Cupra Winter Wheels

rryans11

MK3 Leon Cupra 290
Feb 4, 2012
UK
Hi guys, back again with another cupra :) apparently putting the baby on the roof of the 370z was not an option. :LOL:

I've been looking into getting some winter wheels and was wondering what you guys are using? I'm thinking of going down to 18s but was curious to know if anyone has went down to 17s and if they had any issues clearing the brake calipers?

Curious to know your thoughts as I currently have the 19 inch sub 8 wheels and I'd rather run wheels that wouldn't get ruined by road salt!

If you have any pics please send them in, here's a pic of the cupra.

DSC_0152 - Copy.JPG

Reactions: Miguel 7

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
My older daughter went for 18" wheels/tyres as I suggested that as she would probably fit them in October as the rainy season starts then and remove them in April, then she should consider getting wheels that look okay as well as make life easier/safer in winter conditions.
Sadly with movement restrictions, these winter wheels have remained on her car since they were first fitted back in last October!

She sourced a set of Autec Wizard Gunmetal Grey 8.0J 18” ET45 5/112 centre bore 70.0mm (W8018 8J18 H2 LK112 ET45), with winter tyres Goodyear Ultra Grip Performance Gen 1 225/40 R18 92V XL , from MyTyres. I got her to buy a set of correct length bolts and locking bolts as the supplied bolts were really too long. The locking bolts bought were Lock Set of Bimecc UB428-Black, but the wheel bolts were just plain silver and 27mm long, which I painted the tops of - if doing that again, I would have bought a set of chemi blackened Brimecc as there was not enough room to fit the SEAT plastic bolt covers.

Reactions: rryans11

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
I’ve run 17” winter wheels on my Cupra, but it has the 340mm front discs. These wheels were originally from my Octavia VRS running the same front brake set up, and were the TUV approved size at the time (2013/14 when 18” winter tyres were very rare).

The tyres are 225/45/R17 on a 7.5J rim with ET40 offset. The rims are Dezent TDs. Clearance over the callipers is not great 2-3 mm max, and low profile balance weights are essential. The spoke design/inner profile on 17” rims can affect fit over the callipers too. Also uses M14, 1.5, 28 mm conical bolts.

Now that 18” winter rubber is more widey available, I would probably go for a set of 18”s if I was to purchase now.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Oh, and the survival rate for spigot rings being delivered as part of a wheels+tyres set when ending up in UK can be very low, so I bought in a set of spigot rings to make life easier than fighting with Mytyres needing to chase UK couriers - one box of bolts+spigot ring was lost and three boxes of bolts+spigot ring were scattering in the back of the local delivery van - maybe I was just unlucky, I'd doubt it though as it all looked to be due to poor securing of these bolts+spigot ring to the inside of the wheels, hint, these boxes weighed too to be secured with sticky tape - well once when in UK anyway!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
What other point, when I suggested that my daughter bought 18" winter wheels, I also suggested that they would be 7.5J and ideally OEM in "style" so that she could just keep using the original bolts and locking bolts, because she bought non OEM "style" she needs to keep a set of the original bolts in the car in case she has to use the steel spare wheel. Also, and maybe worse, she chose 8.0J and mainly because of that, there is absolutely no rim protection offered by these tyres and maybe even any tyres of that size that did have rim protection bands - if you were to place these wheels flat on the ground, the alloy rims would make contact with the ground/floor, so stacking them for storage in summer will always require a layer of card or carpet between each wheel to avoid marking the rims!

rryans11

MK3 Leon Cupra 290
Feb 4, 2012
UK
I’ve run 17” winter wheels on my Cupra, but it has the 340mm front discs. These wheels were originally from my Octavia VRS running the same front brake set up, and were the TUV approved size at the time (2013/14 when 18” winter tyres were very rare).

The tyres are 225/45/R17 on a 7.5J rim with ET40 offset. The rims are Dezent TDs. Clearance over the callipers is not great 2-3 mm max, and low profile balance weights are essential. The spoke design/inner profile on 17” rims can affect fit over the callipers too. Also uses M14, 1.5, 28 mm conical bolts.

Now that 18” winter rubber is more widey available, I would probably go for a set of 18”s if I was to purchase now.
Thanks for that mate I forgot about how the weights may affect things with limited clearance, I think I'm swaying more to 18s as it'll future proof myself if I do go for a BBK in future - I've seen some nice setups running on 18s.

rryans11

MK3 Leon Cupra 290
Feb 4, 2012
UK
What other point, when I suggested that my daughter bought 18" winter wheels, I also suggested that they would be 7.5J and ideally OEM in "style" so that she could just keep using the original bolts and locking bolts, because she bought non OEM "style" she needs to keep a set of the original bolts in the car in case she has to use the steel spare wheel. Also, and maybe worse, she chose 8.0J and mainly because of that, there is absolutely no rim protection offered by these tyres and maybe even any tyres of that size that did have rim protection bands - if you were to place these wheels flat on the ground, the alloy rims would make contact with the ground/floor, so stacking them for storage in summer will always require a layer of card or carpet between each wheel to avoid marking the rims!
Thanks for that mate, I'll be sure to look at the bolt sizes and will source spigot rings etc. if required. I've purchased aftermarket alloys many times without any issues, but thanks for the heads up.

Mtailor

Aug 9, 2018
London
i'm going to be using 18" wheels with my Brembos. I've gone for Team Dynamics 18x8.5j ET45. These should clear the calipers - i hope!

Mtailor

Aug 9, 2018
London
Calipers are being refurbed and the wheels are in the shed. I got them for trackdays, Standard brakes are OK for daily, but with the added heat etc of trackdays i have no choice but to go upto the 4 pot Brembo.

It will be some time before they are fitted. However, there are a number of members here that are either running the Team Dynamics pro race or the OZ racing ultraleggera/superturismo with BBK on the Mk3 Cupra