Dashboard fix

mishawel

Jul 8, 2016
The clipping nuts that secure the radio/heater panel (2 left side/2 right side after you remove the radio) broke off my dashboard.
How can I fix this without actually replacing the dash?
The piece of the dashboard that the nut mounts on have broken off the dash itself :(

SEAT Rule

Nov 19, 2019
The clipping nuts that secure the radio/heater panel (2 left side/2 right side after you remove the radio) broke off my dashboard.
How can I fix this without actually replacing the dash?
The piece of the dashboard that the nut mounts on have broken off the dash itself :(

Hello there,

I think I know the clips you mean is it these below ?
https://images.app.goo.gl/Qj7rjDe9eMPf6KTb9

If so then you might be able to glue the snapped off plastic pieces with plastic apoxy resin or ordinary Gorilla glue which is ment to be stronger than super glue, this would then allow you to reattach the metal clips.
It really depends how much has snapped of and if those pieces have disintegrated or not.
Any chance you can upload a photo/s of the area in question, just so I and others can see in detail.
Years ago I managed to fabricate some small pieces of metal, that I made to the correct shape & size to fit/attach to dashboard, basically in a similar place on your dashboard.

Hope this helps
Si

mishawel

Jul 8, 2016
Hello there,

I think I know the clips you mean is it these below ?
https://images.app.goo.gl/Qj7rjDe9eMPf6KTb9

If so then you might be able to glue the snapped off plastic pieces with plastic apoxy resin or ordinary Gorilla glue which is ment to be stronger than super glue, this would then allow you to reattach the metal clips.
It really depends how much has snapped of and if those pieces have disintegrated or not.
Any chance you can upload a photo/s of the area in question, just so I and others can see in detail.
Years ago I managed to fabricate some small pieces of metal, that I made to the correct shape & size to fit/attach to dashboard, basically in a similar place on your dashboard.

Hope this helps
Si
Yeah these exact clips
Unfortunately the plastic broke into really tiny pieces :(
So my only option is gluing self fabricated plastic that I need to make? Ahhh shitty ibiza

MW05

Oct 18, 2015
Not knowing what shape the broken plastic is, is it possible to cut out a section and glue in something of a similar shape? Or build up the broken section with epoxy and then sand it to shape?

SEAT Rule

Nov 19, 2019
Not knowing what shape the broken plastic is, is it possible to cut out a section and glue in something of a similar shape? Or build up the broken section with epoxy and then sand it to shape?

Yes unfortunately if your broken pieces are not to hand or disintegrated when they broke off, then yes you'll have to make a template out of metal or plastic, to be able to obtain the correct size and shape you need, to complete the damaged area's of your dashboard.
The thing with apoxy resin is it'll need to be fairly thick to make any repair piece strong enough when making it from scratch, I find it's ok to use say for glueing a broken plastic bracket, that has come away due to the original plastic welding failing.
You possibly could use fibre glass but you don't want those toxic dust particles, landing in your heater air vents if you're making a repair piece inside your car in situ, really your best bet is to either get a decent secondhand dashboard, or like I say is to spend some time making up a template, for the area's that are damaged or missing.
Or you could cut a section out of a half decent dashboard from a scrap yard, and use some apoxy resin to attach it to yours, either way wear a mask and goggles when rubbing/sanding down plastic / apoxy resin as the dust particles are not healthy.

Hope this helps
Si

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members