Cupra /S3 /Golf R turbo problems

tommy918

Mar 4, 2011
North London
Just come across this article about problems with the turbo failing in these 3 models think i will hold out a while longer before any modding last thing i would want is for the turbo to fail and not be able to get it replaced under warranty because it had been remapped or had a induction kit fitted.anybody know of anyone who has had any issues with any of these cars mentioned.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/2...on-cupra-developing-turbo-problems-84773.html

Suicida1 Zombie

Mar 19, 2013
And thats why you use a tuning box when you are still in warranty, if something goes bang just whip it off and take it in.....

Suicida1 Zombie

Mar 19, 2013
True. Personally I like the fact that I could take the box off at the roadside in about two minutes and then no-one including Mr Recovery Man would ever know its been there.....

But then with my car not technically actually being 'mine' I am a lot more cautious regarding warranty.....

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Both REVO and APR representatives have said on Facebook (Vag Tuning) that a flash back to stock or using the stock mode mapping is fine.

One REVO tuner has taken a car to dealers to check if it flagged and didn't

Still not 100% proven but a flash back to stock shouldn't flag anything as its 100 stock when scanning.

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
The Cupra can't put its power down anyway, so why bother mapping it just to get more wheelspin and a flashing light on the dash (which may well be logged, too)?

Mar 13, 2011
The Cupra can't put its power down anyway, so why bother mapping it just to get more wheelspin and a flashing light on the dash (which may well be logged, too)?

I think the benefit is once you're rolling rather than standing start. But I agree, the power is plenty for a FWD car.

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Having come from a Stage2+ LCR to a Cupra 280 the power isnt enough once rolling.

MQB is alot better at putting its power down then the MK2 aswell

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
Well I can hear the wheels are spinning slightly going from 3rd to 4th gear in the dry and it's worse when the roads are damp, so the thought of an extra 70 ponies and who knows how much extra torque seems rather ridiculous. Can't see any point in getting a car that can't transfer the power it has to the road and then giving it more.

Last edited:

rocket_26_

Jul 29, 2004
Lincoln
Well I can hear the wheels are spinning slightly going from 3rd to 4th gear in the dry and it's worse when the roads are damp, so the thought of an extra 70 ponies and who knows how much extra torque seems rather ridiculous. Can't see any point in getting a car that can't transfer the power it has to the road and then giving it more.

Ive now clocked 3000 miles in my Cupra and Ive never experienced wheel spin of any kind when going from 3rd to 4th. Mine handles the standard power easily to be honest.

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello

Obviously dont know how to drive :cartman:

I can make mine spin up, but i cant drive it so it doesn't its about control

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.