Damp patch!

liamhurley

Uh oh...rained all weekend and I've noticed a wet patch in my drivers footwell! :cry: It's a MK4 TDi 3dr - anybody got any ideas or had any similar probs? I thought I'd heard something about Leon's leaking into the footwell, but Ibiza's too???

Any help would be much appreciated.

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
Sometimes If Door Is Incorrectly Lined Up Rubber Seal Around Window Frame Doesnt Keep A Tight Seal Causing Water To Leak In Or It Could Be Coming Through The Foot Well Check Round Your Steering Colum Where It Goes Throu The Bulk Head Sometimes The Rubber Seal Can Be Disformed!

liamhurley

Cheers man, will try to have a proper look over the next day or two. Seems a bit odd as I couldn't see any obvious signs of leaking, just a big wet patch right in the middle of the mat. I just hope it's a cheap and easy fix!

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
If it's still raining you could try laying a bit of polythene over the carpet and a sheet of paper on top of that. If the doors are leaking the water will be soaking the carpet and coming upwards, so won't get through the polythene. If it's dripping from above it should show on the paper. My theory only. I don't know if it actually works! Have you felt underneath the dashboard for drips of water?

Has somebody fitted any new wiring through the bulkhead for ICE or similar. If this had been done without a watertight grommet it could cause a leak.

The other likely source of leaks is the pollen filter but this is located in the passenger footwell.

Good luck. Ibizas are not generally known for leaking.:)

liamhurley

Cheers mate, I haven't had a proper look as yet, but I'd guess it's not coming from the door, as it's right in the middle of the mat. I'll have a poke around in the footwell and behind the dash I think. Although, saying that, the door seals don't seem great - I've noticed water running off the bottom of the passenger door when you open it sometimes after heavy rain (although it doesn't appear to be getting into the car on that side).

Mine's an older mk4, but even so, it seems a bit strange on a 35k car. My old F-reg golf never leaked a drop!

Forgot to mention, it's never been modded with any ICE etc as far as I know, so all should be standard.

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
with the door seal not being snug fit the seal is open the rain will get on inside of seal and run down inside of door and will work its way to the centre of the footwell as its the lowest point and eventually gather up causing a puddle this has happened to cars at my work definatly an option!

but my bets its something near the bulk head could even be a random hole under floor mat maybe

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
ol timer has a good idea on diagnosing the problem tho give that a go if not get someone to pour water on the roof and doors see if you can see or hear ne thing

gazjones

i had big problems on my passenger side it was where i ran my amp cable through the bulk head i didnbt seal it up properly and loads of water got in and due to the floor having chanels in it is ran all to the back check for and damp behind your pedals and up the bulk head

gazjones

it was the gromet i didnt use for pasasing the wire through the bulk head! all my fault really

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
i dont personally do sound systems as it just causes problems. dead battery, leaking water, ugly wires and bad headaches! :headhurt: i dont see the attraction of having music so loud that Dave 4streets away can hear it?:rocker:

liamhurley you found the prob yet?

liamhurley

Still here - been a bit busy!

Still not had a proper look yet but I suspect it may be the drivers door seal, as I did notice a bit of water running over the plasticky, inner-sill part when I opened the door this morning. Both sides are pretty crap in that respect - when you open the doors after it's been raining I have noticed some water around the sills, which can run off the bottom of the doors. Having said that, the passenger side carpet is 100% dry, so I dunno - perhaps it is something around the bulkhead/pedals, as it seems to have leaked a fair bit?

Anyone have any idea of door seal costs? Even if it's something else I reckon they'll need changing anyway, unfortunately.

Thanks for all the replies BTW, I'll keep you posted when I find the problem!

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
dont need new seals for the doors you just need to adjust the doors to fit better chances are the doors have been off for some reason or anouther and have just been slapped on!

2slim

I suspect it may be the drivers door seal, as I did notice a bit of water running over the plasticky, inner-sill part when I opened the door this morning. Both sides are pretty crap in that respect - when you open the doors after it's been raining I have noticed some water around the sills, which can run off the bottom of the doors

I drive an 02LC and had a similar problem which I cured by punching two holes in the bottom of the door seal (4 - 6" apart) to let the water out, seems to have done the trick:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.