb 12, 2008
Yorkshire
I totally agree. I am coming up to two years of cupra ownership (two cars) and I have loved them. The only reason I am moving on is I want quattro due to the combination of roads and weather over here in t'north.

saintelise

Cool. Glad to see you are still happy :)

Have you modified the car at all?

No not at all apart from some Armourfend type stuff on the bonnet and bumper to protect from stonchips.

Have been very tempted by a REVO stage 1, especially as the garage the car is serviced at is a REVO agent and has a rolling road too :clap:

Problem is I only do a 10 mile round trip commute to work during the week so not really worth it for that. I do plan on tracking the car next year though so maybe then I'll have a change of mind :D

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
No not at all apart from some Armourfend type stuff on the bonnet and bumper to protect from stonchips.

Have been very tempted by a REVO stage 1, especially as the garage the car is serviced at is a REVO agent and has a rolling road too :clap:

Problem is I only do a 10 mile round trip commute to work during the week so not really worth it for that. I do plan on tracking the car next year though so maybe then I'll have a change of mind :D

To me stage 1 is a no brainer. The difference in performance is phenomenal. Squeeze out the credit card. if you love your cupra now then I can only imagine how you will feel after you have had it mapped. :D

FR_Flavoured

saintelise, thankyou for your review, very interesting to read - from start TO finish. :)
Sounds like you have alot of praise for your Cupra, and are enjoying ownership. Is this your first SEAT?
Disappointed to hear your neighbour thought the "S" stood for Suzuki !! :blink: Pah, what does he know about cars anyway!? :D

A couple of side points, a work colleage just recently bought an Elise, as his PRIMARY vehicle (!!), I have yet to see it, but will be interested to hear how it serves him, having to use it EVERY day to work and to the shops at the weekend!

Would have gone for the Cupra (too), however I have a daily 80 mile round trip to work, so went for a more fuel efficient Diesel FR (PD170). I'm enjoying my car (of course), proving very reliable with no issues to report, and agree it is nice to drive around in a car thats not as common on the roads (to the Vauxhall's, Fords etc) - more unique!

Although. from time to time I do ponder how different the Cupra experience would be! ;)

saintelise

FR Flavoured - It is my first SEAT, before the Lotus I had 3 different BMW coupes and saloons.

It's funny you saying about how you might have found Cupra ownership, because I always thought should I have bought an FR and saved a few £'s - I'm sure I would have been just as pleased with the performance :)

FR_Flavoured

....you've come from a very decent pedigree of cars then, with your Elise and 3 BM's ! :)

After writing my reply above, I did seriously think about contacting my local SEAT dealer for a test drive in the Cupra. I've decided not to, as I might very well get depressed at the difference in performance, compared to my Diesel FR - especially if its quite a significant difference!

tommot

Glad you have \ are still enjoying it!

I keep thinking about doing a thread like this - I will have had mine for two years and 60,000 miles in two weeks time and it will be three years old and overall I can't fault the experience either!

The two front tyres now need replacing

Slight diference... mine is due its 17th and 18th new tyres fitting to the front next week...

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
....you've come from a very decent pedigree of cars then, with your Elise and 3 BM's ! :)

After writing my reply above, I did seriously think about contacting my local SEAT dealer for a test drive in the Cupra. I've decided not to, as I might very well get depressed at the difference in performance, compared to my Diesel FR - especially if its quite a significant difference!

you wont notice hat much ifference mate because of the way the cupras power is delivered its very linear , with the tdi you get a sudden oommpphh , so actually yoy might be dissapointed by driving the cupra.

HotHatchSteve

Jul 6, 2009
you wont notice hat much ifference mate because of the way the cupras power is delivered its very linear , with the tdi you get a sudden oommpphh , so actually yoy might be dissapointed by driving the cupra.

I found just the opposite when driving the two back to back. When out in a new FR Tdi and then a Cupra and the Cupra felt way better. Enough to make me buy one :D

FR_Flavoured

Thanks Rob for this, that might also make me feel better about not having spent an extra couple of thousand pounds just to have the Cupra instead of my FR. ;) On paper, the Cupra is 2 seconds faster to 60 than the Diesel FR, which "should" be a 25% increase in performance? But as you state, the power is applied differently from one to the other (alot more torque on the FR Tdi).

But theres only one way to find out, with a test drive. Might plan this soon anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: