Damo’s Carbon Edition

MATT RILEY

Oil burner
May 9, 2004
Hi Damo, can I just ask about the key cover please mate. Have seen these on the bay advertised as genuine but they seem to come with a bonding agent? surely they can't be glued together as you can't change the battery? You said it was tricky to fit how so? Many thanks mate and loving the ST!

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Hi Damo, can I just ask about the key cover please mate. Have seen these on the bay advertised as genuine but they seem to come with a bonding agent? surely they can't be glued together as you can't change the battery? You said it was tricky to fit how so? Many thanks mate and loving the ST!
Sadly these things are stuck down with 3M tape.

You get the carbon cover, 2 lots of pre cut 3M tape, an alcohol wipe and a gel you use to wipe the area the 3m tape will touch to help bond.

move had the white Cupra one before, that’s the same but the cover is in 2 pieces.

You are right it will be tricky to change the battery. The white one I managed without breaking it. The carbon fibre one maybe a little trickier to get off but does feel stronger

Reactions: MATT RILEY

MATT RILEY

Oil burner
May 9, 2004
Ok thanks for that Damo, slightly put off now but it does look good. Torn now as my rubber pad does look a bit ropy!

Thanks for the reply mate.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Ok thanks for that Damo, slightly put off now but it does look good. Torn now as my rubber pad does look a bit ropy!

Thanks for the reply mate.
Put a fresh battery in for the start and you’ll be fine. I only changed the battery after 3 years and the car was a 6 month old ex demo when I bought it.

However I do think this key cover is better value. It just doesn’t really go with my current car:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MUS9QTH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_JLDZDbT9YCV30

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Well my footrest is done...

F3A08FE3-3443-4E51-B6E6-AA7419B3AD53.jpeg
8CADE57F-6F7F-445A-A05E-20967376ADF7.jpeg

And the design of the passenger side light is coming along too :)

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
So last Sunday, I took the car to the Progressive Parts Dyno day at Unicorn in Stockport.

I was a bit nervous as I've had both high and lows when putting previous cars on the dyno, and as anyone who attended can confirm, its not a nice experience listening to your car screaming on them lol

Well the car did 3 runs and came out with a peak power of 334.2hp and 375.2 lbft:

IMG_3278.JPEG

You can imagine I was disappointed when Racingline quote 365hp (but only 358lbft). However I wanted to see how the standard cars performed and @paddy6789's identically tuned car. When his came out with 392hp, I was doubly gutted. The only saving grace, he'd gone Stage 2 and kept it quiet the *******!

However as the day progressed, standard cars like @Maypack's and @adogillo's where coming out with 309-311hp. JB4 cars with 350hp, and a stage 1 4drive with the same parts but APR tune came out with 370.

Weirdly the standard carbon of @Scotty's came out with a little under standard, however this likely attributed to the guys a Unicorn saying his car needs a VAQ service based on how it was on the dyno's rollers.

So as the day went on @PP Mark and @PP Gareth from Progressive Parts, made a point of saying to me they themselves were not happy, something clearly wasn't right and assured me they were already investigating it.

So much so the car was re-flashed with an updated tune from Racingline that afternoon and was put back on the dyno. @PP Mark confirmed it may not make much of a difference but would at least give an indicator.

Anyway after 5 more runs, the car came out with a little more power and even more torque - 341.9hp and 392.5lbft.

IMG_3281.JPEG

Still a good bit short of expected figures, even on a harsh dyno. Now I could of lost my temper, spat my dummy out and then thrown my toys out the pram too. However as @PP Mark is literally doing that for me and has assured me Racingline and himself are going to be investigating, I can't ask anymore :) He has always been open an honest and he has my confidence :)

There is clearly something hindering the cars performance, just need to get to the bottom of it before I look at Stage 2.

So for now it all about snazzy lights for my interior to keep me happy lol

Last edited:

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
So last Sunday, I took the car to the Progressive Parts Dyno day at Unicorn in Stockport.

I was a bit nervous as I've had both high and lows when putting previous cars on the dyno, and as anyone who attended can confirm, its not a nice experience listening to your car screaming on them lol

Well the car did 3 runs and came out with a peak power of 334.2hp and 375.2 lbft:

View attachment 11476

You can imagine I was disappointed when Racingline quote 365hp (but only 358lbft). However I wanted to see how the standard cars performed and @paddy6789's identically tuned car. When his came out with 392hp, I was doubly gutted. The only saving grace, he'd gone Stage 2 and kept it quiet *******!

However as the day progressed, standard cars like @Maypack's and @adogillo's where coming out with 309-311hp. JB4 cars with 350hp, and a stage 1 4drive with the same parts but APR tune came out with 370.

Weirdly the standard carbon of @Scotty's came out with a little under standard, however this likely attributed to the guys a Unicorn saying his car needs a VAQ service based on how it was on the dyno's rollers.

So as the day went on @PP Mark and @PP Gareth from Progressive Parts. Made a point of saying to me they themselves were not happy, something clearly wasn't right and assured me they were already investigating it.

So much so the car was re flashed with an updated tune from Racingline that afternoon and was put back on the dyno. @PP Mark confirmed it may not make much of a difference but would at least give an indicator.

Anyway after 5 more runs, the car came out with a little more power and even more torque - 341.9hp and 392.5lbft.

View attachment 11477

Still a good bit short of expected figures, even on a harsh dyno. Now I could of lost my temper, spat my dummy out and then thrown my toys out the pram too. However as @PP Mark is literally doing that for me and has assured me Racingline and himself are going to be investigating, I can't ask anymore :) He has always been open an honest and he has my confidence :)

There is clearly something hindering the cars performance, just need to get to the bottom of it before I look at Stage 2.

So for now it all about snazzy lights for my interior to keep me happy lol

I felt for you @Damo H. I honestly did. It was my first ever run on a Dyno and I was bricking it when I heard how the cars ran but everything was done to look after the cars and I was well happy with my results (and my free panel filter ).

I’m sure once PP and Racingline have things sorted out your car will be where it’s expected to be.

Your car is a looker and everyone commented on how it looked too .

Looking forward to seeing it again in January along with it’s increase in power and new light up foot rest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Well fitting @paddy6789 's foot rest was a little fiddly, but the wiring was a ball ache.

I didn't like the idea of cutting wires so did lots of prep. Bought proper connector plus and made my own little wires to connect...

index.php

...so wiring took less than 30 seconds.

It also only took me about 30 seconds to take my old foot rest out.

So it should of been a 5 minute job at most.

But no. although the screw went in 2nd attempt with @paddy6789 's car. It took me nearly 40 minutes to get the footrest fitted, and a LOT of swearing. The screw kept falling out of position.

Spoke to Dave the guy who's made it and he's already took on board my fitting feedback and going to tweak it so the screw doesn't fall out :D Can't say fairer than that

And as you can see it was well worth the effort. Great bit of kit...

upload_2019-11-25_14-41-42.png

DaRa

Nov 21, 2019
Interior is standard apart from the phone mount and Carbon Paddles pictured above.
Would you please have a picture or reference for your phone mount ? I can't find any position nor mount which would work well for me
PS : splendid car !!

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Would you please have a picture or reference for your phone mount ? I can't find any position nor mount which would work well for me
PS : splendid car !!
It’s a Brodit clip, which at first I just had a magnetic mount stuck on, with a metal plate in my phone case.

But as I now use wireless chaneging I swapped it for a wireless charging mount just glued to the Brodit clip.

Brodit 654890 ProClip 654890 Angled Mount for Seat Leon (13 - 14 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00J4RHIZA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Qpd5DbJTVC63R

Reactions: DaRa

DaRa

Nov 21, 2019
Yeah I have a magnet one, and I put it on the closest vent from me, but it kinda goes in the way of the steering, which isn't convenient. If I understand correctly you put it on the far vent from you, and this would be too far for me. I need it closer since I watch it very often (for police alerts)
Still gonna have to look for a better solution for my like

Thanks for your answer

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Yeah I have a magnet one, and I put it on the closest vent from me, but it kinda goes in the way of the steering, which isn't convenient. If I understand correctly you put it on the far vent from you, and this would be too far for me. I need it closer since I watch it very often (for police alerts)
Still gonna have to look for a better solution for my like

Thanks for your answer
Mine doesn’t go into the vent, but your right it’s further away. I have the speed cameras etc on my Nav.

but Brodit do one that sits under the drivers side vent too

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.