damp seatbelt?

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
aware it's not unusual for a leon to leak, however i've never had any probs with water in the footwells, boot, or anywhere for that matter. however, last 2 or 3 months i've noticed my (drivers side) seatbelt is what can only be described as damp when i go to put it on ... not the section that rests outside the casing but the section that does rest inside.

anyone else experienced this? i'm wondering if water's getting in somewhere where the front / back doors meet. floor is completely dry. any ideas?

DamoR

Smoked!!!!
Oct 9, 2006
Birmingham
www.myspace.com
Check your door seals for starters. Are they split anywhere or is there a noticeable distortion in the seal which means there is an unequal pressure coming from the door and water could be coming in here. From my experiences at work water can get to the strangest of places. Usually water will keep running until it can find a way in so leak might not necessarily be by your seatbelt.

Only other reason could be the glass set position but since these doors aren't frameless I can't imagine it is that to be honest. Let me know how you get on....

DamoR

Smoked!!!!
Oct 9, 2006
Birmingham
www.myspace.com
Rookwise without actually owning my car yet and been able to check my thoughts were generalised but a common fault on most cars however your idea could definately be the route cause......

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
thanks guys, i'll check the seals but tbh i think they're okay. as for checking the hose that feeds rear screen, what's involved in checking it i.e. what has to come off?

Steve_B

Stacy mmmm.......
May 6, 2005
West Yorkshire
If you use screenwash I'd have thought you would be able to smell it on the seatbelt. At least that way you'd have more confidence in it being that before stripping the car down.

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
not keen on all the stripping back tbh and never thought about the soapy smell thing. i've never smelt the screen wash smell off the belt tbh, it's just damp and isn't sticky or anything which you might expect if screen wash water was dripping on it? plus, once its been out for a few mins it's dry which indicates it's only slightly damp.

perhaps i'll just live with it and investigate if it gets worse.

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
I wouldn't just live with it! The seatbelt is just about the most important bit of safety kit you have in your car. What if the bit you never get to pull out is absolutely soaking and beginning to rot!

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
I wouldn't just live with it! The seatbelt is just about the most important bit of safety kit you have in your car. What if the bit you never get to pull out is absolutely soaking and beginning to rot!
actually, good point. as a kind of interim check, i'm assuming it's easier to take the cover off to reveal the coiled up seatbelt rather than taking half the car out to check the screenwash pipe? i'll have a look at that area of trim tomorrow, if it's a case of a few screws i'll take it off this weekend and investigate.

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
I think rookwise may be on the right lines though. While my Toledo does not have a rear washer, I expect the interior is much like the Leon and I can see how the central pillar and plastic casing would chanel water/washer fluid from a leak anywhere along the roofline if the washer pipe runs there. It would form a natural central drain point.

You could unscrew your interior light (and/or sunroof motor panel if you have one) then pass a straightened coat hanger or flexible wire with a dry swab on the end over to the area there might be a leak from - just to test if moisture is collecting behind the head lining? This would avoid having to pull out the lining or bits of plastic trim for diagnosis. Obviously if you find there is a leak you would have to get it sorted.

Remember checking the coiled up bit of seatbelt may identify the consequence of the leak but not the cause of it!

Last edited:

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
discovered today when putting belt on that it was a bit sticky ... looks as though there is definitely water getting in and it appears as though it's washer fluid :( .

never had any probs with my baby since new ... might have known it was too good to last!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise