Cupra TDI & FR TDI Exhausts

Cupra TDI 150

Sep 25, 2007
The seat dealer i'm picking my motor up from on wednesday told me the basic difference between the Cupra TDI and the FR TDI, the Cupra was sub contracted out for design and the FR was the later in house spec (same spec but design and made in house to keep costs tighter). Is this correct, if so i'm guessing the exhaust system will be exactly the same??

The old problem with this is how come Magnex list an exhaust for the FR TDI but not the Cupra TDI

MattFrench

No poke without smoke
Jan 16, 2007
www.rsfrench.com
cupras are found on 04 54 plates fr on the 05 55. just seats new style of marketing. diferences are cosmetic, mainly seat trim and wheels. a few others like audio cd or old school tape. but what will fit a fr will fit a cupra. also bear in mind engine and suspension/ brake componets are shared with the golf mkiv

Cupra TDI 150

Sep 25, 2007
Rang Magnex today and they said the XSS08-FS1 for the Leon FR TDI wouldn't fit the Cupra TDI, how does that figure as they are the same car just different name

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
Yes because the exhaust exit on the FR is different to the Cupra Tdi - it's an LCR rear bumper not the facelifted Cupra one :)

100% right. I just had my exhaust modded over the weekend and it was a trickier job than the FR bumpers. The Cupra back box is slightly left of the exit hole meaning the tail pipes have a twist in them.

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
Yes because the exhaust exit on the FR is different to the Cupra Tdi - it's an LCR rear bumper not the facelifted Cupra one :)

Hang on...

FR+ had the Cupra R bumpers...
FR have the MY03 bumpers (facelift)
Cupra TDI have My03 bumpers also, late reg (face lift)
Very Early Cupra TDI, (pre face lift) had the bumper before that with the black bottom half..

So looking at that, the FR and Cupra TDI DO FIT, but if you get anything for the FR+ you will get a Cupra R rear bumper spec only, but personally think they will spec for the MY03 bumper as that was the bulk of the sales, the FR+ only came at the last 6 months before the Mk2 Leon came into play, so it was Seat flogging all the spare Cupra R bumpers on to TDI's

Last edited:

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
You should have the MY03.. the facelift
you dont have a line that splits the bumper in two do you?

Basically, my take of it was anything past 03 will be facelift, hence the part code is MY03..

Nyteshade

Is it dark yet?
Feb 1, 2005
Satan's Layby
You should have the MY03.. the facelift
you dont have a line that splits the bumper in two do you?

Basically, my take of it was anything past 03 will be facelift, hence the part code is MY03..

Like this

140104016.jpg

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
Thats the facelift MY03 bumper!

The other type is this (pre facelift)
1861709499.jpg

then the FR+
(last 6 months of sale)

url

Last edited:

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
..... and the FR was available from Sept 2004. Mine is a 54 plate (October) although I ordered a Cupra not knowing about the change about to occur whilst on order to the FR. Happy that I got the FR though. The FR and Cupra were exactly the same other than badges, wheels and wing mirrors. Some of the trim levels chnged (eg deleted std 6 disk cd unit and made it an option) but other than that it was the same I think. Certainly the same in terms of panels and body kit.

Shrek

Sep 20, 2004
Wokingham
Same here as S3 AKR ordered a Cupra and got an FR (54 plate). I think I was probably amongst the first to get an FR, it came with the FR wheels, wing mirrors and badges, but oddly ALSO came with the 6 disc changer and a Cupra badge at the back...

Dubbernut

Dec 16, 2006
We have just got a 55 plate FR TDi so am i right in thinking these are a kind of run out model with a Cupra kit etc with 17's instead of 18's.
Also other than body mods what other differences are there between Cupra TDis and FR's.

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
The FR+ had the Cupra R body kit. The FR was the same body kit as the lesser Cupra. I s'pose with the late change to FR it could be considered a run out model but I think they were trying to establish the FR name in readiness to drop the Cupra R name and reduce it to just Cupra.

Mine was factory order and came with the 6-disc changer as they had to supply this since the original car ordered (a Cupra in my case) would have had it. No Cupra badges on my motor though! FR through and through.:roflmao:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise