Cupra /S3 /Golf R turbo problems

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
Dunno about not being able to drive, as the car is DSG, so all I'm doing is pressing a pedal and keeping the nose pointed in the right direction. The second part of your post I just don't understand at all...

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I meant to say can drive it so it doesn't spin.

You still need to control the power with DSG.

Audi USA has released a TSB for turbo replacement now

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Snah

Jul 7, 2014
Netherlands
Leon Cupra 280 Turbo problems

For all Cupra 280 owners and to be owners some info about faulty turbo chargers from IHI that were used in the Cupra, GolfR7 and AudiS3:

===================================================================================

Technical Service Bulletin

21E7 UPDATE – Turbocharger (NVLW)
August 5, 2014

Model(s) Year VIN Range Vehicle-Specific Equipment
A3 2015 See Campaign/Action screen in Elsa CNTC (2.0L)

Condition
This Update has been proactively released to prevent the following condition from occurring in the vehicle:

On Audi A3 vehicles manufactured within a specific period the turbocharger may fail causing the MIL to illuminate.

This Update is in effect until removed.

Vehicle must meet all of the following criteria:

 Procedure is valid only for vehicles that show the 21E7 code in the Elsa Campaign/Action Information screen on the day of repair.
 Vehicle must be within the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
 Procedure must be performed within the allotted time frame stated in this Technical Service Bulletin.
 Procedure must be performed on applicable vehicles in dealer inventory prior to sale.
Technical Background On Audi A3 vehicles manufactured within a specific period the turbocharger may fail causing the MIL to illuminate.

Cars with this engine code are having the turbo replaced under warranty.

================================================================================================

From Autoevolution website:

2014 Audi S3, Golf R and Leon Cupra Developing Turbo Problems

As cool as squeezing lots of power from a small engine is, it comes with reliability problems. The injectors, the turbo and the cylinders themselves are all pushed harder than in a naturally aspirated engine. Of course, engineers take this into consideration when making a car, but it doesn't always work out perfectly.

Three brand new hot hatches from the Volkswagen Group apparently suffer from the same mechanical problem: turbocharger failure.

We've found reports spread across SEAT, Volkswagen and Audi forums which show the brand new Golf R, Leon Cupra and S3 have developed this. Most reports we've been able to find are about the Audi S3, which is probably because the S3 has more variants and went on sale earlier than the Golf R.

All three models come with a 2-liter TSI/TFSI making either 280 PS or 300 PS (engine code CJXB, CJXC). The part at fault has the code "06K 145 702 N" and from what we gather is made by IHI Turbo (formerly known as Ishikawajima-Harima Heavy Industries).

All three cars are based on the same platform, the MQB, which means the mounting points for their engines are the same and so is the distance between the firewall and front axle. However, there are some differences in the powertrain. Both the Golf R (Type 5G), and the S3 (8V) have all-whee drive, while the Leon has front-wheel drive and 20 PS less.

According to one of our sources, the problem lies with a small batch of turbochargers that were built some time this spring (April and May), but a few owners have been reporting breakdown on the 2013 S3. The problem is repeatedly being traced back to the manifold sealing surface. This could be why Audi is rumored to fit a brand new turbo design on 2015 model year S3 and pushed back the launch of the TTS compared to the normal TT coupe.

2.0T Transverse Engine
(High output engines Europe – Example Golf R / S3 / Leon Cupra):
06K 145 702 J - Revision 1
06K 145 702 N - Revision 2
06K 145 722 A - Revision 3

The N version is the version that is faulty.
In all cases applicable also the Naftpump (High pressure pump) was changed due to damage by the failure.

====================================================================================

This means that during a production run of IHI they discovered that during April this year a batch of turbo's had a faulty gasket.
Not all cars are subject to this but read also here (from Autoevolution website):

All three models come with a 2-liter TSI/TFSI making either 280 PS or 300 PS (engine code CJXB, CJXC). The part at fault has the code "06K 145 702 N" and from what we gather is made by IHI Turbo (formerly known as Ishikawajima-Harima Heavy Industries).

All three cars are based on the same platform, the MQB, which means the mounting points for their engines are the same and so is the distance between the firewall and front axle. However, there are some differences in the powertrain. Both the Golf R (Type 5G), and the S3 (8V) have all-whee drive, while the Leon has front-wheel drive and 20 PS less.

According to one of our sources, the problem lies with a small batch of turbochargers that were built some time this spring (April and May), but a few owners have been reporting breakdown on the 2013 S3. The problem is repeatedly being traced back to the manifold sealing surface. This could be why Audi is rumored to fit a brand new turbo design on 2015 model year S3 and pushed back the launch of the TTS compared to the normal TT coupe.

Last edited:

Snah

Jul 7, 2014
Netherlands
Bloody hell thanks!
Mods can lock this thread down then or move it/add it to the other thread.:)

Last edited:

Snah

Jul 7, 2014
Netherlands
Well probably soon (hopefully) you get a recall request from Seat according to the info that is known at the moment and Audi already taking their responsibility.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
SEAT UK haven't got a campaign at the moment for this.. neither have AUDI UK or VW UK.

Just sent them the AUDI USA document

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
Why worry, it looks like the Leon has a different turbo to those affected. They say there have been 4 revisions, but none of those end with an N...

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Seat will be the last to react if at all on a recall and if they did it would be a lot lot longer after the other parts of the vw group did
That's by going on past history on seat issues.

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
Well I've told my dealer that regardless of modifications I know my turbo is faulty and should go up in a ball of flames ill be dumping it on their forecourt :)

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Well I've told my dealer that regardless of modifications I know my turbo is faulty and should go up in a ball of flames ill be dumping it on their forecourt :)

It's not down to your dealer it's down to seat uk !
You can tell your dealer what you want and unless you can prove it your on a very sticky wicket !

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
But surely with the proof that our turbos are faulty, the same turbos that audi are replacing, then we have a decent case. Plus I know gti's that have have had turbos replaced to rev T because of other issues they've caused on the cars. It's obvious vw knows about this but only audi are being Proactive about it imo

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
But surely with the proof that our turbos are faulty, the same turbos that audi are replacing, then we have a decent case. Plus I know gti's that have have had turbos replaced to rev T because of other issues they've caused on the cars. It's obvious vw knows about this but only audi are being Proactive about it imo

Not if your car is modified
That's a different scenario

Audi will always respond well and quicky it's the premium brand of the group , seat in my dealings are the poorer brand and it shows on how proactive they are.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.