Day running lights

jimbo_w

Hey all,

My parents are soon getting the 1.4 automatic Ibiza as a second cheaper car to run around :)sick: they would have got something a lot more fun, but my mum needs an automatic gear box - bad back).

They were just wondering if there is anyway to have the lights on all the time - without having to turn them on manually? My dad also mentions that;

"With the Mercedes you can make such alteration at the dashboard - Volvos in the '80 needed a fuse removing."

So I suppose is there anything similar that can be done at all?

I suppose there is then the question if you can also still use your parking lights as well?

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

FR-RUSH

IBIZA FR TDI BLACK MAGIC
Dec 3, 2005
Islington
i do with my side lights on,

i think i get it from riding my motorbike, more visable to other motorists.

we both drive with dipped lights on all the time
Just force of habit really,
Guess it's what happens when you drive those invisible cars that only traffic wardens can see :lol:

Vick's old Fiat, and my Impreza both cars, the lights came on with ignition

jimbo_w

Sisson said:
Just a question...

Why would you want to drive round in broad daylight with your lights on???

I do it as well, its because people see me with my lights on and go "why has that idiot got his lights on?"...

The point is that they have seen me, so they are aware that I am there (say they are pulling out and they might not have noticed me else).

Prefer to look like an idiot than have an idiot drive into me!

T. Spark

jimbo_w said:
I do it as well, its because people see me with my lights on and go "why has that idiot got his lights on?"...

The point is that they have seen me, so they are aware that I am there (say they are pulling out and they might not have noticed me else).

Prefer to look like an idiot than have an idiot drive into me!

And I have a H.I.D kit, so looks cooool [B)]

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
i gather you mean sidelights as i would call em - position one on the switch ?

if you know how to use a multimeter then ye - piece of michael fish

just run an ignition feed to the switches output therefore when the ignition is turned on the car in turn thinks that you also turned on the sidelights

there is always the point that if you want them on - just use the switch provided :) but then what do i know ? ;)

Dario

DUBing :)
Jan 22, 2006
Zagreb,Croatia
here in Croatia you have to have your lights all the time turned on,my ibiza came with this option,when i start the car the lights go on,when i turn off,lights also turns off i dont have to do nothing

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I tend to drive with dipped headlights on too, anything to increase my visibility.

It's surprising on rural A roads how blind some people are, overtaking towards you, or pulling out without checking mirrors as you're overtaking.

dmjw01

Upstanding Member
Jul 28, 2005
Woking, UK
www.dmjwilliams.co.uk
I often drive with headlights on very bright sunny days when I'm driving along tree-lined rural roads with areas of dense shade. Otherwise it's really hard for other people to see you when you're in an area of shadow and the oncoming driver's eyes are accustomed to the bright sunshine.

Having the headlights permanently wired to come on is a bit daft in most countries, except you can see the point in a country like Sweden where a lot of the country is very gloomy for long periods of the year.

MattMK4IC

I drive all the time with my side lights on as u say increase your visability and also i think it looks rather cool...............

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
great from the front BUT

on a sunny day with the sun in your eyes will you notice a dim back light getting slightly brighter ? i.e.when you brake

Jan 29, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
Im pretty sure this can be done in VAGcom...
ive seen a Fabia vRS with this feature (well at least the dash-lights were on) ALA Audi... but its the law in several european countrys so it must be a software thing

Prowst

Here in Denmark, the law says that you allways have to drive with your lights on.. When the law was made the death-statistics turned out more positive :think:

HighlyEvolved

lights on all the time is kind of stupid in itself, but modifying the car to turn the lights on with ignition is downright retarded. Why would you spend a single cent when all you have to do is turn a knob?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.