Daniel M's FR PD170 - Fixed 24.07.2017

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Also picked up my short shifter from the post office. Should have it fitted later if the rain/snow stops.

Let me know what you think of it. Got mine done yday. It feels weird lol. I like it though. It'll take some getting used to. I keep slamming the gear stick into the stops.

Daniel M

Blackbelts & Chickenheads
Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
So a little update. Fitted the short shifter yesterday afternoon....it took a little longer to do than expected due to having to adjust the cables again as I couldn't engage 1st or 2nd.

Took the car for a quick blast down the road and after 5 minutes I couldn't engage 5th or 6th lol. I stripped it down again and found the issue to be with the ''side to side'' linkage and that the pivot pin isn't fully secured meaning it moves when in use and the clip on the linkage doesnt engage on the short shifter linkage as it should.

As a temporary measure I've stuck a cable tie on there to keep it in place and it has sorted it out until I can get a new side to side linkage.

First impressions of the shifter are that it will take getting used to, but certainly has a mechanical feel about it which I like.

MOT and tax due at the end of the month so will just get the car ready for that in the coming weeks.

Daniel M

Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
Couple of updates.

Car passed it's MOT this morning and for the second year on the bounce no advisories :)

Also passed a small milestone for the car last night.

Daniel M

Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
Congrats on the 100k and MOT. Your Leons holding up better than mine has been lately and I'm only at 86k! :)

It has it's fair share of niggles haha. My brothers is on 129k and its in the same shape as mine lol.

Great news about the MOT dude happy days :)

Yeah one less thing to worry about for a year haha.

Want to hopefully get the car up to a nicer standard during the summer. Starting with a massive clean and machine polish, car park dings sorted and general tidy up.

This time next year I'll be looking at replacing it I think.

Daniel M

Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
Thought I would make the most of the weather and gave the FR a big detail. Didnt take any before shots though stupidly.

Started off by blasting it with the Nilfisk to get rid of the top layer of dirt and dust, then gave it a layer of snow foam, rinsed with the Nilfisk again, then washed using AF lather, 2 bucket method, rinsed again, iron-x the whole car, rinsed again, dried, polished with PB black hole, waxed with Nattys paste wax, tyres dressed with Megs endurance gel, exhaust polished, trims and mud flaps treated with AG bumper and trim gel and finally gave the tyre another layer of endurance gel.

Took me 5 hours all in all.

Whilst it looks good I found some things that need attention....drivers side wing is bubbled on the underside so will be contacting Seat as it should still be under the bodywork warranty. Also the passenger side inner rear light has a broken lug which means its letting water in and finally the plethora of fine scratches I found mean I'm going to have to spend quite a few days with the machine polisher over the summer.

In better news it's going back to Big Fish Tuning for some tweaks and some rolling road time. Also awaiting another Rainsport 3 to be delivered.

Daniel M

Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
Looking good dan ..
could u send me link details for bonnet lifter for my cupra 1p

From middlesbrough myself.. somehow we don't get to spot each other :drive1:

Cheer
Rob

Thanks Rob.

Where abouts in Middlesbrough are you?

The bonnet lifter is off an 8L Audi A3, but the brackets etc are supplied by a member off the forum. I will send you his details once I dig them out.

Daniel M

Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
cheer mate

Located up Normanby

Will keep an eye out, though I'm in New Marske now (used to be in Marton).

Details for the guy who makes the brackets can be found here.......http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=410774&page=9 though he hasnt been on here since Feb but always worth a try emailing him.

There are details of what sizes the brackets need to be though in case you can make some yourself or know anyone who can.

Daniel M

Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
Had another Rainsport 3 fitted yesterday. Just need another 2 for the rears now.

In more exciting news, the car is booked in with Big Fish Tuning for the 3rd June for the map tweaking and a session on the rollers :)

Daniel M

Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
Well my trip to BFT on Saturday was very disappointing :(

The car couldn't be mapped any further as the air intake temp sensor was throwing some erratic readings meaning the run we managed to do only showed 198.5bhp when the map should be 205-210bhp. (Might be the cause of it feeling under powered).

A new sensor with TPS is £53 however, being my pessimistic self I thought I would scan the car before ordering a new sensor. VCDS didn't show any faults with this sensor or any faults related to it and the readings it was giving were significantly lower than the ones BFT showed me.

I know they weren't scamming me as I watched them do everything.

Not sure what to do now....

Should I just change it and see if it makes any difference?

Anyone know how hard these senors are to change?

Last edited:

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
What does the IAT sensor read when you check it with VCDS after the car has stood overnight? Ambient-ish? The coolant temp should also read the same (again within a degree or 2)

You got a picture of what the sensor looks like on these? Might be possible to clean it....

Are you sure it wasn't just a case of the IAT's genuinely getting that high on the dyno? There's a lot less air flow and cooling on a dyno compared with the driving in the real world. If it really was an intermittent reading then you might have no choice but to change it.

You will only ever get a faultcode if the resistance across the sensor exceeds the pre-defined max or min, i.e. gives a reading outside what is an accepted temperature.... Or if the sensor totally fails and there is an open circuit fault.

Last edited:

Daniel M

Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
What does the IAT sensor read when you check it with VCDS after the car has stood overnight? Ambient-ish? The coolant temp should also read the same (again within a degree or 2)

You got a picture of what the sensor looks like on these? Might be possible to clean it....

Are you sure it wasn't just a case of the IAT's genuinely getting that high on the dyno? There's a lot less air flow and cooling on a dyno compared with the driving in the real world. If it really was an intermittent reading then you might have no choice but to change it.

You will only ever get a faultcode if the resistance across the sensor exceeds the pre-defined max or min, i.e. gives a reading outside what is an accepted temperature.... Or if the sensor totally fails and there is an open circuit fault.

I will have to re-scan once it has been sat for a long period as I scanned it immediately after returning from BFT.

I don't have picture to hand unfortunately and google images doesnt help lol.

The car hadnt been on the dyno when it was initially checked by BFT, it was checked prior to it's first run.

Also when I spoke to TPS about the sensor they thought the IAT controlled boost as it's apparently down toward the intercooler.

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
I don't know the PPD well at all, but other PD engines in the VAG range have the MAP and IAT combined in a single sensor in the boost pipework, so that could well be what they mean.

Check the temps tomorrow before starting the car and let us know.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members