Damper fault warning

Gaz9000

Oct 14, 2021
Hi all,

I'm getting the above warning flash up on the dash, and then clear itself on restarting the car (65 plate Cupra 280 ST). I've read the codes with a handheld OBD2 scanner but nothing is being stored and/or cant be accessed by the code reader.

Does anyone know if other scanning tools would be able to access a different level of code storage or is this code only readable when the warning is still present? And, when I do read it, is the car smart enough to tell me which corner needs replaced? Cant generate the damn thing now I've got my code reader with me or I'd be able to answer for myself.

Also, the dampers all look fine, bit of surface rust after 75k but no leaks, DCC wiring seems intact but gonna give them a wobble to see if I can trigger it. Anyone know any method to try and trip the code? Other than strategically hit a pothole with each corner and hope it doesnt bend the wheels :D It's not yet bad enough to reveal itself under the old 'bounce each corner and see what doesn't dampen'.

Anyone encountered similar and and have any advice please?
Cheers

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Hi. I had the same warning not so long ago, then it went away. Thought I’d get it checked as I’d recently (ish) had a shock absorber replaced so thought it may have something to do with that. Took it back to the garage I had the shock done from. Turns out it was nothing to do with the new shock. There was an issue on a different corner. The bracket that holds the sensor in place had broken, hence the fault.

Gaz9000

Oct 14, 2021
Thanks for your reply. I've just been out to give the connections on the shock another good wiggle but they're not budging. I guess there could be an issue where they mount to the sensor housing on the body side but I'll need to get the wheels off for a better look.

There isn't any misting or leaks so other than what I've tried, or can try, I think I'll just have to wait til it throws a code and not turn the engine off.

Cheers

Gaz9000

Oct 14, 2021
Warning is back, damper fault warning disappears after a short time or when you play with the menus in the binnacle. Exclamation mark stays lit until engine is recycled and then its no longer present. The obd2 scanner I've got doesn't return any codes (when I've pulled over to check) even whilst the warnings are present.

Anyone know if VCDS or anything else can pull me a code for which corner I need to focus on?

Cheers

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
The warning on mine came on for a short period of time, then went off again and never came back on, like you’re saying is happening. If you’ve given it the once over and it’s fine then there mustn’t be anything to worry about. Did you jack it up and take the wheel off? My mechanic got it up on their ramp and spotted the broken bracket. May be worth having it checked over by a mechanic.

Reactions: Gaz9000

tony20

Apr 19, 2016
Blackpool
How did you get on with this? I am getting 2 warnings at the exact same time keep coming up, WARNING: Dampner Fault And ERROR: Headlight range control? wondering if the bracket mentioned has broke as it might hold both sensors?

tony20

Apr 19, 2016
Blackpool
Just been under the car, both front Headlight range control sensors were unbolted hanging loose... was probs due to me having the clutch replaced 3 months ago and they never fastened the bolts back on right. Anyway headlight warning now isn't coming on and for some weird reason I can't get the Fault - Dampner to come on either even after some enthusiastic driving.. Was shitting a brick thinking I was gonna have to pay out nearly £1500 on new shocks.. because of they are electric and cost £300 a pop...

Front shock absorbers - £234.68 available from SEAT Direct Parts here.

Rear shock absorbers - £273.16 available from SEAT Direct Parts here.

• Wow
Reactions: H Rafiq

Gaz9000

Oct 14, 2021
Just been under the car, both front Headlight range control sensors were unbolted hanging loose... was probs due to me having the clutch replaced 3 months ago and they never fastened the bolts back on right. Anyway headlight warning now isn't coming on and for some weird reason I can't get the Fault - Dampner to come on either even after some enthusiastic driving.. Was shitting a brick thinking I was gonna have to pay out nearly £1500 on new shocks.. because of they are electric and cost £300 a pop...

Front shock absorbers - £234.68 available from SEAT Direct Parts here.

Rear shock absorbers - £273.16 available from SEAT Direct Parts here.
Great news!

In a month or so it'll be time to change over to winter wheels so I'm gonna give it a really thorough check over then. It's really weird though, I can go hundreds of miles, potholes, crests, speed bumps etc and it not trigger. Then it might throw the damper warning seemingly from nowhere and without cause. I guess that indicate it might be an electronic/wiring issue.

Other part of me thinks I've just got the car with 75k miles, probably past their best, so maybe spend the 1k on all corners and get the best out of it for the next 5 years. Decisions...

Thanks for the links :)

Reactions: tony20

tony20

Apr 19, 2016
Blackpool
I mean.. mine has had for the last 4 years.. warnings on the MOT for misting on all the dampners.. after doing some digging found out that it's normal or shall i say common.. as long as your car isn't bouncing around and it's dampening / stablizing after a bump you should be good! save the money until it either fails an mot or the cars handling feels **** :)