DAB radio text keeps disappearing

cheesecakelover

Nov 24, 2020
I've noticed the DAB radio text keeps disappearing, even though the radio text setting is enabled. The radio text doesn't disappear when I'm driving but it does when I turn the radio on after the car has been parked and locked. A radio reset (by holding the power button for approximately twenty seconds) resolves the issue temporarily but the radio text disappears again - not necessarily when the car is parked and locked straight away afterwards, but perhaps after a few trips. I'm also not sure whether not turning the infotainment system off by pressing the power button before I leave the car makes any difference, as I usually just leave the infotainment system on which turns off automatically when I open the door to exit the car. The radio text appears on the radio text and station info views - it's just the preset list view that's affected. No fault codes have been logged. The only pattern of behaviour I've noticed is that the radio text disappears when the car is parked and locked - I haven't tried driving around with the radio off and turning it back on again. I've highlighted the radio text in question. I've tried resetting the radio back to factory settings but this didn't permanently sort the issue. Any ideas?

IMG_20210129_124432-edited.png

Last edited:

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
You mean that is disappears and doesn't come back on its own?

cheesecakelover

Nov 24, 2020
You mean that is disappears and doesn't come back on its own?
That's right. It disappears when the car is locked and parked - not every time, but sometimes. I haven't worked out yet whether the text disappears when the radio is off whilst I'm driving.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I've never heard of that. It disappears and comes back in normal use but that's due to the signal sent out by the station, it has nothing to do with the car.

Does it happen on all stations?

cheesecakelover

Nov 24, 2020
It happens on all DAB stations. I switch between a few and give it a minute or so for the text to reappear, but it doesn't - until I hold the infotainment system power button down for approx. twenty seconds to reset it.

cheesecakelover

Nov 24, 2020
Just tried a full factory reset of all settings and data. The radio text setting was enabled by default but the text wasn't displaying for any of the stations, even after a quick restart of the infotainment system. The only solution is holding down the power button for approximately 20 seconds as a soft reset.

Fester999

May 17, 2020
My 17 plate leon does this.
As you say only on the preset list.
The text can be working then not next time I use the car. Strange

cheesecakelover

Nov 24, 2020
Good choice of radio station by the way.
Planet Rock is my station of choice :)

My 17 plate leon does this.
As you say only on the preset list.
The text can be working then not next time I use the car. Strange
Interesting that I'm not the only one. I wonder if it's a software issue. I started making notes to see if I could spot a pattern. The only pattern I noticed is that the problem occurs when the car is parked and locked. There's a fault code for the front assist radar which keeps getting logged and the master tech at a dealership and I noticed it happens when the car is parked and locked, so I'm wondering if the radio text issue is linked.

Behaviours observed:
  • Only preset list view affected. Radio text and station info views not affected.
  • No fault codes.
  • All DAB stations affected.
  • Radio text disappearing when car is parked and locked.

Attempts to resolve that don’t work:
  • Resetting radio back to factory settings.
  • Resetting settings and data back to factory settings.
  • Disabling and re-enabling radio text setting.
  • Disabling and re-enabling radio text setting, then turning infotainment system off and back on.

Attempt to resolve that temporarily works:
  • Resetting infotainment system by holding power button for approx. 20 seconds temporarily resolves issue.

Did a search and came across this thread on a different forum - different make and model - same issue - software update fixed it. My car is booked to go back to the dealer in a few weeks, so I'll ask whether there's a software update available.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fester999

Fester999

May 17, 2020
Keep me updated mate.
My car is due a service around April.
It is annoying but you get used to it.

cheesecakelover

Nov 24, 2020
It's strange that you have the logo for Planet Rock and I don't.

If you hold the power button for approximately twenty seconds to reboot the system, you'll probably find that the DAB radio text reappears but will disappear again after the car is parked and locked a few times.

The courtesy car I had recently was brand new and the DAB radio text was always displayed. Mine disappears for all stations after the car is parked and locked a few times, but comes back temporarily after a reboot which leads me to believe it might be a software issue.

Fester999

May 17, 2020
I downloaded the logo onto an sd card put that into the spare slot in the glovebox. Then used the options to add to the station. Some stations do it if you press the preset box to save the station.

Reactions: cheesecakelover

cheesecakelover

Nov 24, 2020
I downloaded the logo onto an sd card put that into the spare slot in the glovebox. Then used the options to add to the station. Some stations do it if you press the preset box to save the station.
That explains it! Some stations save the logo when I press a preset box to save the station.

Fester999

May 17, 2020
Planet rock doesn't, don't know why?
If you google station logos you can download millions of em.

cheesecakelover

Nov 24, 2020
The radio text came back, then it went, then it came back again, and round and round we go. It comes and goes on its own - no idea why. No fault codes in the car's system. Still wondering if it's a software issue.

Reactions: Fester999

cheesecakelover

Nov 24, 2020
They all do that.
So you're saying that it's normal for the DAB radio text to sometimes not show for all stations on one view? It seems odd that the text shows for all stations on the other views, but it's just the one view that's affected.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
So you're saying that it's normal for the DAB radio text to sometimes not show for all stations on one view?

The text is transmitted by the stations and it's a hit and a miss what you do or don't get. I assume it'll be down to signal strength, what the station bothers to transmit etc but sometimes you get it and sometimes you don't. I can't see it being anything to do with the radio itself.