Damage to car while in Dealers (pics included) - need advice please!

Cyclone

This dealer offer a 2 year warranty on any work done, and as the paint job on the new rear bumper (insurance job) was: 1) not the right colour, and 2) covered in 'orange peel', I got them to do it again which they were happy to do, and they sent the car back off to the bodyshop.

I went to pick it up again today and the bumper was fine. Drove away and got to the end of the road and noticed the steering wheel felt odd, upon inspection I noticed some scoring marks in the leather around the left (10 and 11 o'clock), then noticed more on the right (1 and 2 o'clock), and a huge gowdge out at 5 o'clock.
Pics with phone camera so a bit crappy and blurry.

Scoring marks at the top:
IMAGE_363arrows.jpg

Deep score mark at the bottom:
IMAGE_364.jpg

I drove back to the garage, and when I got out I noticed a 'popped blister' about the size of a pea, and a long white streak running along the paintwork along the top of the passenger door, onto the drivers door, and also along the roof line, down the side of the windscreen, and along the vertical edge of the windscreen near the rubber seal.

Pics here are really bad as it's a yellow car the white marks don't show up too well.

IMAGE_365arrows.jpg

IMAGE_366arrows.jpg

IMAGE_367arrows.jpg

I thought it looked like burn marks where the paint had been burnt off due to high friction, and initially I thought this might have been where they'd buffed the paintwork up, but neither the dealer manager or I could work out why they'd have been polishing near the door when the respray was at the bumper. Now I wonder if it could have been friction caused by jet-washing the car at the bodyshop. The washer set too powerful and used too close. Does this seem reasonable? Any other suggestions?!

I also noticed other blister marks on the bonnet too, which presumably started life as a small chip and the jet has lifted the clear coat off and forced water underneath it?

I thought it wise to check the rest of the car over and to my horror I found this:
IMAGE_368.jpg

IMAGE_370.jpg

IMAGE_369.jpg

Yes, front splitter not just popped out, but well and truly ripped. Firstly the dealer wasn't having any of it and claimed that it was me. I put him straight and eventually he did accept to do the work, although he kept pointing out that it was the bodyshop who did the work on the car! "Err... yes, but I took the car to YOU to do the work, so YOU are responsible!"

The car is staying at the garage and is going to be investigated by the MD of the dealership. I'm pretty sure that the bodyshop have jetwashed the f*ck out of it, burnt the clearcoat, and colourcoat off, leaving just the primer exposed.

It will need: a new splitter (possible front bumper if they've really damaged it), re-trimming of the steering wheel or a new wheel, 3 panels (excluding the bonnet) respraying which will leave it looking like a bloody patchwork quilt. At the moment they aren't accepting the bonnet as part of the damage caused by them, as we thought it was buffing that caused the white marks and blistering, but I think the stone chips on the bonnet have been made worse by the jetwashing.

I'm really upset by all this! I love my car and am utterly horrified that it's come back like this! The dealership is good, the staff are very friendly, and they are comparatively cheap, but these guys at the bodyshop have gone and damaged my car and confidence in the garage.

Any advice, comments, help would be most welcome.
Thanks
Tom

chryslerben

jet washing will only lift paint off not leave burn marks those white marks you have are from "mopping" what they've probably done is repaint the rear bumper and then applied paint to the surrounding areas to blend it, telltale signs are usually overspray around the boot shuts, rear lights, wheel arches and underside of the vehicle. if its been mopped to that degree then id say the workmanship of the painter isnt upto scratch as its a method hiding bad work and inperfections. sorry to be a downer lol

chryslerben

as a disclaimer though the photos arent of particularly good quality i'd get some high quality photos taken before letting them touch the vehicle again in case evidence is needed later on

Kalel

Its called paintwork bruising so a local paintshop told me, it would of happened when the car was 1st sprayed.I have it along the top of my door,

Cyclone

Thanks for your replies :)

Don't think much of their bodyshop at all after the first attempt at spraying it, and this paint damage appeared after their second attempt at the bumper. However it is nowhere near the bumper and so no idea why it's there?!

Higher quality pics below:

4438986028_455a606d22_b.jpg

4438209137_5bf775d298_b.jpg

Other suggestions have been a car wash. This car has never been to a carwash since I've owned it and I've had it for 4 years.

Just wondering what 'paint bruising' is, and how it is firat caused, and then how it can suddenly appear on three separate panels in a relatively small area and not anywhere else on the car? :confused:

Kalel

Soz Im nae sure how its caused mine only appeared a month ago Smooth to touch no peeling but this white marks.He described it as bruising something that can happen when 1st spraying if the surface is knocked Im nae sure.If I find out anymore I'll feedback

nixr2

Sounds like a total nightmare!!! Hope the Dealer comes through for you!!!

super_electric

Ps3 Tag: nixonoioi
Aug 20, 2007
North Yorkshire
The “popped blister” pictures looks just like what happened on my car after using a high pressure hose at work to clean it :think:… and ended up with lacquer peel on the roof and rear of the car was very pissed off!! :censored:...... Hope u get yours sorted tho

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members