Dealer Didn't Complete Service(surprise!)

Myles

Jun 22, 2004
Carterton, Oxon
I am in the process of booking in my Leon for its 30k service, when I notice that the Brake fluid hasnt been changed in 3 1/2 years, since new! I bought the car in 04, and as part of the deal I asked for the second 12 monthly service to be carried out, in its entirety, or so I thought. I was aware that the brake fluid needed to be changed every 24 months, so I expected that to be carried out as well. A year later, when I had my 20k/36 month service carried out, they asked me if I wanted the brake fluid changing. Well I thought 'no', as it has been done 12 months earlier. I thought it strange that they would ask this then, but all did not become apparent until today, when I looked in the Service Manual, and lo and behold, the dealer didnt do the brake fluid when they sold it to me! They probably didn't do much else as well!

Well, for the sake of £12k, I thought they would do £40 worth of work, but obviously I was wrong. So I rang the dealer, explained the above, and told them I live 350 miles away now, and the response I got was 'what do you want me to do about it' swiftly followed by ' did you only just notice this now?', suggesting the Service Manual is good literature to snuggle up in bed with of a night. Yes, you spanner, I did only notice it now....do you think I waited purposely until I moved away from the area?
F'ing fuming now (the guy that sold it to me will ring me back on Monday) I rang SEAT UK and tried to ascertain my position, and just to make sure I wasnt throwing a hissy fit for nothing. The guy on the other end of the phone was very helpful, and agreed that the service should have had the brake fluid done at the time. Just waiting on the dealer to come back to me with a bullsh!t excuse on Monday.

You may think I am being petty, but when I bought the car, I couldnt wangle anything extra out of them, I had 4 tyres with about 1500 miles left on them, £5 worth of fuel in the tank, and I paid for the tax. Oh, I got some mats!! Whoop-de-doo! So you think the small thing they promised me would be carried out, as they are making big time on the deal. I am going to chase this through SEAT UK and the dealer like a rat up a drainpipe[:@]

Any thoughts?

Russo

Second Row Forward
Sep 10, 2005
Hatfield, Herts
I've a similar issue i need to take up with SEAT too. And yes it was to do with the brake fluid as well. I bought my car only 8 mnths ago and the car had been previously serviced (40k) only months before i had bought it but Seat did carry out the 101 point check before i bought it.

When i brought my car to the nearest dealer/garage (which i will not be visiting again[:@] ) they told me that i needed a brake fluid change along with the aircon service? When i questionned this, they told me that since my 2001 ibiza cupra was sold originally, the brake fluid had NEVER been changed nor had the aircon been serviced (a fancy name for regassed)!

Now a rough calculation would say that before i purchased the car, the brake fluid should have been changed twice! And since i bought my car in late September, i wouldn't have needed to service the aircon as autumn and winter were drawing near.

Now i would like to know whats part of the 101 point check. They did change a dodgy tyre before i got the car but that was about it. I will be writing to Seat UK and maybe i might get some money back. Or maybe not?

dontnoanything

dontnoanything
Jul 19, 2005
gondor
sales do not like paying for extras where i work they will not pay for brake fluid changes we end up writing on the 102 check sheet brake fluid change due but does the buying customer see the 102 check sheet every time the work shop staff do not see the sheet after the vehicle is completed. and some times we are told to just do a oil change service plus the 102 check so we tend to put n/a where it says vehicle sold with correct service to manufactuers standard. and there is also an issue with sales staff filling in service books. my advise is wait a couple of weeks take your service book with your current mileage to the service desk and ask what service you require. then if your not happy go and see the sales man who sold you the car

andycupra

status subject to change
you have to ask.

most 'extras' or anything that is not mandatory are most usually not included unless asked for, or offered on top when you book the car in.

guessing the reason is they can include these but someone somewhere will quote without and then they wil never get work as they seem more expensive.

funny really, as things like brakes are important. however as its a time based interval they tend to get easily missed as they never seem to ask the age of the car when booking in. just the mileage and or 10,000 or 20,000 service...